The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2000, 09:03 AM   #1
hollow point

Does anyone have a range review for this shotgun?

TIA

Old July 3, 2000, 11:33 AM   #2
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

JPFO site has a review of Saiga 12 under "Life preserver testing" http://www.jpfo.org/siaga.htm

I also found several mentions of the gun on www.ak-47.net forums. All in all, I wonder about the tactical niche for it (.410 slugs aren't that powerful) though the 20ga version looks good.
Old July 3, 2000, 10:28 PM   #3
Benjamin

You wonder about the tactical niche?

Ok, here's a pipe dream........

Add a rifled barrel

acquire several 10 round magazines (legal in us......but about $40, last time I saw them)

Load magazines with 00 or 000 buck

You pull trigger once.

Three to five projectiles exit.
Viola! Instant 3+ round burst (effect), to satisfy those AK cravings.

I know this can't work.......it would be too much fun.
Old July 5, 2000, 11:05 AM   #4
KilgorII

Why a rifled barrel for buckshot?

Old July 5, 2000, 11:34 AM   #5
Hueco

Because I imagine that the buckshot is the same diameter as the small .410 bbl, so each porjective would be stablized like a slug. They would be loaded end-on-end in the hull. Guys did this way back when for their handgun shotshells. They take a block of alluminum, drill an appropriate size hold in it, then take buck shot and flatten it in that bolck so that they would match the diamter of their bore (for .45s, .38s, etc).

Hueco
Old July 5, 2000, 02:28 PM   #6
KilgorII

It wouls be shaped somewhat like a pancake flying sideways? Wouldn't that make it slow down and lose velocity really quickly?

Old July 5, 2000, 05:22 PM   #7
Daniel Watters

Of course, why stop at 000 Buck? Ballistic Products offers a plated and hardened .380" pellet which they call 0000 Buck. Moreover, .395" and .410" balls are available for muzzle-loaders and other applications. I've calculated that you could get four of the larger pellets in a 3" .410 hull.

Given a straight stack of pellets, a rifled choke might give a pretty decent pattern. I've read of experiments involving multi-ball loads in the .444 Marlin and .45-70 Government. The latter used three .457" muzzle-loading balls and reputedly patterned within 3" at 75 yards.
Old July 6, 2000, 09:16 AM   #8
Hueco

Yup, BC of a flattened pellet is awful. But in a .410, you could use a round ball. Still has a bad BC, but better then a flattened 00.

Hueco