The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2014, 11:23 AM   #51
schmellba99

Quote:
“I find trimming the most time-consuming step in the process of reloading and up until now absolutely hated it” begs the reply “If you hate doing it, do not do it”, or “find another hobby”.
Uhhh.....no. No it does not beg that response.

Simply because there is a single aspect of an activity or hobby that is less than desireable does not mean that the entire activity is less than desirable or the person that does not enjoy that particular aspect needs to find another one.

Hell, I hate the noise associated with shooting. Are you suggesting because I dislike one aspect of an otherwise highly enjoyable hobby that I should quit shooting all together?

I'll go ahead and state that is simply an asinine way of looking at a process.
Old March 18, 2014, 04:09 PM   #52
TylerOutdoorsman

That's an awful lot of snarky comments for a simple, straight forward review of what appears to be a very fine product.

But i digress...concerning the review, very well done. I have a method I am using now, but am definitely considering an upgrade now!
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Old March 18, 2014, 04:22 PM   #53
schmellba99

As far as the trimmer, it looks like a pretty solid setup.

My only beef with it is that it doesn't deburr and chamfer like a Giraud or Gracey does. I have a couple of Possum Hollow trimmers that are great for chucking up in the drill press and trimming to length a lot of brass in a short enough time frame, but one still needs to chamfer and deburr - and that is simply an aspect of brass prep that few people like. I'd gladly pay more for a trimmer that has a cutting head like Giraud or Gracey does in that it does 3 steps in one over a trimmer that simply trims to length but still requires a lot of additional prep work.
Old March 18, 2014, 05:48 PM   #54
1stmar

I don't have a gracey or a giraud but I believe the setup time to change calibers is significantly more time consuming and involved then w the cts. With a power chamfer and deburrer right next to my trimmer it's an easy step. The third station can be used for pocket cleaning or removing crimp of whatever. The bench space is minimal. I used to hate training as well. It's now one of the most enjoyable steps.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:02 AM   #55
F. Guffey

Quote:
Hell, I hate the noise associated with shooting. Are you suggesting because I dislike one aspect of an otherwise highly enjoyable hobby that I should quit shooting all together?
Quote:
should quit shooting all together?
Yes, or start using hearing protection. Reminds me of Bob Fliber requesting a song from Cronauer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWWDKZ-kydE

I have a Gracey, I have the Dillon 1200, I have air craft countersinks, I have form/trim dies. I have a box of Lee case trimmers. And I have Lyman, RCBS and Hornady case trimmers. Then there is the L.E. Wilson case trimmer with instructions from 1955 with a Herters thrown in.

My favorite case tool is the RCBS case prep center. brush the inside of the neck, brush the inside of the case body, uniform the primer pocket, remove the military crimp and chamber and tapper. Pick up the case, flip it once, there is no more efficient way when one understands 'time in motion'. But there is a problem, anxiety, reloaders get into mortal combat with reloading, there has never been anything suspect about my endurance, I am not going to run the machine until I smoke it. It is not easy to hold the case with lube on it, so I tumble first.

F. Guffey
Old March 19, 2014, 09:24 AM   #56
F. Guffey

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

http://www.matchprep.com/trimmer.htm

Price, to add a case holder cost from $30.00 to $41.00.

Years ago a Marine walked up to me said said "Thank you", I replied with "You are welcome". Then he ask me if I heard him say "Thank you" ?

I reminded him I said " You are welcome", he wanted to know why I was not curious, I explained to him if he wanted me to know why he would have told me why. And that started one of the most bizarre stories I have every heard.

If someone is going to write a review post the price.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...B_Case_Trimmer

Then it is necessary to purchase a sizer/trim die, some are just under $60.00 but above $40.00.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod03.htm

F. Guffey

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 20, 2014 at 08:55 AM.