The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2006, 04:03 PM   #76
pickpocket

I like to throw up on people who have me in a choke hold... after that I get down on all fours and bite their achilles tendon...

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 18, 2006, 04:49 PM   #77
Onebum

Keep it up folks, this is a great thread that is both funny and educational...basically its a good after school movie. Of course i don't think there ever was a good after school movie...anyway.

After having 40+ surgeries, and i'm only 26, I'm limited of course but i've been looking into martial arts classes ever since I got kicked out of my interpretive dance class. Ya'll have given me good info, thanks. Even more important ya'll have given me a few new one liners, and I am a man that loves his one liners.

I gotta tell ya, ya'll are some funny folks. I love puns and witty comments and it's awfully rare to see them in the gun forums...but there's plenty in this thread. I'm gonna copy some of them too, of course I won't give credit.
Old January 18, 2006, 04:50 PM   #78
Onebum

If anyone can, please let me know a source that I can compare forms of martial arts to see whats best for me. I'm looking into the link posted for kung pu magazine, but if anyone has any other links please let me know.

Actually, several of you seem very knowledgeable, perhaps a few of you could discuss the goods and bads with me in another thread, in another forum of course. Lemmie know if any of ya'll are willing to help a fella out, either PM or on here.
Old January 18, 2006, 08:50 PM   #79
USNavy_233

For the sake of comparison:

http://www.martial-way.com/

http://www.atlantamartialarts.com/styles/

That should give everyone a few options to thumb through.
Old January 18, 2006, 11:21 PM   #80
mjolnir

Quote:
I understand the initial use of that statement earlier in the thread. I also agree that Mjolnir made an unrelated, and seemingly pointless statement, and that it was appropriate to rebuttle it. I haven't mentioned anything from Mjolnir (I think that's his name) because I couldn't get my finger on a pointed and intellectual theme in his post.
I'll make it easier for you:

...martial art no work on animal cause human too weak. So, martial art only work on other human if you faster, stronger. So, just use gun. Still, martial art plenty fun.

Quote:
I believe you are referring to kungfucowboy's post (#38). You have taken his statement out of context. It was part of a refutation of a poor analogy, and in the context of fighting animals.
Main Entry: anal·o·gy
Pronunciation: &-'na-l&-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
1 : inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will prob. agree in others
2 a : resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY b : comparison based on such resemblance

That wasn't an analogy.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:02 AM   #81
KNJoe

Mjolnir, you are tiresome. You also fail to crasp the subtle arts of syllables, phonetic distinguants, and silence.

Onebum, the bestway to find more about 'which is best for you' is to simply become involved in it.
Grab a phone book; look up all the martial arts with really cool names. Note; if you don't think the names cool, you probably wont stick with it too long Call a bunch of them and find out when you can head down there. The best time to 'head down there' is right then, procrastination is boring. Become involved in something that looks cool. It is extremely unlikely that you will stumble on anything truly PRACTICAL immediately, and anything you find initially you probably won't stick with... So 'looking cool' is a good enough characteristic to judge by.
Converse with your newfound contacts concerning what you find interesting, or would be interested in, what you need in a martial art, what you don't want, et cetera. After all, you can get a bit out of magazines and such, but it's easier (and more fun) to pick the brains of the sorts who have been doing it for decades. You'll be much more likely to find something that meets your preferential balance of practicality and athleticism.

You'll also quickly learn to distinguish a MARTIAL ART with a COMBAT SYSTEM. This is probably something you should know well enough. Some people are unhappy with their martial arts for years and years, because what they were looking for was a combat system and didn't know it. I've never heard of this working the other way, probably because combat systems are so rarely taught nowadays, and are inherently outside the public's eye, thus fairly difficult to locate in the first place.
Old January 19, 2006, 02:41 AM   #82
Twycross

Quote:
have found no sub-forums specific to CCW. Is this purposeful? Is it something that's going to be remedied? Or am I simply being daft in my inability to find it?
There is no CCW-specific forum here at TFL. That's really all of your question that I can answer, and if you want more info than that, you should talk to a mod.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:02 AM   #83
Redworm

Quote:
...martial art no work on animal cause human too weak. So, martial art only work on other human if you faster, stronger. So, just use gun. Still, martial art plenty fun.
Depends on the animal. But martial arts have rarely been developed to combat animals. The self defense aspect is almost always assumed to be self defense against humans. To bring fighting against animals into this is...pointless?

Martial arts do not only work when you're faster and stronger. In fact much of the point of martial arts is the same as guns; it provides an equalizer for those with less physical prowess to use technique and skill against superior strength and speed. Anyone who believes that the stronger and faster guy always wins has never heard of the Gracie family.

As far as just using a gun...not everyone can carry a gun wherever they go. In my state I can't carry at all. Even if you're the best shot in the world it won't mean jack if your attacker kicks the crap out of you before you can even think to draw. Correct me if I'm wrong but the average man can traverse 15-20 feet in the time it takes the average man to draw his gun. I can't remember the name of the guy who's website explained that...I believe he's a former cop, teaches combat techniques and such.

Anyways, to only rely on your gun is, in my opinion, as stupid as only relying on martial arts. You never know what's going to happen and you can't count on that piece of metal in your waistband any more than you can count on yourself to have access to it.
Old January 19, 2006, 09:33 PM   #84
jcims

Probably a lesson from the animal world here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77082758889559
Old January 20, 2006, 12:51 AM   #85
mjolnir

Quote:
Mjolnir, you are tiresome. You also fail to crasp the subtle arts of syllables, phonetic distinguants , and silence.
at least I can spell...
Old January 20, 2006, 01:44 AM   #86
Twycross

[icy voice]

Let's keep things cool here. Personal attacks of any kind from anybody are not welcome here at TFL. Lets get this one back on track.

[/icy voice]

Last edited by Twycross; January 20, 2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 20, 2006, 07:20 AM   #87
stealthmode

Cha-ching...pow!!!!
Old January 20, 2006, 06:28 PM   #88
mjolnir

[even icier voice]

Happy to. Let's get one thing straight...nobody insults me without a response from me...if a poster disagrees with something I've said, address my point; you'll get the same measure of respect you've given.

[even icier voice]
Old January 20, 2006, 11:17 PM   #89
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Before things get even more icey (or is that dicey?), icey voices aren't nice.

Icey voices result in locked threads.

Feel free to start a new one on this,..... minus the icey voices .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread