The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 15, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Iron Man

Instructions on how to make shooting glasses

These are step by step instructions I posted on another site on how to make a shooting patch that reduces or prevents the need for bifocals or progressive lenses. I am assuming you can see all the photos I posted without being forced to be a member.

Making a Shooting Patch
Old December 16, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
hagar

Tagged for later
Old December 16, 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
JN01

I have thought about getting one of the Merit Optical devices before, but was reluctant to spend $50 on one. Your idea accomplishes the same thing cheaply- one of those "oh yeah, why didn't I think of that" things. Thanks
Old December 16, 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
NickW

We were on the range shooting M4's a few days ago and some of us older gents were talking about this very topic, one shooter even went so far as to poke a hole in a post-it note and tape it to his glasses Going to give this a try, thanks!
Old December 16, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
nc eyedoc

This pin-hole device will certainly work. But I haven't tried on at the range to see how practical it is. You get a very small field of view.

The idea of using a pinhole is well known to give a wide depth of focus. It is similar to cheap cameras that give fairly good photos without any focusing mechanism. They merely have a small pupil. The so-called paraxial light rays through a small opening don't need to be focused to give good focus at various distances.

This is the same reason people squint to see better without eyeglasses. Optometrists have used similar pinholes for years to estimate the corrected visual acuity.

I am going to give this a try at the range. I'm sure it will work well, but I doubt it has any use beyond the range, because of it's extremely narrow field of view.
Old December 16, 2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Catfishman

Thanks

Tagged for later
Old December 18, 2010, 10:33 AM   #7
NickW

Quote:
I'm sure it will work well, but I doubt it has any use beyond the range, because of it's extremely narrow field of view.

Could not agree with you more Doc, real world you’re not going to stand duty wearing the things; yet, when you have to qualify to keep your job you take all the advantages you can get.