The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 16, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1
jwalker497

Semi-Auto Rifle

I have only owned Handguns, aside from a few bolt action hunting rifles and was interested in a semi auto rifle for SD and $%#@ hits the fan scenarios but I have no idea where to begin. I just want something that is not expensive $500 and under and very reliable and has a decent fire rate along with some range. Can anyone reccomend some affordable options? Plus, any online stores and resources would be appreciated since there are not many dealers around me. Thanks
Old February 16, 2009, 11:06 PM   #2
zoomie

Lightly used Ruger Mini-14... or bump up your budget and get the ubiquitous AR.

Or, go out on a limb and get a lever gun in 357 or 44 Mag. Lots of things going in their favor (load on the run, reliable, light, handy, look innocent...)

http://www.budsgunshop.com
http://segunco.com/index.php?main_page
http://www.impactguns.com/store/
http://www.ableammo.com/
Old February 16, 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Beretta16

An ak-47 clone of mini 14 will match your budget. Neither will be accurate, but both will be reliable.
Old February 16, 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
ThomasT

People will tell you the Mini-14 is not accurate. That may be true for the older versions but it is not true for the newer rifles. I have two of the new 580 series guns, one with the straight taper barrel and one with the flared barrel. Both will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights and cheap Monarch ammo from Academy Sports. And thats with a soon to be 52 year old shooter doing the shooting. Also that is after firing 20-30 rounds and shooting for group with a hot barrel.

For what you are describing an SKS might be what you looking for. I have two of those and have never had a jam in either one.

Your biggest problem right now is finding ammo. The 223 round and the 7.62x39 are in very short supply. Zoomie is right about the lever guns. Also I would add a 30-30 to the list.

I also want to mention that Pro-Mag 20 round magazines work fine in the Mini. I have 9 of them and have never had a single failure.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
publius

using your stated budget, a used Mini-14 or an SKS. I think an AR-15 is really going to make you happier, but it is out of your stated price range.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:47 AM   #6
Firepower!

I dont know what it costs where you live so I am going to answer you querry without price restriction in mind. I would say get HK91. You get reliability of HK G3, and power of 7.62NATO round.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:31 AM   #7
Ignition Override

Somebody beat me to the recommendation of an SKS.
You might want to actually buy a good bit of ammo at an acceptable price once you decide on the caliber. If an SKS, a so-called Paratrooper would be even handier.
My Mini 14 is just as fun as the standard Norinco SKS. There might be one or two issues with some Mini 30s, and might be much harder to re-sell. My two (brand-new) 10-rounder Promags are 100% reliable in my 30.

Too bad you were not in the market for ammo last September, with the election on the horizon.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
martin08

If you do decide on the SKS, ammo availability will likely rebound soon, as I have been seeing a few more 7.62 X 39 ads that don't have the "Sold Out" disclaimer lately. Many people bought up during the election craze (including me) and won't have to stock up again for a while. As soon as supplies get caught up, there should be more available.

That being said, it has gotten more expensive! But if you are patient and willing to search, you should be able to pick up a fairly good Chinese Norinco and 1000 rounds of ammo for $500.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

If you want stainless go mini-14, blued I would go with the SKS.

It is amazing how fat you can load those stripper clips after just a few times.
You can still get X39 for far less than any of the NATO rounds.
You can get yugo surplus for less than $.50/ round.

Another option is a CMP M1 Carbine or the lowest grade functioning M1 Garand. I believe price on both rifles is right at $500. You can join a CMP club for $25 and shipping is about $25. You could always get a new stock for the Garand at a later date and make it look really nice.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; February 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old February 17, 2009, 11:34 AM   #10
onthejon55

AK-47 an plenty of wolf ammo its cheap and reliable
Old February 17, 2009, 01:47 PM   #11
New_Pollution1086

Kel-Tec su-16. they are great reliable rifle, and can be had for relatively cheap.

it takes AR mags witch is always nice.

the SKS or minis would be nice as well.

T
- T. Boone Pickens