The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
tkcomer

Ramshot True Blue Powder

Has anybody tried the Ramshot True Blue powder? Looking for a single do all powder for my 357 and 44 mag. The load data in both looks to be usable for slow cast loads and hot jacketed loads. Any comments?
Old November 26, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
tkcomer

Guess nobody has tried it yet.
Old November 26, 2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Robert M Boren Sr

Yes, I use it and Enforcer. Enforcer is a better powder for the 44 and I haven't used it in the 357 yet. I use both powders in my 45auto. Excellent clean powders. One thing to remember though these powders need a magnum primer to completly ignite.
Old November 26, 2006, 01:24 PM   #4
tkcomer

I was looking at the Enforcer. But I have a tendency to go back and forth between lead, plated and jacketed bullets. Enforcer looks a little hot for lead. I do use magnum primers in these calibers. Glad you like the Enforcer. I just haven't heard much about this company. Saw a flier in my last order from Midway.
Old November 26, 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

www.ramshot.com
Old November 26, 2006, 04:30 PM   #6
tkcomer

I've already printed out the load data for all the Ramshot powders. The minimum load data for Enforcer pushes the bullets in both calibers a little faster than I like with plated or lead bullets. True Blue loads them a little slower and more to my liking.
Old November 28, 2006, 01:03 AM   #7
K57

I've been using it for a while now. Mr. Boren is correct, in .357 Mag loads, you'll get better results with Magnum primers even though Ramshot did not always recommend them. True Blue works very well in 9mm and .45 ACP as well. Could be one of the best powders for accuracy in .40 S&W. Standard primers in the autoloading pistol cartridges. I use CCI and Winchester. In .45 ACP, I had particularly good results using True Blue and the 185 and 230 gr. Remington Golden Sabers. 9mm, Rem. 124 gr. JHPs. Strictly for .357 Magnum, Enforcer is the better choice, but few are better than AA#9. As far as using a single powder, True Blue is the best candidate I can think of. I never really thought Unique was the answer. As you've probably found out by now, few powders meter better than True Blue and it is very consistent in every cartridge it's recommended for and that covers everything from .380 ACP to .454 Casull. Great powder.
Old November 28, 2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Clark

I have heard that:

Quote:
HS-6 = W540= True Blue
I have also heard that:
Quote:
Enforcer = AA#9 =H108 = WC820
The only thing I can say for sure is that I have both Enforcer and AA#9 and they have some similarities:
1) They look the same.
2) They smell the same.
3) They have the same density.
4) They have the same load to reach the threshold of the limit of the brass strength in 7.62x25mm Tokarev 110 gr bullet
Old November 28, 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
tkcomer

With the shipping charges on powder, I'm looking to buy in 4 pound containers. One thing I like about the True Blue is it also has listing for the 38. My Dad passed away years ago and I have a few guns from him. One is a 5 shot Smith that almost looks almost new. It's a little thing. Then other is a nickel Colt. He bought it in '72 I think. Detective Special. This gun is pristine. He only fired one cylinder just to make sure it worked. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try True Blue as soon as I shoot my other powder up. I have no load listings for the 38 in those powders.
Old November 29, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Clark

At Pat's reloading
Quote:
HS-6 (WC 540) from Hodgdon bulk, Shotgun, Pistol Powder, 4lbs-49.99. 8 lbs-94.99

Which is .....True Blue.
Old November 29, 2006, 12:54 AM   #11
K57

Clark: Hodgdon will tell you that HS-6 and 540 are the same powder and load data is interchangeable. Ditto for 571 and HS-7. All of the other speculation about this Hodgdon powder and that Winchester's are identical is just that, speculation. They come from the same source, but when Hodgdon and Winchester Powder were two seperate entities, they had their own spec for coatings and such. I probably already mentioned this somewhere, but Silhouette is WAP. Winchester dropped it, Western Powder Company (Ramshot) obtained the rights. Load data for Silhouette is the same as WAP. In fact, Ramshot is using the data generated by Winchester.

I've heard the same thing about #9 and Enforcer, but I don't believe they are the same powder. The bulk densities are slightly different. AA#9 comes from the Czech Republic last I heard and Enforcer is made in Belgium as is True Blue. I use True Blue and HS-6, they are definitely not the same powder.

BTW, have you blown up any cartridges today? I think you're about the only guy I've seen on forums setting out to do that deliberately.