The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 5, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Gunnut17

What's Your Home Defense Setup?

What guns do you rely on? Where are those guns? How much ammo is there for them? Is it only guns?

When I can have a 'setup', I think it would be a Saiga 12 with low recoil buckshot,(unless it can't cycle those, in which case i'm going for a Mossberg 500 Cruiser.) and a Five Seven with 50 rounds loaded into one 30- and one 20-round mag, with a red dot sight and surefire X300, in my room, and at least one pistol in every other place one could be needed. Might be a tad extreme, but still ideal, IMO.

So, what's your setup?
Old August 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Creeper

So Gunnut17... this is your short list of HD guns you'd like to have?

Are you asking what others would like, or what others actually own and utilize for the purpose?

Rather than responding to your question, how about I ask you... why do you want the guns you've listed? Just curious ya' know.

Cheers,
C
Old August 5, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Glenn Dee

My home defense set up?... I live in a studio apartment. I have a TRR8 stashed by the door with a 870 magnum pump gun just below. In the kitchenette A RIA 1911, and my Mini 14 in a cabinet. by the bed I have a .357 taurus revolver and my M1A loaded with soft point .308.

Seriously I have a loaded det. Spec under my matress.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Seriously I have a loaded det. Spec under my matress.
"Seriously"... LOL!

You're OK Glenn... and well armed too!

Cheers,
C
Old August 5, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
KyJim

A SW Model 65 loaded with 158 gr. Gold Dot .38 special +P in the nightstand and a twelve gauge Mossberg 500 (just a plain shotgun) in the closet loaded with reduced recoil 00 buckshot. I also have a .45 acp 1911 in a drawer near the front door usually loaded with 230 gr. Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs. I don't have small children at home but whenever there is a possibility one might visit (rare), the guns are locked away.

Added: Re-think the Cruiser as it is more difficult to shoot accurately My Mossy has the Cruiser setup but I just stick with the regular stock.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Crazy88Fingers

I keep a loud revolver where it's easy to get to. And I think there's a rifle around here somewhere...
Old August 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
sigcurious

Two dogs to wake me if I'm asleep, one 226 if I need to defend myself, and a cell phone to call the cops.

I could keep my AR ready to go, but I doubt a tactical team is breaking into my house and if it were a tactical team, I'd be screwed anyway.

Something to consider gunnut, while it may sound optimal to have guns stashed around the house, if they're hidden but easily accesible it's likely the bad guy in your house will find them. So if you're not home, that means either collecting them all up and putting them in the safe every time you leave, then putting them all back when you get home. Otherwise that's a whole bunch of guns you've just given to the BG robbing your home.

While hopefully at that point you will have an alarm, that does not deter all BGs. Nor does knowing someone is home. So they may proceed to ransack your house anyway even if you are home, so all those hidden guns are just weapons for the BG to find and use against you. Unless you happen to be in the room that the BG breaks into.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:58 PM   #8
armoredman

Layered defenses including alarm, dogs, steel security screens, cell phones etc. Firearms are last resort.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:07 PM   #9
lamarw

I have a bird dog on alert during the day, a hound dog for night duty, and an Alabama black dog to attack when alerted by the other dogs. I have various shotguns and handguns scattered through-out the house. The guns are there to put the SOB out of his misery if his throat has not yet been ripped out.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Bud Helms

Quote:
The guns are there to put the SOB out of his misery if his throat has not yet been ripped out.
Jeez, guys, ... enough with the blood lust, okay?
Old August 5, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Creeper

Quote:
Jeez, guys, ... enough with the blood lust, okay?
No Claymores... yet.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:31 PM   #12
FrosSsT

Toy Yorkie and Mossberg 590a1....shes vicious be careful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_12012-08-05_21-15-24_157.jpg (238.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by FrosSsT; August 8, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Gunnut17

Quote:
So Gunnut17... this is your short list of HD guns you'd like to have?

Are you asking what others would like, or what others actually own and utilize for the purpose?

Rather than responding to your question, how about I ask you... why do you want the guns you've listed? Just curious ya' know.

Cheers,
C
These are guns that I'd like to have for HD, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

So, on to your question, I picked the Saiga because it's high-capacity for a shotgun, 10 to 30 rounds, and semi-auto, so missing your first shot as big a problem as with a pump gun. But if it weren't able to cycle low recoil rounds, the Mossberg is a compact gun in cruiser configuration, and I like the think the tang safety is easier than the button safety on the Remington 870.

The Five-Seven because it has a 20 round mag which can be upgraded to 30 rounds, the flashlight illuminates the way for you and makes the gun front heavy, reducing muzzle rise, and that combined with the red dot will make target acquisition that much easier. The USP is more of a secondary idea if the five seven were to be a bad HD gun, the weaponlight is also for muzzle rise, but also fills the purpose of a red dot, which would be difficult to find for a HK, the reason I picked .40 caliber is because the extra stopping power while still actually being a improvement over the USP9s standard capacity because of the mag extension.

Thanks for asking, by the way.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Creeper

OK... I'm not going to tell you that having a boatload of guns laying about the house is dumb... 'cause others have pretty much beaten me to it.

Quote:
I picked the Saiga because it's high-capacity for a shotgun, 10 to 30 rounds
I'm not sure the 10-30 rds is all that necessary, unless you live in a big house on some serious property... and are expecting zombies. Big sideways jump from a Saiga to a Mossy pump... why?
You don't buy into that racking the slide on a pump BS actually scares people... do you?
Don't forget the Mossy 930 SPX... Not a Benelli or FN, but a very nice semi-auto for the money.

Quote:
The Five-Seven because it has a 20 round mag which can be upgraded to 30 rounds, the flashlight illuminates the way for you and makes the gun front heavy, reducing muzzle rise, and that combined with the red dot will make target acquisition that much easier.
You really got that hi-cap thing goin' on don't ya'. Why? You expecting a tac team?
Flashlight reducing muzzle flip? Man... that must be one heavy flashlight.
You don't want to "illuminate the way"... you want to illuminate the target, then shut the light off and move to cover... you should know the way blindfolded.
Red dot on a 10 yard or less human target? Maybe a little overkill... again, you might live in a house with 30 yd hallways... I don't know.
Quote:
The USP is more of a secondary idea if the five seven were to be a bad HD gun, the weaponlight is also for muzzle rise, but also fills the purpose of a red dot, which would be difficult to find for a HK, the reason I picked .40 caliber is because the extra stopping power while still actually being a improvement over the USP9s standard capacity because of the mag extension.
There are holo sights for the USP.
Got no issues with a light... but again, muzzle rise is a bit of a reach.
Got no issues with the .40 for HD.

Don't misunderstand brother... I'm not trying to beat you up here, more trying to dispel a few myths and give you a real world perspective.

OK... there's my 2 cents worth of interweb advice, I'll be expecting change back from that ya' know.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:47 PM   #15
InigoMontoya

Makarov (*) for quick/instant access.

Daewoo AR-110C if I've got a minute to prep.

One mag for each.

Now, if you're talking about the SHTF scenario. Things change radically as I open up the safe....

(*) Yeah, I know it's a bit light, but I've always figured that the most important thing is to hit what you aim at. A .22 LR that hits the target does a lot more damage than a .44 Mag that misses... And that darn Makarov just fits my hand perfectly. I don't even have to aim... It just reads my thoughts and the bullets go there! I've never had that with any other gun... So even if it's a bit light, it's my go to gun.

Last edited by InigoMontoya; August 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:12 PM   #16
sigcurious

I didn't want it to come across that it was a dumb idea, just that there are things to consider with having firearms all around the house. It's your future house, you should arm it or not arm it as you see fit. Just be aware of the considerations that go along with various options.

Frossst, that is a terrifying yorkie! and by terrifying I mean adorable.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
medalguy

I keep a S&W Model 66 on the table beside the bed. Note I said ON THE TABLE, not locked in a silly gun safe. No kids or visitors in there, so..... But it's always there and ready.

I also keep a short barrel 12 ga double barrel behind the curtains right next to the front door, ready to pick it up if necessary.

In my workshop outside, a Winchester 97 pump right by the door.

Sometimes when I'm walking my property I also carry a 1911A1 in a holster, just in case I see another rattlesnake.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Webleymkv

Right now, a S&W 629 loaded with Remington 240gr SJHP within immediate reach of my bed, a Cold Steel Counter-Tac I right next to the revolver, a Remington 870 Express 12ga loaded with Winchester 3" #1 Buck with an additional five rounds of Federal 2 3/4" Truball rifled slugs in an elastic butt cuff under the bed, a 922r converted Saiga .223 loaded with 20 rounds of Remington 55gr FMJ behind the door, an NEF Pardner 10ga with five rounds of Remington 3 1/2" steel BB shot in an elastic butt cuff in the closet, a 4 D-Cell Maglite next to the bed, and an SOG Fasthawk right next to the Maglite. The handgun is sometimes rotated with others that I own, but the rest of the setup stays pretty much the same.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:29 PM   #19
Gunnut17

Quote:
OK... I'm not going to tell you that having a boatload of guns laying about the house is dumb... 'cause others have pretty much beaten me to it.
I will admit, that may have been a little idiotic of a idea.

Quote:
I'm not sure the 10-30 rds is all that necessary, unless you live in a big house on some serious property... and are expecting zombies. Big sideways jump from a Saiga to a Mossy pump... why?
You don't buy into that racking the slide on a pump BS actually scares people... do you?
Don't forget the Mossy 930 SPX... Not a Benelli or FN, but a very nice semi-auto for the money.
believe me, I do not buy into that myth, all pumping the gun will do is give the intruder the opportunity to shoot you to death. And the reason for the jump is the fact that I know that a Mossberg can cycle low recoil ammo, and is inexpensive and lightweight, and, correct me if i'm wrong, the 930 is nearly 9 lbs.

Quote:
You really got that hi-cap thing goin' on don't ya'. Why? You expecting a tac team?
Flashlight reducing muzzle flip? Man... that must be one heavy flashlight.
You don't want to "illuminate the way"... you want to illuminate the target, then shut the light off and move to cover... you should know the way blindfolded.
Red dot on a 10 yard or less human target? Maybe a little overkill... again, you might live in a house with 30 yd hallways... I don't know.
Red dot and hi-cap mags- better to have something and not need it, than to need it but not have it.

Flashlight- Illuminate the way was a expression that I didn't mean seriously, and my house is too cluttered to rely on memory to walk in(Just moved.)

Flash light as a Compensator- I felt that I would be ridiculed even more than I am now for wanting to compensate a Five Seven.

Quote:
There are holo sights for the USP.
Got no issues with a light... but again, muzzle rise is a bit of a reach.
Got no issues with the .40 for HD.
Again, stupidity on my part.

Last edited by Gunnut17; August 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 7, 2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Drudge

Just a 357 mag. wheel gun clipped to the side of the bed..
K.I.S.S.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:21 AM   #21
drail

Rem 870 loaded with No 1 buck and various big bore revolvers stashed around the house (no kids). Now if I could just find some hand grenades.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:25 AM   #22
TheNocturnus

I set out tea and cookies. I politely explain to the intruders that I paid for my belongings and I value my families lives and would prefer that they not harm them. After we get the pleasantries out of the way, we sit down for a nice long discussion about politics and religion.

But seriously, I have a Glock 19 on my hip or near by to greet any intruders.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 7, 2012, 11:38 AM   #23
FAS1

Glock 17 w/night sights and spare magazine in handgun safe mounted to bed frame. Beretta 1201FP (6+1+1) in the RSC if I need to go that direction. Cell phone and flashlight on nightstand. Same setup I have had for years with both guns proving their reliabilty over many years.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:42 AM   #24
pturner67

I like the advantage that people don't know what my HD setup is. I will say that my setup is established before you can get to my doors or windows.
Old August 7, 2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Martian_Summer

Beretta 92 on my night stand under a book. 17 round mag + 1 loaded with Hornady 124 grain HP.

Remington 870 inside an open rifle case under my bed. Six in the tube plus one chambered. Remington reduced recoils 00 buck. I keep four three inch rifled slugs in the side saddle.

In the den, I have a S&W .357 strapped underneath the coffee table. Not even sure what it's loaded with right now.

Tags
defense , home defense , pistol , self defense , shotgun