The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 6, 2015, 05:02 PM   #26
Nick_C_S

11,000 Now

Since my OP, I've cranked out another thousand. She's up to 11,000 now.
Old August 6, 2015, 06:28 PM   #27
MrBorland

In 3 weeks? Nice work! You're going to double it's round count quickly, methinks.

A well-shot revolver gives me warm fuzzies.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:33 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

I have been shooting quite a bit lately. Have a competition Sunday (ICORE).

Didn't shoot that well today - had the shakes a bit, and stopped at 192 rounds.
Old October 3, 2015, 06:58 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

12,000 Now

My 67 is up to 12,000 rounds now. This last thousand took a while. Had lots going on, and was shooting other calibers.
Old October 4, 2015, 03:19 PM   #30
Guv

I have no idea how many rounds I've shot trough any of my guns, eleventymillion? I do like to clean my hunting rifles after about 20 rounds though.
Old July 20, 2016, 03:39 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

14,000 Rounds Now

(I know this is an old thread. I'm just humoring myself .)

My M67 is up to 14,000 rounds now. 14K in 28 months - 500/month. My pace has tapered off a bit. Even during shooting season, I don't feel a need to practice quite as much as I used to.

I took it out today and put 208 rounds through it. A lot of "support hand only" practice for this Saturday's IDPA.

Love my little K-frame.
Old July 20, 2016, 03:59 PM   #32
Sevens

I like this thread. I love round counts, and I probably said something to that effect up above. (I'll check what I wrote in a minute...)

Hard to believe that I'll ever crank up such lofty numbers in any one firearm because I am constantly spreading the shooting over so many. Typically 650-850 rounds on each trip, roughly once a month, but typically across 6-8 handguns.

I get genuine enjoyment from keeping a very strict round count on each and every one of them. I also write up recaps of my trips. Just something I like to do.
Old July 21, 2016, 02:27 PM   #33
SIGSHR

In Fast and Fancy Revolver Shoooting Ed McGivern has pictures of tight groups fired through S&W K-22s with over 200,000 rounds through them.
Old July 21, 2016, 02:46 PM   #34
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Hard to believe that I'll ever crank up such lofty numbers in any one firearm because I am constantly spreading the shooting over so many.
My M67 isn't the only gun I shoot. But it gets the call to the range most often though. Sevens, I kind of do the opposite of your range trips: Rather than bring a bunch of guns once a month and crank out a boatload of rounds; I go five or six times a month and bring one - maybe two - guns, some 200 rounds.

My 686 3" gets its share of use. And I have a 629 5" that I put a lot of Specials through - just to switch things up from my usual .357 diameter fodder (it also has a really nice trigger for a stock/new Smith, btw). And then there's my three 1911's that get a fair amount of work. Specifically, I picked up a Kimber last year whose only duty is range play (should have picked up a Springfield instead, but that's for another post).

It's off the subject, but you may find it rather ironic for a revolver guy such as me, that no gun feels better in my hand than a 1911 - so . . . natural. JMB was a genius.
Old July 21, 2016, 03:01 PM   #35
Sevens

I have gone through multiple stages, really. Back in the day it was just a few handguns that I owned so just those few got all the work. A few years back, life changed radically and it was time to finally begin chasing handguns the way I had always wanted to do (but could not.)

I found quickly after doing that... each range day became "the proving grounds." I would spend time getting to know a new gun, and vetting it or accessories for it and/or making changes, adjustments or fixes. To say nothing of all the different bullet/powder combinations that I am (seemingly) constantly testing.

For the first time in a long time, I am extremely happy with where I am at and there are precious few guns that I hope to add. A "favorite" handgun will typically make stretch of 4-6 months where it comes along every single trip. Lately, that has been my TZT-prefix Model 52-2.

I go in cycles. Certainly seems to work well for me. I'm enjoying it immensely, hasn't gotten boring and I'm also quite happy with the quality of shooting that I am doing.
Old July 21, 2016, 07:08 PM   #36
Nick_C_S

I think we've discussed having walked similar paths. I started shooting heavily in '84, through '90. Then life got in the way and I throttled way back until '12. In '84, I was all revolver. By '90, I was all 1911 (45 ACP). So when I started back in it in '12, I assumed I'd be back to the 1911. But it wasn't long at all after, that I found myself more and more reaching for my revolvers (especially, my 686 4").

So yes, we go through phases. This revolver phase has been a long one. And my gut tells me it's going to stick around for a while. For one thing, chasing down brass has little appeal to me at age (almost) 54 .