The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Creature

Leather holsters and oils

I have always been told never to store a gun in it's holster for the long term because the gun leather can absorb moisture, which in turn can lead to the ruining of a gun's bluing finish.

So, this is probably a very silly question. But is Neet's foot oil (or what ever is used in most leather holsters) corrosive to gun bluing? Or does act quite the opposite when absorbed into leather and can prevent rust on gun bluing?

Last edited by Creature; February 16, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old February 16, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
teeroux

ive never had any problem with any gun rusting from being stored in a holster.

i have actually seen a gun in a holster that had been stored for about 15 years and it only had rust where there wasnt holster.

they only wear the finish off of blued guns from use

im sure someon will say something to the contrary but i belive you will be safe so long as you reguraly maintain your gun.
Old February 16, 2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Don H

I think you'll find that oil rubbed into a good, formed leather holster will soften and ruin it.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Charlie218

No rust

I recently came across my father's carry pistol when he was a detective in the late 1940's, this 38 Colt Detective Special (2") has been in the holster untouched for 57 years!!!! Not a spec of rust, it has been in a cardboard box that whole time....
Old February 17, 2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Creature

Quote:
I think you'll find that oil rubbed into a good, formed leather holster will soften and ruin it.
What about a new holster?

I have a holster that I just purchased from a custom maker and while it is not dripping oil, I can feel that it is slightly oily...and it does leave a trace on the gun when it is withdrawn. I am pretty sure that Neet's Foot Oil and something else was used during the construction of this holster.

I was just wondering if this oil would harm the finish of my pistol. I guess I really don't have anything to worry about because the oil will eventually dissipate as this holster will be carried a lot.
Old February 17, 2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Don H

What does your custom holster maker say about it?
Old February 18, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Creature

As expected, he says it wont harm the finish. Its not that I dont trust him. I am just trying to sort out I have heard about only holstering a gun when actually carrying it prevent harming the finish.
Old February 18, 2008, 07:27 PM   #8
dairycreek

A long time ago I had a good leather holster and thought that Neet's foot oil would be just the ticket. It softened that holster and functionally ruined it. Oil on custom holsters is a bad, bad idea.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old February 18, 2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Never put leather softener or oil on a holster. It will break it down pretty quick and cause it to lose its retentional ability.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 19, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old February 19, 2008, 09:32 AM   #10
tegemu

Holstersmiths say to never put oil on a holster as it will soften the leather and ruin it by loosing it's shape.
Old February 20, 2008, 03:06 PM   #11
nemesis

Please, don't ever oil or grease a good holster. No neatsfoot oil, mink oil, beef tallow, bear grease, hog fat or whale blubber unless you want a nice, soft leather sock.

If you just want to clean it up, try saddlesoap or Galco's Leather Lotion but no oil, ever.
Old February 29, 2008, 02:40 AM   #12
moose fat

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but in the same vein, and talking to the manufacturer is probably the best.

What can be used to preserve a nice custom molded holster?