The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
TRguy

Beretta 1201FP

Picked up a State Highway Patrol trade in:

Beretta 1201FP, originally purchased and issued to the highway patrol in the mid 90s.

$299 and functionally is fine, as it hasn't been shot much, but it is a beast to shoot. Recoil seems worse than my 12 ga pump. Regardless it is a keeper at the moment

Found this little write up. http://www.thegunzone.com/1201fp.html
Old August 8, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2
zippy13

And you expected a 6 1/4 pound recoil-operated semi-automatic shotgun to recoil softly? You might try some reduced recoil SD/HD loads. Some added mass would help, too.
Old August 9, 2010, 06:15 AM   #3
TRguy

Never said I expected anything. Just making an observation.
Old August 9, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
oneounceload

What Zippy was alluding to is that a light gun with heavy loads, regardless of the action, is going to thump you pretty hard. Using lighter loads, adding mass (weight), getting a better recoil pad, and making sure it fits will all aid in reducing the actual and perceived recoil effects
Old August 9, 2010, 08:18 AM   #5
TRguy

Agreed, I have got a 5" Beretta Limbsaver on order.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
JNewell

Quote:
And you expected a 6 1/4 pound recoil-operated semi-automatic shotgun to recoil softly? You might try some reduced recoil SD/HD loads. Some added mass would help, too.
I owned one of the 1201FPs briefly and really didn't like the recoil. The comment about relatively light weight being a factor is probably right on. However, you can't fix that by adding mass to an inertial gun like this or the similar Benelli M1/M2. You will pretty quickly get into reliability issues.
Old August 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
BigJimP

Adding a pound or two - to it is possible as well --- and will help a lot.

If you go to a "golf" store - they sell lead tape in packages for weighting golf clubs - and its pretty easy to put 8oz in the forend / under the barrel and on top of the mag tube. Then put 8oz inside the butt stock -- and make sure you mark the balance point before you start / so you don't change the handling between your hands ....

An additional one lb will reduce the recoil about 20% ... / I've made the same changes on my current models of Benellis.
Old August 9, 2010, 05:24 PM   #8
mete

This is actually ,with a few minor details, a Benelli M1 90 ! Very easy to take apart and clean . Recoil is no problem for me .
Old August 9, 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
JNewell

BigJim, you had no troubles with reliable cycling with another pound of weight on the gun?
Old August 9, 2010, 06:28 PM   #10
BigJimP

No, my Benelli's are both Super Sport models / and I have one in 12ga and one in 20ga ....and they're both cycling just fine with the additional weight ...as long as the loads are 1200 - 1225 fps / they won't cycle loads down to 1150 fps reliably. ( and I keep them real clean / and well lubed ..)

Because I've encased the "lead tape" - in a casing / it comes in and out real easily --- if for any reason I want to remove it ( like one of the grandkids is shooting the gun / and they don't like the extra weight ). The 8oz I put in the butt / just insides the stock ( my butt pads on the Super Sport peel right off and on )... so it only takes 30 sec to take it out / or put it back in.