The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Tex S

Lee FCD out of spec???

I have been loading 45 auto exclusively on my LCTP using a Lee Deluxe die set. The load is 5.3gr of W231 under a 200gr LaserCast LSWC seated to 1.250". I have probably completed about 2000 rounds without a hitch, but I have noticed the FCD "touches" each finished cartridge. I am quite sure I have the dies set up correctly (I have checked and double checked), but I still seem to be having the same problem.

Well, I just got some bullets for my 380, so I started working up some loads for it. I am using 2.9gr of W231 under a 102gr Remington Golden Sabre seated to .965". When I run these through the FCD, the sizing ring doesn't even touch the case.

What gives? Why is the FCD post sizing the 45auto but not the 380auto? I have both seating dies adjusted to seat only... no crimp whatsoever. I am wondering if the 45auto FCD has a out of spec carbide insert. How could I check this? What could be going on?

I think I will try FL sizing a 45 case, but instead of expanding it, insert it straight into the FCD with no bullet seated. If the case then gets post sized, could I conclude that the FL die is not sizing the brass enough, or the FCD is sizing it too much?
Old September 13, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Don H

Lead bullets run about 0.001" larger than jacketed bullets. It appears that's enough for the LFCD to either touch or not touch during the operation.

Edited to add: You may want to try a jacketed bullet in the .45ACP and see if the die "touches".
Old September 13, 2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Tex S

I was wondering if the LSWC might have something to do with it.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Mtn Biker

Mine does the same thing. It usually touches almost every 45ACP I load regardless of bullet used but only touches a couple per batch of 9mm.
I always figured it was normal as the 45ACP case sides are close to parallel from end to end and the 9mm is actually tapered around .010" thicker at the rear. Not sure about the 380 case though.
I think you are good to go. I've loaded thousands of rounds with my 45 Lee FCD without any issues.

VL
Old September 14, 2009, 08:07 AM   #5
wncchester

The Lee "post seating sizer ring" in the FCD is only intended to insure the loaded round isn't larger than it's supposed to be. If a round doesn't touch, it's not too big. ??
Old September 14, 2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

That's correct, and .45 ACP brass comes in a range of case wall thicknesses. The thicker stuff will touch more and the thinner stuff (R-P) will touch less with the same bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle