The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
multistage

Neck turning

Got a neck turner last week. Am working on a batch of brass that, after all other prepping, has necks that are thicker on one side than the other. So I got a neck turner. I have heard this is a bad idea as my rifles are standard (no wildcats), and I have heard that this is a good idea, as my brass will be more uniform. Any suggestions?
Old December 30, 2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Benchrest chamber necks are narrower than standard, and they have to turn necks so the neck has room to open up around a bullet and let go of it. In a standard chamber it doesn't hurt, but does mean you will work the brass more between firing and resizing, so the need to anneal will increase in frequency — that or you toss them earlier as neck splits will develop sooner.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 13, 2008, 04:29 PM   #3
SST

Since most of my rifles are custom with precision cut minimum spec chambers, I do a little neck turning, but only when warranted. If you are not working with a precision cut chamber, neck turn only to knock off the high spots. Do not turn them to perfect concentricity or the neck walls will be too thin. It will be difficult to achieve good neck tension on the bullet, and the case won't last long.

I buy large lots of brass. When I buy new brass for a factory cartridge, I run it through the mill. It is definitely overkill for most people, but I enjoy it. I uniform the primer pockets, ream the flash holes, full length resize, trim them all to a uniform length and deburr. Then I weigh them and sort into groups. All cases within that group should be close to the same, so I start measuring at the expansion ring with a micrometer. If the case is out of round, I cull that case out of the group. If the brass is thicker on one side at the base, it is probably thicker throughout the length of the case, including the neck. I will find a use for those cases, but it won't be for hunting, or competitive shooting. These are usually the cases that could benefit from a little neck turning. On a factory rifle, neck turning won't make a lot of difference if the chamber leaves a lot to be desired. When you do turn necks, just don't overdo it.
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
Old January 17, 2008, 03:21 AM   #4
multistage

The rifle in question is a 300 H&H that I had built. My very reputable gunsmith assured me that I had a tight chamber, and my Sterrett agrees. Not a factory rifle.
Old January 17, 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Martyn4802

You know that you'll have to use a bushing die to work the neck after firing, right? Standard dies will not size the neck down far enough to hold the bullet after outside neck turning.

Martyn