The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
MY QUESTION: With your “Bullet Approach”, how do you know you have chosen the best bullet, if you eliminate some bullets based solely on a one time comparison with other bullets at mid-load?
Experience. The 6.5x55 always shoots best, for me, in a "mid range load"...I always play with crap bullets by the way, once I am done with developing the good ones, I do this in the hope I can find the right combo

My time is limited, so I tend to stick with what works. For the 6.5x55 its always gonna be Fed 210s or 210Ms and lapua cases. RL22 and VN560 are the powders of choice for the Swede, no ifs, ands or buts

I use factory ammo specs as a benchmark...for a Swede milsurp that is a 140 (139) grain bullet at IIRC, 2575 (M41 ball). I see no need to drive a target round faster for a milsurp...

My Hunting rounds are also close to factory spec. I match 100 grainers with Norma Golden target specs.....156 grainers with Norma, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I dont just toss away bullets, if they shoot like crap I play with them until they are gone. I just use the "Bullet Approach" to get the loads I know are guaranteed to work

WildieventrytomatchfactorypowdersificanAlaska ™
Old January 3, 2009, 08:52 PM   #27
mtnbkr

Quote:
Sierra game kings shoot as well as MKs but I think I would be a'skeered to shoot something other than a deer with one.
They are a bit on the soft side, but are absolute death on small Va deer. The last deer I shot, at a whopping 25yds, dropped like he was struck by lightning. Lots of damage internally, but it still exited

I wouldn't push them hard. I'm running about 2500fps.

Chris