The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 3, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
P1090

DIY Fiber Optic Sight (Picture Heavy)

I decided I wanted to try making my own Fiber Optic Sight. I've ordered a couple for my guns and I have yet to see one that looks terribly complicated. As the new sights normally come with extra fiber optic pieces for replacement, the cost of this project was effectively zero. Time involved was a little over an hour. I've learned a lot on this forum, and decided this may be a chance for me to give back, at least a little.

Before I start, a caveat: I'm not an engineer, or a gunsmith. What I am is a college student who had some extra time on his hands and wanted to simply see if I could do it. I apologize in advance for my mediocre camera phone pictures, but they should be plenty to get the idea of what I did.

I recently replaced the stock front sight of my M&P Shield, leaving me with this. I had originally tried to paint the white dot a bright orange to make it have sort of the same sight picture of the rest of my handguns, to obvious failure. It was ever-so-slightly more visible than all black.

The start:

My first step was to drill out a channel to insert the Fiber Optic rod into. I used a 1/16 inch drill bit and a hand drill initially. After about three minutes I realized the hand drill was nowhere near stable enough and moved to the same drill bit on a drill press. The sight was held in a vise throughout.

Results from the front (with bit used in the background):

The rear:

Next up was to create the cutouts that allow light to be gathered by the rod. I used a simple cutting wheel on a Dremel. I cut down until I nearly bottomed out on the channel I drilled through. Probably could/should have gone a bit lower. Note the marks on the top where my hands conveniently shook enough to place the wheel precisely where I didn't want it to go. Oh well.

Old June 3, 2014, 12:26 PM   #2
P1090

I then touched up the bare metal with some high-tech (sarcasm) model paint in flat black that I had laying around from blacking out the rear sights on the Shield the first time. As mentioned above, I prefer a plain black rear, and I'm also a cheap college student. Black paint over white dots fit both my budget and preferences.

Finally I did the usual "melt one end of the replacement rod and then insert other end through the sight. Cut off excess and melt other end." (paraphrased from FO sight instructions from 10-8, Dawson Precision, etc.)

Finally, a comparison between my home-made sight and the 10-8 Fiber Optic sight I purchased for my Shield. 10-8 on top, mine on the bottom.

The 10-8 sight is much longer, with larger openings, allowing for more light to be gathered by the fiber optic rod. If I were to try this again, I would definitely start with the drill press, though it should be doable with a hand drill. I would have to, at minimum, use a bluing pen to better protect the metal after cutting through it. Also, I would be interested in slimming down the bulbous end of the Fiber optic. I don't know if I'm over-melting it, so any help would be appreciated.

As a quick and easy project, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. If anyone else has done this, I'd love to hear where and how I could improve. If you're thinking of trying this yourself, go for it. It's pretty easy to do.
Old June 3, 2014, 02:09 PM   #3
g.willikers

Very nice job.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old June 3, 2014, 02:42 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

That's a nice do-it-yourself project. The old American Rifleman used to be filled with such articles. Perhaps you could write it up and send it in to them for publication? National fame!
Old June 3, 2014, 08:52 PM   #5
mete

I know they're very popular but I'm one who hates the glowing sights .
I was at one time involved with handgun metallic silhouette with my M29 . It had the red insert. I was with a group seriously testing things.We found that the difference in POI between shooting in the shade vs in the sun --2 clicks at 50 yds !! I put a plain all black sight on mine as did the others in my group !
At one point I bought a Benelli for all purpose use . I had a glowing front sight . First use was a squirrel hunt .As I walked through the woods I was sometimes in the sun , sometimes in the shade .That gave me two very different sight pictures . I went home , dumped the glowing insert , replaced it with a stainless steel rod and have been happy ever since !
Yes the glowing sights are very popular but remember
"popular does not necessarily mean good ! "