The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 12, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1
FrontSight

Best Hog / Boar / Pig Recipie?

I did a search, and can't find any, but i could have sworn I've seen them in the past...

Anway, can anyone please divulge? I'd be most grateful!
Old June 12, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
hoytinak

Pork roasts work well for small gatherings the first time you try this; however, you can get a fresh Hog and quarter it. The following ingredients will vary in the amount-depending on how much Pork you're cooking.

1) Dale Steak Seasoning.
2) Goyo Adobo Seasoning
3) Mrs Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning
4) Garlic Pepper Seasoning
5) Several bottles of BBQ sauce ( different varieties- to serve with cooked Pork)
6) Coat pieces with Dale Sauce and then sprinkle heavily with all other ingredients. Wrap each piece with several layers of Heavy Duty foil wrap.(wrap in different directions to hold in juices)
7) The most important part to this is the FIRE ! Use hard wood like oak, hickory. ( don't use Pine, etc, it won't hold the heat and the coals go out too quickly).
8) Dig a pit about 3 feet deep and wide enough to lay all pieces side by side without touching.
9) Start the fire around 12:00 noon the day before. You'll need a big roaring fire that will fill the hole with red hot ashes. Pile it high and stop adding wood in time to let the pieces burn down by around midnight.
10) When fire is ready, shovel out half the ashes quickly, and lay the meat on top of the remaining ashes in the pit. 11) Lay a piece of tin on top of all meat pieces and cover with removed ashes. then cover with dirt (saved when digging the pit). Make sure all holes are filled in with dirt to avoid any smoke escaping.[The tin is to protect the meat from the shovel when digging up]
12) Cooking Time: Regular size Pork Roasts will cook within 10 to 12 hours.
13) Quarter hog pieces will take around 14 hours. At the end of cooking time remove top dirt and ashes and tin. Place meat thermometer in each piece and check for doneness. ( there should still be heat underneath).
Old June 12, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3
zoomie

http://www.askthemeatman.com/cooking_wild_boar.htm
Old June 12, 2008, 01:32 PM   #4
simonkenton

I have cooked dozens of wild hog hams and shoulders on smokers.
Get one of those smokers that is about 30 inches high and 15 inches wide.
It has a little electric element, and a pan to put water or other liquid, this keeps the meat moist.
It also has a pan you put the wood on.
Just salt and pepper the ham. You can use water in the pan, but beer is good, wine also works well.
The best wood is mesquite.
It takes 8 hours on a 60 degree day to smoke/cook the ham.
On a cold windy day it would take 10-12 hours.

I have done more than two dozen this way, it is the best meat I ever ate.
Old June 12, 2008, 03:29 PM   #5
45Marlin carbine

a buddy has one of those drum smokers that you build the fire in a side-burner sort of thing welded onto, I've give him shoulders to roast for gatherings. he cleans them up, rubs with spices and seasonings and smokes 'em overnight. I've seen kids gather around jerking and picking meat off and gobbleing it down.
myself I butcher the hog and cut the chops about 1 & 1/2" thick and marinate couple hours then grill over applewood fire. mighty tasty.
Old June 13, 2008, 10:15 PM   #6
FrontSight

Thanks everyone!
Old June 14, 2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

I only keep the loins whole- the rest of the meat I grind into sausage, mixing in 30 to 40% groundbeef with a 20% fat content. I make Polish, breakfast or what they call BBQ sausage in Central California. I buy the casing from a butcher and make my own links.

For the loins I make a Korean Style BBQ sauce/marinade.

1 Cup of soy sauce
3 minced garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 Tablespoon Chile oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Chopped green onion
Place the loin in this marinade for a few hours.
Roast over medium hot oak coals

Roast until 160 degrees inside. Let stand for 30 minutes. Serve sliced with marinade poured over it...
Old June 14, 2008, 10:36 PM   #8
djonathang

Glad you asked:

Whole Pig
Stuff with Apples, plums, apricots, walnuts, etc.
Rub liberally with black pepper and garlic power

Heat grill with charcoal or gas to low heat

Place foil on grill

Place pig on grill

Place sprigs of fresh rosemary around pig.

Cook appropriate number of hours

Enjoy!
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.
Old June 29, 2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Wayward_Son

A coworker gave me six country-style wild hog ribs a few months ago. Here's how I cooked them:

I purchased a package each of fresh thyme and rosemary. I also picked up a large orange, two yellow squash and a bulb of garlic.

I minced the entire bulb of garlic and put it into a small bowl. I then minced a large amount of the thyme and rosemary and added that to the bowl as well. I then ground a bunch of fresh black pepper and sea salt into the bowl. I used a spoon to grind this all together into a paste. I used this paste as a rub to completely coat all the ribs, and tried to rub some of the paste into the meat. I laid them all side by side in a pyrex cake dish (I think 9"x12"). I sliced the orange and squash into 1/4" slices and layered them on top of the meat, then added another dusting of fresh black pepper and sea salt. I rapped the pyrex dish in foil and cooked it at 275 degrees for a couple hours until the pork temp reached 160.

It was delicious. I added the squash and oranges because I wanted to add a little bit of moisture to the recipe. Between the pork juices, the orange and squash, and the foil wrap the meat came out extremely soft and juicy. Didn't need a knife, the meat just came off the bone. The oranges added a bit of sweetness to the recipe and the citrus touch really rounded out the dish. The squash soaked up the garlicy pork juices and were fantastic as a vegetable side.

My next door neighbors barbecued that day and we shared out feasts together. I added a hand-made salad and dressing (another recipe) while they supplied chicken, dinner rolls from scratch and homemade candied sweet potatoes. I brought along two bottles of a good Riesling and we all agreed it was a fantastic meal.

Depending on your tastes this recipe can easily be adjusted. I'm a garlic fiend, so you could use less (or not at all if you're a freak) if that's your thing. I could add sliced white onion to the dish along with the orange and squash but I figured the garlic had enough presence that the onion wasn't necessary. Cucumbers or zucchini would work well. Sliced carrots would work. Slices of apple could be used in place of oranges. I might even try an addition of lime wedges. Hell, thick slices of acorn squash would be good, but then I'd add a basting of butter and brown sugar.
Old June 29, 2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Chuck Dye

www.fooddownunder.com has many recipes for boar, many, many more for pork.
Old June 29, 2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Jason_G

Cochon de lait.

Either in the dirt, or with a Cajun microwave.

Jason

Tags
boar , cook , hog , pig , recipie