The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 28, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1
BoogieMan

1911a1 Values and questions

Found a 1911 Colt made in 1943 at LGS. Price is $1250 cash. Parkerizing is 90-95% intact with light holster wear at muzzle. A couple of nicks on slide from the link pin but no idiot scratch. Feed ramp still parked, magazine has no scratches from being removed. IMO it was issued to someone who was stateside or other non combat troop. Numbers appear to all match.
Is it worth $1250??? What should be my concern?
Its the price of a new Kimber and surely wont shoot as well, but next year it will be worth as much or more while that Kimber will drop $200 after the first shot.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 28, 2015, 12:47 PM   #2
RickB

I'd be concerned that everything is as it appears.
Are the slide serial numbers imprinted on the back of the (edit) firing pin stop (an indication that the gun has been shot with the numbered slide)?
Are all the small parts correct?
Is the frame feed ramp bare metal, or is it parkerized (the latter evidence of a refinish)?
There are all sorts of little details, but matching slide and frame, in the described condition, is going to be a valuable gun.
If there's a small part that needs replacing with a "correct" one, that's generally not a huge deal.
Everyone accepts that the military didn't care if parts matched, if a Colt slide stop ended up in a Remington Rand pistol, etc., so if the major parts do match, it's a rare find.
I have a '42 Colt with a slide numbered three units off the frame, so it's a "mismatch", and I wouldn't sell it for $1250.

Last edited by RickB; April 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:15 PM   #3
eastbank

a nice piece of history from when world war 11 was still up for grabs, i would buy it in a heart beat. better than money in the bank. eastbank.
Old April 29, 2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Buzzcook

If it is as you describe, buy it.
Old May 2, 2015, 01:18 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

I'd kick myself for not buying it. Go back tomorrow morning, make your best deal, and buy it.

Money in the bank.
Old May 2, 2015, 05:25 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I forgot to update the thread. Bought it tuesday. my best estimate at real value is about $1800. I think I made a good buy. Yesterday (friday) I ended up buying a 1903 colt for $500 (see other thread "darn it!"). 2 classic colt sa pistols in one week. WOW!
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 2, 2015, 06:12 AM   #7
1stmar

I'm with rick on this one. Since 1943 this thing has been reissued dozens of times. Parkerizing on the barrel seems like a sign to me. Not saying it's not worth 1250 just be sure you know what you are getting. 90-95% parkerizing seems like a real find (read suspicious).