The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: If you were asked whether you own a gun by a pollster you would answer....
Yes, I own more than one even. 27 14.92%
Yes, (But refuse to answer about any details.) 40 22.10%
Refuse to answer the question. 76 41.99%
Guns,who has guns? No guns here! (or words to that effect) 38 20.99%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 17, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
scrubcedar

Gun Ownership Poll Accuracy

Folks, we've seen a lot of posts and threads about the accuracy of studies saying gun ownership is decreasing.
First a few points from a man who used to take medical studies apart for a living.
If you ask someone whether they own a gun and they answer yes you have not established whether they own a gun. You have not seen the gun, you have not touched, or in this time of air soft guns, established it is indeed a firearm. You have simply established that this person will answer yes to the question under certain circumstances.

If they answer no, without a detailed investigation probably requiring many man hours, you certainly haven't established they don't own a gun. Even if you were to establish the facts one way or another you have simply gotten the right answer for that day.

To help you understand how inaccurate this is I'm setting up an experiment.
The Poll above is simple,"If you own a gun right now if a pollster asked you whether you own any guns you would-"

Last edited by scrubcedar; March 17, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
K_Mac

There is not a snowball's chance in Honolulu that I would answer this question from a random pollster. Yes, I own guns. If you know me at all you don't have to ask; if you don't know me it is none of your bidness.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm unlikely to answer any questions posed by random pollsters calling me, much less ones about what valuable possessions I might have in my home.

Edited to add: I would probably answer a poll in which I contacted the pollsters, but not the other way around. I'm way too nervous about folks testing the waters to rob my house. Heck, I may be a little extreme, but I won't even verify security information on any inbound call, like from my bank.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 17, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

Never seen a gun before.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 17, 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
scrubcedar

I have a strong suspicion you two are representative. Which would inevitably lead to under-reporting strong enough to skew any poll numbers.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I have a strong hunch that you are correct: gun ownership is probably very underreported/underrepresented for a variety of reasons.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Fishing_Cabin

I answered with the "Guns, who has guns" bottom answer...I dont trust the pollsters not to be either a theif, or a friend of a theif. Also, from the looks of some of these polls, these pollsters are no friends either.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Evan Thomas

"I'm sorry, but I don't do polls." <hangs up>
Old March 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
scrubcedar

If we can get enough response to this poll it occurs to me that it would be a useful thing to put in a link to a lawmaker on the fence. "This constituency is under-reported Senator, here's hoping it's not necessary for you to find out the hard way next election day."
Old March 17, 2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Rorik

Quote:
This would be my answer. Don't want to say anything like "I would prefer not to say" as that hints that you probably have a firearm and just don't want the person on the other line knowing. I would never say yes for reasons already listed and I wouldn't say no as if it is a true poll I do not want to give misinformation.

K_Mac has it right: if you know me, you know where I stand on guns and know that I own many firearms. If you don't know me, it most certainly is none of your damn business.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
egor20

Quote:
Vanya

Bingo, we have a winner!!

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 17, 2013, 11:29 PM   #12
GM2

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't do polls." <hangs up>
Old March 18, 2013, 05:19 AM   #13
2ndsojourn

^^^^ I agree.

NOYB.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Sport45

I live in Texas.

"Why are you calling, doesn't everyone have guns?" The vistor information centers are there at the border to issue one along with a road map if you need it.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
scrubcedar

Almost 70% showing that they would not answer yes when asked by a pollster. Considering that most studies show between 35% and 50% think about what that means.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:07 PM   #16
lcpiper

What's a polster?

Really, I am over 50 and not once in my life have I been asked to take part in a poll?

The closest I have come is a few mail-in or on-line surveys.

I would probably refuse to respond.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:15 PM   #17
draidt

So what would be your answer if your primary care physician asked you this in a general check up or in a emergency room visit ? You know damn well a refusal to answer will be a mark in the yes column. Welcome to Obama care.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:20 PM   #18
lcpiper

Umm, I would walk out.

No patient = no money = a rethinking of policy.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:36 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Obamacare, however, is not the subject of this thread.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

I have now gone through and deleted posts that I would characterize as off-topic bickering. Such bickering continued after my last warning regarding Obamacare. Either stay on-topic for this thread, or go find a thread where you can stay on topic.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:07 PM   #21
AllenJ

I've been "polled" a couple of times in my life and I usually end up arguing with them. Stats are typically manipulated to say what the person paying for them wants, or never published when they can't be. A waste of time is what it boils down to in my opinion.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
Gaerek

Quote:
Heck, I may be a little extreme, but I won't even verify security information on any inbound call, like from my bank.
That's not extreme, that's smart. My wife and I have been called no less than 6 times in the past 8 years from someone claiming to be from the bank. When we told them we'd call back using the number on the back of the card or from the website, they immediately hung up, and when we did call, the bank wasn't trying to contact us at all.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:17 PM   #23
sigcurious

I answered refuse to answer the question. However, that would be in the form of refusing to do the poll in the first place.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

In this day and age of endless phone scams and assorted phishing schemes, I'm not answering any poll questions.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:33 PM   #25
buck460XVR

If I knew it was a legitimate poll, I would have no problem answering yes without going into details.