The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2014, 08:08 PM   #1
XB280

Model 70 - Bedding a Boyds Stock ??

I'm in the process of inletting a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock to bed the action and install pillars.

I got the pillars (Score High adjustable pillars) today and started looking over things with plans to drill for the pillars, but the existing holes in the stock seem to be awfully close to the mag well and opening for the trigger. By the time I get the 9/16'' holes drilled for the pillars, there's going to be little to no wood left.

Do I need to look at getting some narrower pillars or just drill them out and hope for the best? I don't want to bugger up a brand new stock.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 28, 2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Bart B.

I'd not use the pillars at all unless the core of your stock is softer than hardwood such as walnut. They're not needed for Win. 70 receivers. Make the holes for the stock screws 1/2" diameter. Coat the stock screws with release agent, fill the holes with bedding epoxy well, squish everything together with the barrel free floating in the stock's fore end and you'll be good to go. That epoxy "pillar" around the stock screw will do just fine.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 28, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:29 PM   #3
XB280

That's a good idea Bart. I thought about getting my hands on some brass tubing and cut those to fit as pillars. I think I'll go your route.

Would it be a good idea to wrap a layer of scotch or masking tape around the action screws to provide a little wiggle room?

Thanks.
Old January 28, 2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Slamfire

I did similiar in a Ruger M77. Drilled holes, cast pillars of gray Tex Marine, routed wood around the pillars, poured in white Tex Marine, it worked very well.

I bought aluminum pillars for a M700. I also cast pillars for another M700, similiar to what I did for the Ruger M77. The Aluminum pillars were a pain, I had to grind them down to an exact length to fit my rifle, overall, the cast pillars were easier.
Old January 28, 2014, 07:22 PM   #5
XB280

Thanks for the pics Slamfire.

I'll probably be ready to mix up epoxy tomorrow evening and have a permanently glued together stock & action by Thursday night .

This oughta be interesting.