The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 8, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
BigBL87

What next? Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22, or Hi Point 995 Carbine

I have 1 spot left in the safe before there's no room. I already have:

Savage Mark II FV, with Mueller APV scope
Mossberg 500 Field/Home combo
SAR B6P (9mm)
Crosman Vantage .177 air rifle (for legal in town shooting)

I need to stay under $300, and would like to add something semi auto without adding an additional caliber if I can. Uses are fun shooting and also being possibly pushed into home defense use by my wife, who is skiddish about the 12 gauge. I'd like an AR or AK, but they're obviously out of my price range. Also, I don't have anywhere to shoot more than 100 yards so longer shooting guns would kind of be wasted my uses.

10/22 is in the running because, well, everybody and their brother has one. My father in law and brother in law both do and love them. On the down side, I've heard they're not all that accurate unless you put more money into them. I'm not looking to do much more than maybe adding a red dot optic. 22lr obviously isn't great for home defense, but with some hollow points it would certianly be better than angry words.

Marlin 795 is on mainly as an alternative to the 10/22, and most things I've read say it's more accurate out of the box than a 10/22 and it is $50 cheaper give or take. On the down side, mags seem to be harder to find and they aren't cheap.

Hi Point 995 is kind of a wildcard. Obviously better for home defense than the other 2. Ammo is more expensive, but I do already stock 9mm. I know Hi Point isn't a flashy brand, but everything I've read says they are boringly reliable and surprisingly accurate. I can also get mags locally pretty cheap.
Old August 8, 2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Hossless

The hi-point carbines are great guns. I know several people who own and shoot them often without a hiccup. I've put many rounds through one of them and loved it. As for the accuracy of the Ruger 10-22's, mine are very accurate rifles, and if cleaned on a regular basis function flawlessly. I think a stock 10-22 with high velocity hp rounds and a 25 round mag - that would be a nice choice. I also have a Marlin tube fed semi auto .22lr which is also a very accurate and excellent functioning rifle. But for home defense I'd go with the Hi-Point 9mm - fun to shoot, farily accurate, almost no recoil and reliable. Have you given any thought to an SKS? They can be had for under $300 and would serve you well for SHTF scenario or home defense. Ammo is cheap also. A great all around tool. I've owned a couple and they are excellent battle rifles, and take a beating... I know you said you wanted to stay within the calibers you already have - but - ammo can be bought on the cheap - just a thought - and the 7.62x39 round is devastatingly effective on soft tissue, especially the HP ammo. I've shot pork shoulders.......!
Good luck, Hossless
Old August 8, 2014, 10:52 PM   #3
BigBL87

I thought about an SKS, but I don't think they're commonly available under $300 anymore. I'd love an SKS though.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:22 PM   #4
jonnyc

If you shop-around a bit, you might be able to find both a 10/22 AND a HP995 for right around $300. Both would be fun and worthy additions to your battery.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:10 PM   #5
BigBL87

FWIW, I have thought about going a completely different direction and getting a Savage Axis in 223, just to have a rifle with a little more oomph that I can do longer range shooting if I want to. Would kind of round out my basic collection better than the other choices. 223 I'm thinking mainly due to cost and it'll range about as far as I'll have the opportunity to shoot.
Old August 10, 2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Blindstitch

Rethink the SKS if you don't need it today. I bought a nice type 56 last month for $200 with 400 rounds of ammo.
Old August 10, 2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Blindstitch

Not mine but Armslist is a nice place to search.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/324609...nco-----325-00
Old August 10, 2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Sappyg

You can't go wrong with a 10/22 IMO.

The Axis is ok. If you want it get it. Does well with cheap ammo and great with ammo it likes but finding that ammo it could prove expensive.

Not so much with the 10/22.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Chip Saunders

I have a Hi-Point 9mm and it is loads of fun. 9mm rounds are cheap too.
I like to shoot 2x4's with my Marlin 22 and the Hi-point and compare holes. The Carbine simply makes a bigger hole....it is more like a giant 22 than a "real" rifle. The carbine is often called "ugly" but I think it is cool. I call it my star wars gun.
Old August 11, 2014, 10:39 PM   #10
BigBL87

I actually like the styling of the newer ones. I'd love a semi auto 223 or the like, but at the distances I might shoot (around 100 yards max) a 9mm would be cheaper and not outside of its useful range. I figure it would be good for a coyote/feral dog incident since I live on the edge of town, which paired with home defense is about the only potential "live action" it would ever see.
Old August 13, 2014, 05:11 PM   #11
BigBL87

Looks like it'll be the Hi-Point carbine, thanks guys.
Old August 13, 2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Colt46

The 10-22

If you are lacking safe space then any gun you get ought to amuse you for quite a while. You can trash everything but the receiver on a 10-22 and build a hyper accurate backpacking gun, a target rifle capable of sub MOA paper punching, or a hundred yard small game rifle. And you can do it all yourself.
That will keep you busy while you contemplate the foolishness of buying a too small safe.
Old August 13, 2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Pahoo

The 10/22, is still that good !!!

Quote:
On the down side, I've heard they're not all that accurate unless you put more money into them. I'm not looking to do much more than maybe adding a red dot optic. 22lr obviously isn't great for home defense, but with some hollow points it would certianly be better than angry words.
What the 10/22 has going for it, over others, is that you don't have to settle on what comes out of the box. You don't have to do anything more than load and shoot or upgrade to features you want. Yes, the trigger is heavy but for about $30.00 to $52.00, you can get a match grade trigger upgrade. Then mount your RedDot for around $30.00 and enjoy. ......

There are other guns that folks may prefer but I have never seen a 10/22 that did not provide great performance. If given the option, get an older used one....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 14, 2014, 06:58 PM   #14
BigBL87

Ya, unfortunately its a 5 gun safe that doesn't really fit 5 guns. I'm still mulling a 10/22 just because I know the Hi-Points are so complicated to tear down, but with the availability of 22 and added power of 9mm the Hi-Point is still tempting.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:43 PM   #15
baddarryl

I chose the 795 over the 10/22 for a couple of reasons. I don't really like to have to monkey with a gun after I buy it. Accuracy claims are true. My 795 is considerably more accurate than my buddies 10/22. I also have a Marlin 981T bolt that is incredibly accurate so that swayed me as well. It was cheaper and I found mags for it that I don't remember being very expensive. I do want to put a better trigger in it though. I have become too used to good triggers. Stock it is not bad though. Can't go wrong with either one probably.