The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 2, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Recon7

Anybody else here ever try ccw an asp?

The title pretty much says it all, I've been doing it for a while because if you get into the letter of the law there are some places where a firearm is a no-no, but no other weapons are mentioned. It also works good with pocket carry. I have found it real easy to throw a 26'' asp into my waistband at 3:00 canting forward. since there is no butt like a gun, it conceals easy and the grippy surface of, well. . . the grip holds it in place pretty good. Yeah, it ain't super light, but it does not feel too bad really. I keep it facing up so If I put my hand on my hip under my shirt and rip it out, I don't have to change grip.

So am I crazy or has anybody else tried this?

I carry a knife too, but really prefer the asp as it is more of a "good guy" weapon and people have less of a tenancy to die on you when you need to use it. I would have no problems using the asp on an unarmed attacker, but I could get in trouble fast using a knife. Thoughts anybody?
Old February 2, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I tried, but couldn't get the danged thing to quit crawling out of my pocket!
Old February 2, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Recon7

IWB, it stays in place amazingly well. I blew a belt loop trying to hold an ASP in one pocket and a Smith 642 in the other. Cheapo polyester work pants
Old February 3, 2009, 12:46 AM   #4
urban assault

When I Bounced back in the day I would carry an Asp in a custom leather holster, so that it was carried horizontally on my belt but reachable with my right hand.

Of course, this was in addition to either a SP101 .357 snubby or Para-Ord .45, some OC spray or foam, a fixed blade Tanto, custom knucks, and a sandpipe.

I would never carry all of the above at the same time because to me that was overkill, but at the very least it would always be the Asp and a gun.

To be honest, that Asp was WAY more useful than either of my guns over the years and saw a lot more action too.

I wasn't usually one to hit first without trying to defuse or deescalate, but when needed that Asp really came in very handy when breaking up large fights or disarming a bad guy.

16+ years of usually hard-core gigs and I never had to kill someone, or fight for my life on an operating table, so I must have done something right.
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
Old February 3, 2009, 01:12 AM   #5
Gazpacho

Nope.

Where I live, I can carry a gun, bu not an ASP. Go figure.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:58 AM   #6
grumpycoconut

Here in California it's a felony to carry and Asp but only a misdemeanor(1st offense) to carry a loaded concealed pistol. That being said a 16" Asp rides ok in pants pockets and really doesn't draw all that much attention.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old February 3, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
JasonG

Here you can open or concealed carry any hand cannon you want, but the asp is illegal.
If it wasn't I would find or make an IWB for one.
While willing to kill to live, I'd rather not.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 3, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
SMITH910

I live in Wisconsin where everything's illegal. I thought the same thing, carrying my baton and my knife and flashlight since I can't carry a gun, but of course I heard the baton is illegal too. I figured it would be legal since carrying a gun is out and a baton is just a heavy stick. But luckily nothing bad ever happens in Milwaukee, so I'm safe! :barf:
Old February 3, 2009, 10:20 AM   #9
nemoaz

I don't even open carry a collapsible baton unless I must. You might as well carry nerf footballs to throw at the bad guys. Those things are a PC answer to an LEO carrying a useful baton.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Recon7

U R kidding right?
I would get some funny looks with a full size nightstick down my pants
Old February 3, 2009, 10:55 AM   #11
David Armstrong

Quote:
You might as well carry nerf footballs to throw at the bad guys. Those things are a PC answer to an LEO carrying a useful baton.
Given the thousands of successful and effective uses of them by LEOs around the country, and given the fact that many LEOs choose them over the traditional baton, I would question that.
Old February 3, 2009, 11:01 AM   #12
fisherman66

Quote:
I tried, but couldn't get the danged thing to quit crawling out of my pocket!
Damn good thing I turned my head before I spit all over my keyboard. Funny stuff.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:47 PM   #13
scorpion_tyr

I can't legally carry an asp or any other club or expandable baton type of weapon where I live. Even if I could, I wouldn't.
Old February 5, 2009, 02:33 AM   #14
Wagonman

+1 Dave.

I lost many batons by leaving them in car at end of shift.

Also, I liken it to having a snub in your pocket. I can have it in my hand ready to deploy but concealed by the way I hold my arm so it is not factor in the call. "Why you got that big stick you gonna beat me?"

A very useful tool.

Another plus is the same as an advantage of the "surefire" type lights----it's always with you on your belt not safely tucked away in the squad car because it is a PITA to haul all that gear with you.
Old February 5, 2009, 04:32 AM   #15
Angelo Demuerte

I carry a 18 inch collapsible steel baton (spring whip) with me very often. I often carry it set in my watch pocket of my jeans with the bottom end pointed up, many people just assume it is a flashlight of some kind.
Old February 5, 2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Sevens

I don't know about the laws in Ohio with regards to carrying a collapsible baton. I do know that my CHL specifically does not allow other weapons besides a handgun. Or, to put it another way, it's a concealed handgun license and they are very specific about that. Having the carry permit doesn't give me ANY rights or legal abilities beyond anyone else except for a handgun.

I'm pretty sure there are some very firm laws in place with regards to the escalation of force, and hitting someone in the head with one of those is MUCH different than hitting them on a leg or arm.
Old February 5, 2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Recon7

Thats true, I've been told that ASP teaches a course on how to use their batons correctly, and if you follow doctrine they will testify in court for you that you did not use it as a lethal weapon. A head or neck strike is lethal force and other targets such as knees are not preferred. Of course, if you are fighting somebody who is also armed, all bets are off because a lethal force attack justifies a lethal force response.

Then again, lawyers love to bring in their client in massive neck braces to make them look like a victim. . .
Old February 8, 2009, 01:38 AM   #18
G-man 26

Quote:
Here in California it's a felony to carry and Asp but only a misdemeanor(1st offense) to carry a loaded concealed pistol.

Yeah, if they would let us, I'd carry two. One for each hand. Every one has been hit by a stick, and therefore has some respect/fear. Not everyone has been shot, and most know that you most likely won't shoot, or at least don't want to. The ASP would be an effective deterrent, and less than lethal when needed.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:53 AM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Fisherman
I'm glad SOMEBODY got it!