The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
BamaMac54

Your opinions needed

Hey all, I'm not that much into hunting per se, although when I do hunt it is for birds (doves, turkey, etc..). I'm trading in some long guns I never use (Marlin 17HMR and a Remington Express 870 20 ga.) and am looking to put what I can get there into a nicer 12 gauge.

My preference would be for a $400-$500 total cost to the new gun. I do prefer actual wood, as opposed to synthetic stocks. If I can squeeze in a double barrel it would be nice, but a pump or if I have to automatic is ok.

You thoughts? Looking for something to have fun clay shooting with for a long time.
Old November 14, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2
grey_pilgrim

YOu might look at the Spartan line from remington.

THere's also some turkish company, i can't recall the exact name, but a friend of mine uses an O/U to great effect on the range.

My suggestion is go to a store and test the fit/swing of the guns, cause this is the most important part of any shotgun purchase. I'm not really good about judging fit, so i'm sure some of the people here who have more experience here would be able to help with fit.

This is just IMHO.

If you want a pump, you might look at a remington 870 wingmaster. Good looking wood, reliable, and works well. I got schooled by someone with one this weekend in trap, skeet, and doubles trap, so yes, it can shoot . (not that schoolng me means anything, judging by my skeet scores, i'm pretty sure a decently trained 7 yo could teach me a thing or two. . . with a single shot)
Old November 14, 2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Leif

For double/sxs, I'd look for a used Stevens 311, IMHO.

Turkish double ... Huglu (Khan also, I think). Huglu's are now marketed by CZ; people seem to like them.

For pump, I'm very happy with my Browning BPS 12 gauge hunter. Pretty good all-around shotgun, nice finish, nice wood. With the right combination of barrels and chokes, you can pretty much hunt anything you'd normally hunt with a shotgun. Price for mine came in at $425.

My father has a Winchester 1300 and is happy with it. I've used it some - very fast pump.

For semis, I saw a used but good condition Remington 1100 20 gauge for around $300 at a local shop not all that long ago, so used quality semis are out there.

Good luck!
Old November 14, 2005, 10:47 PM   #4
IDriveB5

you might take a look at the wingmaster classic trap, beautiful gun.

prolly run you 600-700 new.
Old November 15, 2005, 08:30 AM   #5
auto45

If you are not hunting that much and want to shoot clays, I would look for a Remington 1100/1187 for the money you want to spend.
Old November 18, 2005, 07:11 PM   #6
everardov

sporting clays

In my opinion for hunting birds a semi automatic is great, for sporting clays there is nothing better than a O/U since the weight is balanced and have the possibility of change choke tubes in two different bores and swap the firing order, and you can also forget the heating issue. However for bird hunting porpouses the O/U has limited fire capacity and while reloading may lose your game. I would make an effort and get one of each. The Turkish Huglu semi automatic option is a good one since the design is a copy of Beretta Urika and the choke system is Beretta's mobil choke system easy to find, at least in Mexico city.

Excuse my english i'm mexican and live in Mexico city

Regards
Old November 20, 2005, 11:52 PM   #7
BamaMac54

Decided!

Mossberg Silver Reserve..got a good deal on it

Old November 21, 2005, 01:05 AM   #8
ron73644

You could have gotten a Wingmaster for that!...........Just joking. That is also a very beautiful gun..nice. I know you are proud of it.
Old November 22, 2005, 01:15 AM   #9
IDriveB5

nice choice! be sure to post a range report!
Old November 22, 2005, 02:18 AM   #10
Pistolenschutze

I'm taking a close look at the Berettas, but at two grand or more per copy, it's going to be a long look I do lust after that SxS Silverhawk though. Reminds me of the old Winchester 21.