The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 2000, 10:13 PM   #1
Correia

Between these two bottom ejecting pump guns which do you think is a better design? Which is tougher, smoother, and all around nicer? Which will hold up over years of abuse and waterfowling better?

I'm inclined towards the BPS, I have a friend with one, I shot a few clays with it one day and I was pretty impressed by how nice it was. I've never shot an Ithica, only handled them. So I don't have a very large sample size to look at.

By the way this isn't for me, I'm used to my shells coming out the right side of the gun. I'm just curious.
Old December 7, 2000, 06:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Are you sure you're not practicing up for writing for G&A, Corriea(G)?

I've not that much experience with either one, but....

Waterfowling requires heavy loads,and the 37 is one hte light side. I'm sure it'll hold up for decades, but the shooter might not. This situation, the Browning might be the better choice.
Old December 7, 2000, 08:00 AM   #3
Eric of IN

Much as I love my Ithica, for waterfowling, I've got to go with Dave on this one. The extra weight of the BPS would be a help with recoil, but assuming you're hunting out of a blind, won't be that big a deal on the hunt. Now for hunting where you walk around, the Ithica shines.
Eric
Old December 7, 2000, 12:02 PM   #4
twoblink

As a southpaw, I've asked this question at least 3 times.

This is what I've concluded, it's the best situation you can be in, because there is no bad guns here!

I have a friend who's a Sheriff in Oregon, been doing the Glock+Ithaca combo for years. He's had his Ithaca for 11 years. Small little 37. Let me put it this way, it says in his will that he is to be burried with his Glock and Ithaca.

I have handled both, haven't shot either. The BPS is well built, but so is the Ithaca. The BPS seems a little "recoil friendly" from what my friend tells me, but the Ithaca they say is one of the ultimate hunting guns. The bottom eject keeps the chamber much cleaner.

No bad guns here! You come out a winner with either.

Read my other thread, "Does gauge matter all that much" I'm trying to decide between the gauges...

Albert
Old December 7, 2000, 04:49 PM   #5
crow slayer

Since I have both I'll take a stab at it.
Smoother-Ithaca by far.
Waterfowling- Browning
Upland-Ithaca
Lifespan- flip a coin.
CS
Old December 7, 2000, 05:40 PM   #6
Correia

Dave, yes I am practicing to be a G&A writer, my next thread will be "Super Tactical Ultra Carry Master Blaster 9mm Super Velo-Dog vs. Magnum Opus XXX thigh-master Ogre-Slayer .45!!!"

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't have a whole lot of experience with either of these and I was mostly curious. Sounds like they are both pretty fine guns.
Old December 7, 2000, 07:22 PM   #7
Bam Bam

I own a BPS and love it. Perhaps price is not an object but where I shop the Ithica is $250 more than the BPS ($400 vs $650). After some quick thought I bought a companion gun for the BPS...a Beretta 686 Onyx.

Like the others said, the Ithica is a lighter gun, and your wallet will be lighter too. Why not try winning a FREE Ithica from their website? Good luck!
Old December 7, 2000, 08:58 PM   #8
twoblink

Just came back from "visiting" a BPS, 20 gauge. I think I might pick it up this weekend. Great gun.

I would probably prefer an Ithaca, but that's only if someone is willing to donate the $250 difference in price. The Ithaca's will run $600+ and this BPS was $400.

I really like where the slide lock on the BPS is located, as a southpaw, it's right at the forefinger point, above the trigger well. Very easy to use.

Guess it's going to be a BPS for me!

Oh, and from what I've seen and heard, I think either the Ithacas or the BPS's will outlive you. So that shouldn't be a consideration...

Happy shooting.
Albert
Old December 8, 2000, 08:24 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Corriea, thanks, that article will be in the same issue as my piece on....

"Social shotgun shootout, the Loudenboomer Sp Mag vs the Testosterone Special, the Rambo Signature Model, by Hellbent Technologies.Which is better?"....

Heh,heh,heh.....
Old December 9, 2000, 07:14 PM   #10
sw627pc

Just for info, my little 20 gauge Upland Field BPS has been going strong for over 12 years now. No problems and it is nice and light. The 12 gauge guns are quite a bit heavier though.