The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
zbones6

Thompson Center Hawken .50 flintlock

Hey guys. I was in the antique store yesterday, and i saw the unmistakable outline of a muzzle. I had found a Thompson Center .50 cal Hawken flintlock rifle. The owner said he would sell it for $200. It appeared to be in good shape, but i dont know for sure. It had no ramrod, and no accessories, no ball starter, no powder measuring tool, no nothing. Is this a good deal? And do you think I will be able to talk him down a little bit? To like $150? Thanks in advance.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Can you get a hold of a bore light? for a look see would be the best thing you could do.
Otherwise that's cheap for a T/C flinter. Its worth a try to bargain it down a little But I wouldn't be disappointed at 200.00 myself.
You might want to check the barrels engraving for the letter K which means it may have been put together from a kit. Is the barrel finish blued or has it been rust browned? Otherwise look carefully at its overall condition nicks, scratches, dents, & cracks in its stock or metal. Bore is the most important of all to check prior to purchasing. If allowed? Take it to a gun shop and have them check its bore if your unable to. Just my opinion is all. Maybe others here have other topics/things to add.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
zbones6

Thanks, the barrel was blued. I dont have a bore light, but could i use a flashlight and look at the inside of the crown?
Old December 9, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Crown area: Not good enough. You really want to see deep down into it if you can. CVA makes those little battery bore lights. Or they did once? Maybe check around for one. EBay is a good start. Might be able to catch a "Buy it now auction" on one. Oh almost forgot those lights came in different color luminances. Yellow / lime green is the best for checking a barrels bore with.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
jackpine

quick answer is that it should be a good deal and if you find mechanical problems T/C has exellent customer service
Old December 10, 2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Hawg

Methinks if you had to rebarrel it its still not a bad deal.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Pahoo

Could be a very good deal

Quote:
And do you think I will be able to talk him down a little bit? To like $150? Thanks in advance.
Sure Shot has listed some very good points and condition is important. At face value, it's a very good deal and even as a wall hanger, for $150.00, it's a good deal. Remember that you can always part it out and get more than your investment. .....

As far as a bore light, the easiest one to get and cheap, is a "Bobbler" light, from Walmart. You should swab the bore as many that have sat, are loaded with dust. I doubt that the bore will be perfect but luck may be with you and do wish you the best. . ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
"Bobbler" light, from Walmart.
You had me scratch'en my head here for a bit Pahoo. Oh!! a (replacement bobber light and battery) for night fishing Bobbers. I never thought of that one. That's an excellent tip for this individual & me too.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
shafter

Drop an empty 38 special casing down the bore and then shine your flashlight. It will light it right up, especially if its a nickle plated case.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Pahoo

I'm a Regressive; I'm cheap !!!

Quote:
That's an excellent tip for this individual & me too.
Not a problem and these little guys will even fit into the .32's. The last ones I bought, were about $3.00 each. ....

Here is an even better one; There are various small multi-tools and pocket knives, that have a small flashlight on them. These take buttom batteries. I just hack-saw them off their blade and use them as a bore light. The O.D. will just fit into a "clean".36. The last one I bought, cost me $5.00 a knife. Everytime I use ones at a Gun Show, dealers and folks ask me where they can buy one. Sure wish I had an answer as I know they would sell. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2012, 09:20 PM   #11
zbones6

I do have a very powerful small flashlight, can i shine it through the flash hole to get a look at the bore? Im really restricted with my tools at college.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:54 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

A flinter you say? If that is correct you could un-screw its Vent Liner out of its flash hole (its slotted for a flat bladed screw-drive) and hold a really bright flashlight up against the empty flash hole Be careful not to strip the V/L's slot. It should offer enough light to get a reasonable look into its breech & bore area. Not the best lighting but enough to check for rust or a stuck ball.
If you can't see any light at all. Than there's probably a stuck ball or patch some-where's in its bore. And (it) would need to be removed prior to doing your bore check. But that's a whole different issue for the time being.

I have a 50 T/C hawken flinter barrel here and tried what I just wrote and it works. A small thin Flat bladed screwdriver and a bright flashlight are all the tools you'll need to accomplish this task. It would please us here to know what you found out. Good luck zbones6.

S/S

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; December 11, 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: tweak here & there un-necessary wording.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #13
mykeal

Actually, I'd use a ramrod to check for a loaded ball before I looked down the barrel for a light.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:29 AM   #14
zbones6

Thanks a lot guys, you've been tons of help.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Pahoo

We'll be looking for you !!!

Hold up; zbones
We are going to expect you to get back to us on how you make out on this. So many times we give advice or opinions and the OP fades into the sunset. What do you think ?? ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 12, 2012, 05:58 PM   #16
zbones6

Yeah. When i buy it, ill give you guys the lowdown. It will probably be after the New Year, just so you know.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:16 PM   #17
zbones6

New Purchase!

Her guys, I finally bought the rifle! Turns out its not a Hawken, but a Renegade. Im still happy with my purchase. Ill post pics as soon as I can.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
USMCGrunt

Yeah, I used to have a bore light that went MIA then the other day I got a CVA one at the local gun store. However, when I got it, the battery was dead so I returned it. Having a new to me TC Hawken .50 percussion rifle coming in, I needed to check the bore before my 7-day inspection was up. I have a ton of .45 ACP ammo around so I just dropped a loaded round down the barrel nose first and used the base to reflect the light from my flashlight. I found the bore was in good shape and she shoots good so I'm happy.

Tags
flintlock , hawken , thompson center