The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1
freebird72

Over $900 for a GP100NIB???????

I know guns have gone up, and things are a little crazy, but a stock SS GP100 4inch going for over $900 and still 4 days left? What is going on? I mean, only a few months ago I could have gotten the same gun for under $600 OTD. Do you think this will be the new going rate or do you think, after a while, things will calm down?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=329857217
Old February 20, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2
MercyfulFate

I'm not surprised, I've seen stores charging hundreds over MSRP (high as it is) and getting away with it. I've seen people buy M&P Shields for $400 and turn around and list them for $699! It's crazy.

If people are paying the obscene prices, the madness will continue. I REFUSE to buy a gun that costs hundreds more than it should.

It's capitalism and the market, blah blah, but it's still nuts. Frankly I just want the run on ammo to stop. I'd like to be able to just grab a couple of boxes here and there like I used to. Now I have to be constantly driving half an hour to stores to find it, no online ammo sales in my stupid state (manufacturers get scared of MA law, I don't blame them).

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 20, 2013, 05:16 PM   #3
BigJerm79

Who knows, but what I'm seeing on GB makes me throw up in my mouth...regularly. The worst part of it all, is we're price gouging and f'ing over our own "people". Meaning, dealers and private sellers are making it damn near impossible for the average person to enjoy, or further enjoy, our right to gun ownership. Frankly, its disgusting. Even the lowly, albeit AWESOME, GP100 is now only reserved for an elite few. We shouldn't have to scour the internet day and night HOPING and praying for a deal on something as common as a GP. I understand manufacturing issues, supply/demand, etc., but some of it is just pure greed and thinking this is what they "need" to charge. It's total B.S.

J
Old February 20, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
mmb713

Have we lost already? I didn't see the push for a revolver ban. It's nuts and this will blow over after the do-nothing Congress does nothing. The high end S&Ws at my LGS aren't even that high. If everyone would just calm down and refuse to buy anything until after this latest scare is over things will get back to normal. The absolute worst that could happen is the AWB gets reinstated and the talking heads at MSNBC are already conceding that won't happen. I don't see the votes there in the House. Probably not in the Senate either. Calm down everyone! Who needs a gun and ammo tax when we are driving the prices through the roof through fear?
Old February 20, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5
9mm

$900 nuts, Glocks sell for $800-$900 lol.... It's only 6 shots.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Zebulon

Simple Human Greed...Gun owners don't have a corner on virtue........Zebulon
Old February 20, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
laytonj1

Quote:
The worst part of it all, is we're price gouging and f'ing over our own "people". Meaning, dealers and private sellers are making it damn near impossible for the average person to enjoy, or further enjoy, our right to gun ownership.
You're blaming the wrong people. The "dealer" started the auction at a very reasonable $599. It's the "buyers" that are running up and paying the high prices.
If folks would quit paying high prices then they would come down.

Jim
Old February 20, 2013, 06:21 PM   #8
mavracer

Curious that all the bidders are low feedback. I'm thinking there are some schil accounts on GB of late.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 20, 2013, 06:22 PM   #9
DASHZNT

Re: Over $900 for a GP100NIB???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavracer View Post
Curious that all the bidders are low feedback. I'm thinking there are some schil accounts on GB of late.
DUH!
Old February 20, 2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Mr.Scott

It's not just the original dealer. It's the people buying from dealers then trying to flip it online. You can see it every day now. People are camping out at big box stores to score an AR at regular price, then they offer it up for double online. If you hang out on certain forums you'll see the same people posting new items a lot. I'm not saying I've done this, but I know the ATF and IRS have been notified about some of these practices.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:29 PM   #11
327 FM

I have noticed that a lot of the bidders on Gunbroker who end up with the winning bid on guns I've been watching are first time buyers.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Live45

Wow, I wonder what my SS Security Six 4 in would be worth? Maybe I'll check it out and sell it.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Stiofan

Just remember many small dealers can not get ammo or all the gun stock they used to get. Without product, they can't stay in business, so they charge more what what they have. When you read about Homeland Security buying 1.6 billion rounds of ammo in the last 10 months which they don't need, know why they are doing it. Dry up supply and the retailers go out of business. Doesn't take any new laws either.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:05 PM   #14
freebird72

Let me make it clear that I am not at all talking about the seller here, as I believe the original price was fair. I am also not really talking about he buyers. I am simply confused, and a little worried, that guns like this are so high.

I think we can all agree that a GP100 is a very nice gun that is worth having. I just do not see how this price listed came to be. I know, at least around here, that "ALL" Ruger DA revolvers are hard to find, I just didn't think they were in such demand to the point of being $300-400 more than usual.

The the scamming part has me wondering, because if you type GP100 in GB you come across several NIB GPs that you can Buy Now for much lower than $900; though they are still high in my opinion.

I remember a little before Christmas I was thinking of buying a GP off Budsgunshop for a little over $500, but I said to myself "Wait till after Christmas, you will have more money and there will be better deals." I think I have learned my lesson. If you want something, it is in stock, and you have the money(we are talking within reason here), but it. Don't let $50-$100 in savings change you mind.

Boy, if only I had bought several GPs for $500, I could be in the money right now.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:03 PM   #15
jad0110

Quote:
The the scamming part has me wondering, because if you type GP100 in GB you come across several NIB GPs that you can Buy Now for much lower than $900; though they are still high in my opinion.

Nobody is forcing people to bid up a GP100 to $900+. People are getting auction fever. It happens, a LOT. Particularly the new buyers others have mentioned; the ones with little feedback. I presume that these are probably also "panic" buyers that are trying to scarf up whatever they can. Can't say I blame them necessarily, but they are doing it to themselves. If they are missing Buy it Now GPs for hundreds less, well, no offense but they are paying a couple hundred bucks of "stupid tax", as Dave Ramsey would say.

A fair price is the one that a seller is willing to sell for and a buyer is willing to pay. And it is determined on an individual basis. What you don't find fair, someone else will. And apparently, at least today, the average fair market price for many guns is quite a bit higher than some of us are willing to pay, myself included. But apparently, enough people are willing to pay these higher prices right now. So be it.

I also think it's a good bet that all the hysteria will eventually die down, and prices will come down as a result.

Last edited by jad0110; February 20, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:26 PM   #16
freebird72

I was not saying the person is scamming people because the price is reached $900, I was just wondering if "someone" was bidding the price up on behalf of the seller like others have suggested. I find it hard to believe that many bidders are just missing the GPs that are selling for $200-350 less than that one.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Crankgrinder

forget that guy and his 900.00 GP. just yesterday here i saw 2 of them for a reasonable markup of 650$ that id gladly pay for one right nowm and the guys had a 686 for what that gp cost. Id say calm down folks the guys just trying to scalp a couple hundred bucks off of the craze doesnt mean his rate is the going rate.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:27 PM   #18
tynman

Well I guess my LGS didnt rob me then cause a couple of weeks ago I paid $600 for a ruger gp100 SS 6in. Now Im just waiting for the the paper work to get back. But alot of shops have raised there prices too... But thank goodness I dont buy from them...
Old February 20, 2013, 10:39 PM   #19
GP100man

WOOOooow

I`ll take 2 large for these2

NOT
Old February 20, 2013, 10:40 PM   #20
shootniron

I wouldn't pay that if it was for the last one that would ever be made.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:45 PM   #21
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I was not saying the person is scamming people because the price is reached $900, I was just wondering if "someone" was bidding the price up on behalf of the seller like others have suggested. I find it hard to believe that many bidders are just missing the GPs that are selling for $200-350 less than that one.
"Shill bidding" is a possibility, but it's a risk for the seller, because if one if his "shills" pushes it too far and ends up being the winning bidder, then the seller has just wasted his time. Plus, wouldn't the seller still be responsible for the listing fees? (I don't know if GB charges fees to the seller, but I imagine they do).
Old February 21, 2013, 12:13 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

FUD you!...

My cousin explained to me the FUD principle; Fear Uncertainty Doubt.

It's lame but as the other enlightened forum members & "old salts" know, it will all cool down in a few months.

Clyde
Old February 21, 2013, 02:26 AM   #23
Hook686

Greed is, and has been the driving force of civilizations. It won't change any time soon. Build a bridge and get over it. Buy, or don't buy, but accept the givens and move on.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:35 AM   #24
blackamos

If you knew you could get another one now would be the time to sell, the problem is that no one knows. I'm for sure not buying anything at today's prices but I'm not selling either.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:05 AM   #25
PatientWolf

I guess the @ the LGS for $550 last week was not that bad a deal.
Closed Thread