The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 2, 2014, 07:03 PM   #1
johnelmore

Just got robbed at gunpoint while on vacation...

I do a lot of trips around the world carrying thousands of dollars in camera equipment. I know its not a matter of if, but when I will be robbed therefore I have an insurance policy on all the equipment. Besides traveling Ive also been mugged or robbed back home in the United States. Im not upset, because its like tickets. Eventually you will get a ticket if you do enough driving. So if you travel enough eventually you will get robbed.

So I was standing there taking pictures in broad daylight on the beach when I turn around to find two young teenagers waving an old revolver in my face. It was real although probably at least 20 or so years old with the finish rubbed off. Probably was an old police or security pistol where the finish gets rubbed off from the holster over time. I froze in place not saying anything and watched as they took my stuff. I wasnt afraid because I prepared for this moment.

There are many things written on the internet about travel safety which are all very good advice. All I can say in that regard is that you should not be carrying around over $300 in equipment/cash for any reason in any geographic location without an insurance policy. If you are confronted by anyone pointing a pistol at you, than you shouldnt move. There is no way to outrun the bullet and even an ancient pistol is still deadly.

Take a few moments to think before you walk out the door. Think about what you have on you and what you would do if confronted with such a situation. I fully expect this to happen each time I walk out the door and plan accordingly. You will not see me with a $300 pair of sunglasses but the $10 kind you buy in a drug store. You will not see me with a Coach bag. My watch is a Casio and is not there to impress anyone. Carrying around expensive items is an invitation for trouble.
Old September 2, 2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Pahoo

My compliments !!

Sorry for your experience and sincerely thank you for your heads-up. I especially thank you for pointing out that we need to be mentally and physically prepared. ....

Be Ready and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 3, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

johnelmore, I am very sorry to hear about that experience. I am glad to hear that you had thought about it in advance and prepared for same, however. May your dealings with the insurance company be quick and painless.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:28 AM   #4
old-dog

Great that you were not hurt and exactly my point of view. I have insurance so I will not get killed, or kill to save stuff. I have spent a 40 year career traveling around the world, in some places known for corrupt military and police as well as lawlessness and was lucky enough to avoid any problems. I think it is my New York City upbringing and tour of duty in Vietnam, that gave me spidey senses. I work in a rough industry in bad parts of towns and countries and never personally had a problem that I could not avoid. My partner and some employees were robbed at knife and gun point though.

I was taught at a young age by an instructor to always have a plan to kill anyone near you. What that actually means to me is to be aware of your surroundings and have a plan to escape any danger. It is second nature to me now and has served me very well. Unfortunately, your profession involves in seeing life through a lens, even when not using a camera. Not the best for situational awareness but you got a job to do and a living to make. Glad it turned out the best for you and as I see it, you got to get all new equipment.
Old September 3, 2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

1. I regret this incident.

2. Don't make to much of the plan to kill everyone - such statements have been a negative in court SD cases.

3. This is not a L and CR topic - so I have to close it.

GEM