The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
603Country

New Norma brass in my 270 - wow

For many years I shot only Norma brass in my 220, and it was a wonderful shooting rifle. I switched to Winchester (I don't know why, but must've been $) and it still shoots great but maybe not as great. I say maybe because I'm older now and I'm not sure the brass is the reason for slightly larger groups. I'm sure some of you grandpaws know what I mean. So anyway, I needed new brass for my 270 and I splurged and got some Norma. Probably the brass didn't need any prep, but I did it anyway and also turned the necks just a teeny bit. I'm retired. I've got time. So today I just started with the load I've been using for years in that 270 in Remington brass and good heavens, I got great results. Geez! It was like making a great shot in golf and nobody was watching. I even went into the house and told my wife, and she says "that's nice, honey". So I thought I'd tell you guys. I'll do more shooting this week and see what I can really do groupwise.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Creeper

Lapua and Norma make the finest, most consistent brass there is. That inherent consistency, plus your bit of neck turning, which improves neck tension and expansion consistency... yep, I can see tighter groups just from that.

Cheers,
C
Old August 7, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
ATPBULLETS

Someday when my $$$ and my retired time come together.... I too will own some norma/Lapua brass.... thanks for the report...and i want to hear about it if the wife doesn't...
Old August 8, 2012, 12:13 AM   #4
mrawesome22

It really is the best of the best.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Old August 8, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I've used Norma brass in my rifles from the get-go. The worst loads I've worked up (and by "work up" I mean from starting to max charge only) have been around 3/4MOA. My Ruger M77 MkII in .204 shoots 1/2 MOA almost without trying.

I recently traded my shotgun for a Savage in 270WSM. I couldn't get Norma brass, so I bought a bag of Winchester. The BEST loads were around 1 1/2.

Does the gun suck? I doubt it, I've haven't seen one yet that won't shoot under an inch, be it Remington, Savage, Ruger, Browning... I think it's the brass.

Yeah, I COULD sort it by weight, uniform the primer pocket, deburr the flash holes, trim for consistent mouth... and after it's sorted, the "good" cases end up costing more than Norma or Lapua.

I bought my Norma brass like 2 years ago. All cases are still in use. Some have 6 or 7 loads through them. Haven't lost one (to failure, impending failure) yet.

Then I see people talking about how Norma brass is expensive. I just laugh.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
I bought my Norma brass like 2 years ago. All cases are still in use. Some have 6 or 7 loads through them. Haven't lost one (to failure, impending failure) yet.
In my last benchrest rifle, I used Lapua .220 Russian brass necked up and fire formed to 6PPC. I'd do full prep on 30-40 cases... and those would be the cases I'd use for the entire life of a particular barrel.
Of those 30-40, 20 or so would be record cases and the balance sighters and back-ups.
The "perfect 20" would get used about 75 to 100 times a season. Just enough neck sizing to get about 5 lbs of seating pressure... and shoulder bumped about .0015" every 5-10 loadings, depending on temps and... bla bla bla.

OCD is us...
C
Old August 8, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
603Country

Creeper, it's funny that you should mention that you had special Norma cases for shooting for record. When I started phasing out my Norma 220 Swift brass for the Winchester, I held back about 40 of the Norma cases for the times that I needed to be extra special accurate. I had shot those cases many many times and I had prepped them to the max and I even went to the next step of throwing away cases that threw flyers more than once or twice. I'd mark them and if they got more than 2 marks I'd discard them. The cases remaining were the good stuff. I even won money with them a couple of times when I was hunting with customers and they'd say "betcha can't hit that". That's when I'd bring out the red MTM box with the special ammo. Then I went to Winchester. Gotta wonder why I ever decided to go over to Winchester cases instead of just buying more Norma cases. Oh well...the Winchester shoots good enough for what I do these days - blast coyotes when I decide that the day will be a 220 day.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

It must be a scoped rifle thing. I have 20 Norma cases that purchased in 7.62x53R. I had to expand the case mouths to accomidate the larger bullets. When shooting with Norma, and PPU cases I can not tell a difference at all. Though I admit with the irons I am the weak link in the chain.

I will say the Norma brass is of top tier quality without a single doubt.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Norma is good stuff, and pretty consistent. I don't seek it out, when I want premium brass, though. I've found case life to be quite short.

Norma is great, but short-lived. Lapua is the best. Nosler is alright. R-P looks like crap, but has excellent case life. Winchester is inconsistent in every measurement and has crooked case mouths out-of-the-box/bag. And, Hornady is just barely a step above Remington... maybe.

Lately, I've just been doing the work myself, to save half the cost of "premium" brass:
Buying large lots of R-P brass, sizing, trimming, neck turning, flash hole deburring, weight sorting (20-piece lots), and volume sorting after the first firing (if desired - rare).
I only have to do it once for the life of the brass, and it performs just as well as the premium stuff.