The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 10, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
zebulonsmith

Ruger P95 Front Sight Replacement

This is normally a job that I wouldn't mess with myself, but I've tried three gunsmiths in my area and all three have been a disappointment in one way or another.

I recently purchased a set of Williams Firesights for my P95. The rear looks easy enough to drift out and replace, done that before plenty of times.

I haven't dealt with any pinned sights yet. For the front, do I just drift out the roll pins, left to right, I assume?

The front sight that williams sent isn't drilled at all, so I'm guessing I'll have to line it up with the pin holes, then drill it to match. Will figure that part out once I get there. I have access to a drill press, which will help.

Anybody have advice to add?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
wjkuleck

Sounds like you have it covered .

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old March 10, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3
croc4

The front site is easy to install, I did the same thing 3 months back, remove the front site and then use it as a template. transfer the holes from the old site to the new using a small drill bit or thin punch. Then use a drill press and drill out the holes you marked, go nice and slow, I think it took me 30-45 mins start to finish. Then just reverse the installation.

The difference is huge (IMO) the site picture is far far better than the factory sites, too bad the factory sites are so bad

Good luck,

Croc4
Old March 11, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
zebulonsmith

Thanks for the help, guys. Yeah, the factory sights are horrible. The rear is about 1/4 too high. At 50' if I get a good sight picture, I'm hitting about 6" high. Looks like these fiber optic jobbies will make a difference. I put a set of Novak FO sights on my 1911 and love 'em.
Old March 11, 2008, 06:01 AM   #5
NGIB

I put these on my P89 and you have the process covered. I had to do a bit of filing on the rear sight and drilling the holes in the new front was something I did very carefully. After doing this, my P89 was much better to shoot as the factory sights had been way off...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...