The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
nefprotector

Pistol Range bags?

I am looking for a good but inexpensive Range bag or tactical bag for my Handgunguns, etc. What do you recommend? Will be used for range visits, throw in my car, etc.
Old November 13, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
geetarman

I have used both the Dillon and the Sig/Sauer.

The Dillon works just fine for one or two guns and as long as you are not carrying around a bunch of "stuff." When I got mine, it was about $70.

The one I use a lot is the Sig/Sauer. It was pretty close to $100 when I got it but it was money well spent.

I bought a Dillon for my son and it developed a small rip. I asked Dillon if they could repair it and they said sure. What they did was take the old one and toss it away and told me to pick one off the new rack. Dillon Precision is a company that absolutely stands behind their merchandise.

I know they have a larger bag now that will accomodate several guns.

That was the primary reason I got the Sig/Sauer bag. You can really load the bag down. I do not know how they would handle a warranty problem on a bag but if it is like they handle problems with their guns, you will be pleased.

My experience has been very positive for both companies. Dillon is right here in town and if I had the decision to make today, I would give very careful consideration to Dillon.

Hope this helps.

Geetarman
Old November 13, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Expypate

I have a Blackhawk bag, but have seen the range bag from Midway and it's pretty nice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ayusabrandpage
Old November 13, 2010, 08:20 PM   #4
nefprotector

Yes, I was looking at the Midway bag. Thanks guys!
Old November 13, 2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Jimmy10mm

If you want high quality at a reasonable price for an American made bag .... Bagmaster is what I have made my default bag for all of my guns. Great stuff and helping to support our economy rather than China. They don't need any help. Bagmaster products are guaranteed for life as well.

http://www.bagmaster.com/
Old November 14, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
lmccrock

Larue Tactical has a couple bags. Looks like mine is not on the website anymore, but is kindof like this one. There is also a more compact size which is less spendy. "Constructed in the USA".

Lee
Old November 14, 2010, 08:33 PM   #7
sserdlihc

I went to TJ MAXX and found an Eddie Bauer diaper bag for $10. Excellent range bag.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
geetarman

So. . .how many "loads" 'ya think you can get in THAT bag?

Geetarman
Old November 14, 2010, 09:07 PM   #9
RugRat

I'm definitely not a pro with me purchasing my first gun this past week, but just order this bag which was a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-De...9786765&sr=8-1
Old November 14, 2010, 09:16 PM   #10
scottl

+1 on Midway Bag.
You can pack:
4 Earmuff
10 1911 mags
10 HP mags
5 Buckmark mags
Buckmark
Hi-Power
Cleaning kit
4 pr glasses
bottle of foam earplugs
More ammo than you need
6" Shoot n see targets
Stapler & staples
Everything you'll need and then some
Old November 14, 2010, 09:43 PM   #11
ZeSpectre

I actually use an AWP rolling tool bag. It was WAY too heavy filled up with tools but it's perfect as my range bag with all the odds and ends in there along with a small Allen pistol case actually holding the firearms.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; November 14, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old November 15, 2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Turf

Another vote for the Midway Competition Bag - it's still on sale for $39.99 too - Thought the sale was over on 10/31 -
Old November 15, 2010, 03:29 PM   #13
KSFreeman

Waller & Sons made great bags, but sadly they are no more.

I am considering a replacement for my own Waller & Sons bag. I have narrowed it down to these:

1. http://tac-force.com/rangebags.aspx

2. http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...:10905/I/59049
Old November 15, 2010, 09:05 PM   #14
ZEBRARANGER

For years I had been on a quest for the perfect range bag for my handgun shooting trips. In the last 15 years I've probably purchased at least a dozen or so. Many of them online or at different stores during my travels, most didnt hold up or offer the space that I really needed. I like to take at least 5 handguns including my 9.5" Super Redhawk, Colt King Cobra, 6" GP100, and usually two or three others. I also pack a dozen to 15 boxes of ammo along with some gunsmithing tools and accessories such as a couple of pair of hearing muffs, indoor and outdoor shooting glasses, basic cleaning supplies, ect. Needless to say thats a lot of weight and honestly most of the bags just didnt hold up. Then about three years ago, I was shopping at a local home improvement store for some saw blades when I saw the perfect bag for hauling my heavy load to the range. Its made by CLC Custom LeatherCraft, and yes, its a large heavy duty tool bag. Its made to haul a heavy load of tools. It has thick padded handles and a nicely padded shoulder strap to manage the weight of the load. It has three compartments with the main compartment measuring 21" L X 10" W X 16" D. This compartment holds 12 boxes of ammo in the floor of the bag and 5 full size handguns in their rugs with room to spare for a couple of pair of hearing muffs, towel, and other items. It also has storage pockets at each end of the main compartment for other items like shooting glasses and such. One of the best parts is the two huge outside fully opening zipper pockets, one side holds a full range of gunsmithing tools, and the other side holds a full cleaning kit plus other accessories. Its designed to haul tools so its built like a tank. It has the biggest, most heavy duty zippers that I've ever seen. They're monsters that feel like they zip on ball bearings. Just look at the size of the stitching on this thing. By far the best range bag that I've ever owned and probably the last. Can you tell I have become pretty fond of this bag.

Old November 15, 2010, 09:37 PM   #15
grumpa72

don't laugh but I bought a tool bag from Home Depot. Two end pockets on each end on the outside hold my AR mags. Many (6? per side) pockets lining the inside that hold the magazines for the four different semi-autos and lots of interior space gun pouches, ammo, and all of the other stuff we need. Very reasonably priced and it doesn't scream GUN when sitting in my car, although it is usually in the trunk.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:04 PM   #16
mikejonestkd

The midway bag is a great bag for the money. I have one and it was well worth the $39.99 I paid for it.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Nnobby45

I've used my Armadillo for years. It's durable and tough. No amount of ammo or guns is too heavy for it. Has padded dividers to protect guns. and plenty of room in center for ammo.

Yes, I have the fancy ones with all the zippered compartments. I tend to convert those into go bags for emergency use. I take the Armadillo to the range.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Beowulf5505

I usually carry in a bag similar (but not identical) to this one http://www.thisnext.com/tag/hornady-ammo/ the one i have does not have the unfortunate shoulder strap that makes this one look like a purse.

i bought it for $4 at a clearance sale at a surplus store. unfortunately my pistol is not with me right now as i recently moved to NY now it is full of crummy GI m16 mags.

might be worth swinging by a surplus store and seeing what they have. it will be cheaper, hands on, and IMHO just as good as one of those high speed bags.
Old November 16, 2010, 08:55 AM   #19
spacecoast

The Midway bag is a great bag at a good price, I've had one for a year or so. They sent a free strap to replace the old one after they determined it was not as well made as it should be, and I was able to switch the old strap to another bag - thanks Midway!

Anything saying or sold by "...Tactical..." is most likely overpriced IMHO.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:15 PM   #20
sserdlihc

Quote:
So. . .how many "loads" 'ya think you can get in THAT bag?
4 pistols, 16 magazines, 600 rounds of ammo, 3 sets of shooting ear muffs, 3 bottles of water, 3 packs of Lance cheese crackers, a pen, 3 pairs of shooting glasses.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:40 PM   #21
qwik

+3 Midway bag . Great bag at Great price. Only problem two three gun with ammo heavy, but this bag can take it no regrets
Old November 16, 2010, 08:59 PM   #22
Pilot

iSHOT Pro Shooter. Best range bag made period!
Old November 17, 2010, 01:19 AM   #23
686+

Another vote for tool bags. Harbour Freight has a small tool bag that has pockets on the inside and outside. 8-10 pockets, big enough to hold double stack mags, gun oil bottle, and a small cleaning kit. Bag interior is big enough for 2x WWB packs, pistol, holster, mag pouches, ear muffs and eye protection. Yes it's fully packed when done, but it's tiny and for the price you can have one bag per gun - just grab it and go.

Correction: They now have a 6 pocket bag that is 12" long. List price ~7 bucks.

Last edited by 686+; November 17, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old November 17, 2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Buzzard Bait

harbor freight

I also use a harbor freight bag or should I say bags. I have one for the range one for hunting. I wouldn't have admitted to it had not the last poster come clean.
b
Old November 19, 2010, 10:32 AM   #25
chiefr

I too use the Midway bag