The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Stargazer

PACT chronographs...do you like yours...?

My Chrony has been giving constant errors and since I have modified it to accept two 9 volt batteries I doubt they would honor the warranty. Anyway I was looking into the PACT chronographs and wondered if any here used the Model 1 XP? Use the IR screens? Does it read good for you or does it give a lot of bad readings or errors?

On PACT's web site I see the IR Model 1 XP for $169.95, wonder if that comes with the IR screens or not?

With the Chrony I have tried with the screens and without the screens and I get constant error 1's and 9's. I shoot 50 rounds over it and get 5-6 readings which I am not sure I can trust or not as some are ridiculously high.

M70 Web Page
Old May 20, 2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

When the German military looked into chrongraphs with the idea of seeing whether or not they were worthwhile for their armorers, they use highly precise Doppler radar to look at bullet velocity of test rounds fired through chronographs to see which chronographs did or didn't match its measurements well? The only ones that did well at the time were the no-longer available Oehler 35P and the CED Millenium using its optional IR screens. I have both these instruments and they agree well. The IR screens on the CED can be used outdoors in place of conventional solar screens and can be run from a battery pack.

There is also a German made chronograph that came out since these tests which is made by a company that specializes in high speed switching electronics and which is reputed to be very good. It is sold by NECO in this country, but is over $700 a copy. I would get the CED, if I were you.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 21, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3
esheato

I have a Mk IV and have no complaints.

I love the fact that it's a timer and a chrono. It does everything I need. I haven't had any problems and it's been a few years. It gets tossed in my range bag and used at least a few times a week and it's still running fine.

I had a friend buy the XP and had a hell of a time trying to get it to work properly. He finally shot it on purpose and sent it back to the factory. Eventually he bought a second one and it had the same issues. I'm not so sure about their more recent products.

I even picked up their Digital Powder Dispenser and while a bit slow, it was flawless in operations for a few years unti I sold it to upgrade.

If I were buying another chrono, I'd look at CED.

Ed
Old May 21, 2007, 07:29 AM   #4
BHP9

I have the Professional and like it. No problems unless the sun is in the wrong position when I set up.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
snuffy

My model#1 has worked well since '96. I don't use it every time I shoot, but it's always ready when I am.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 21, 2007, 04:56 PM   #6
rfdillon

I purchased my Model #1 on eBay a number of years ago, and it has worked flawlessly every time that I have used it.
Old May 22, 2007, 12:59 PM   #7
hunt127588

I just bought a CED M2 with the IR kit and I really like what I purchased. My only gripe is that it seems to eat 9V batteries pretty quick.