The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2000, 04:22 PM   #1
jtduncan

As most of you know, I'ma shotgun newbie. Just got a Rem 870 and want to trap/grouse with it.

Are the HiViz, TruGlo fiber optic light tube sights really just gimmicks for a shotgun you plan to trap and grouse hunt with?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old August 3, 2000, 07:50 PM   #2
PJR

Some guys swear by them and others swear at them. I tried one and found I spent too much time looking at the front sight and not enough looking at the target. I would not put one on my guns for trap and in the usual grouse thickets I think it would not be very successful.
Old August 4, 2000, 10:03 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, here's my opinions and let's all remember they're opinions...

For me, shooting at the up close, fast action birds like grouse, quail over pointers, and woodcock means I'm NOT looking at the bead at all, I'm focussed in on one small part of the critter like the eye. The shotgun is there, but I'm depending on fairtomiddlin' stock fit and form to put the shot where I'm looking.IOW,going beadless would work. In fact, a bright, hi-viz bead would be a distraction.

BTW, when bowhunting, I use a longbow most of the time, no sights, and focus on where I want the arrow to go.Yes, I do drag a deer out of the woods once in a while using that tackle and technique. No, I'm not gifted, just stubborn(G)...

The Brits,who have turned driven bird shooting with its fast shots into both art and science use small beads, quite often of ivory. Gold's popular also.

Once the range opens up, or I have to switch to a sustained lead or other technique, then a bead makes more sense to me. If I were doing long range pass shooting for waterfowl, I might even want a mid rib tiny bead to ensure I have everything lined up. Still, I doubt a hi viz bead would help much there.

For deer hunting and HD,then I want bright sights, and they will be used.

Old August 4, 2000, 10:32 AM   #4
Byzantine5.56

I've just mounted fibre-optic sights on my 12. I consider it a "HD" device or short range slug throwing aid.
Old August 4, 2000, 01:49 PM   #5
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

The truglo bead made a real difference in my trap shooting. I used a 12ga Remington 11 with a plan bead (modified choke) and got maybe 3 out of 25. A culinder bore 20ga Winchester pump with a truglo sight got me 22-23 of 25. They sight wasn't the only reason for better results but it helped greatly.
Old August 4, 2000, 03:16 PM   #6
tyro

Is there anything available for a 20 gauge Remington 870 that would be an improvement over the deer gun rifle sights for HD? I have read that ghost ring sights are better; but are such available for a 20 gauge? The rifle sights are good in broad daylight, but an HD event is more likely to occur after dark.
Old August 4, 2000, 03:24 PM   #7
jtduncan

Thanks for the tips folks!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old August 4, 2000, 08:02 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Tyro, a simple peep sight mounted on the receiver will work, and not cost arm+leg. Take the aperture out for the ghost ring effect. Williams and Lyman both make models that work fine. Your receiver will need drilling and tapping,but any competent smith can do it.

Then, simply remove the rear sight on the bbl, the hump can just stay there, and get it zeroed for your load of choice.