The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

Walt- Actually, it says, "Fire Starfire 9mm."
Old January 3, 2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Bill DeShivs

Walt,
Actually, it says "Fire Starfire 9mm."
Old January 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Walt Sherrill

My error for not focusing MORE on the caliber in my reply -- it does say 9mm.

He's still calling it a Starfire 9mm... <grin>

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 3, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #29
Dashunde

Quote:
Mine is the Starfire Plus. I have read around more on the gun now and parts rarity and your claim of a cracked frame seem to be the only negatives.
I'd suggest you check it for fine cracks before paying for it (around the slide stop hole IIRC), mine isnt a claim, its fact, and they kindly replaced it with a UltraStar.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:15 PM   #30
militant

They replaced it? This must have happened before the company went out of business. I'll check mine for cracks.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Dashunde

Yea, it was back in the late 90's and for clarity it was replaced by a dealer out of his house in KC MO, man that place was packed with guns!! He had full auto MP5's and everything else under the sun.

Great looking gun, and it never missed a beat, but.. it gave itself a beating.
The UltraStar was 100% also, just kinda ugly...
Old January 3, 2013, 05:22 PM   #32
militant

I have read so many threads now about this gun now. They sound like tanks.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #33
Nathan

I have the Starvel Firestar 40. It seems like a good gun. I'm not a huge fan of how the safety works, but it works.

Gun shoots well. I have never figured out why these didn't take off, other than weight and maybe the higher effort trigger pull for an SA.

Now, I wouldn't buy one to use hard because parts are hard to come by...so it seems.

Would like to have a blue one!

The mag safety is unnecessary.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:31 PM   #34
BigMike

I bought mine in 1993, a Star Firestar Plus (13 rd) pistol, which would fire with the safety engaged. I got rid of it. Goes without saying I wasn't impressed. It felt great in the hand but I just didn't trust it. Funny that I was chided by friends and fellow shooters at the time for buying a "second tier" pistol. After many years now, it appears my experience is not generally representative of others' experiences (positive) of this pistol. HTH!
TFL Alumni #2636
Old January 3, 2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Walt Sherrill

If it fired with the safety engaged, something was definitely defective.

I've had 4-5 of the Firestar Plus models over the years. I liked them all, but always had other guns that I liked better. Two were Starvel finished. I got them at good prices and used them as "trade" fodder. Did the same with a couple of DaeWoos, an even better gun that is not appreciated by most shooters.

The triggers on the Star guns can be improved by a gunsmith with almost no effort, and the magazine safety can be easily deactivated -- if that's your choice.

Mine were always reliable and accurate. If I found one for a good price, now, I'd grab it. Never had any kind of parts issues. The best buy was one I picked up a few years ago at a Pawn Shop -- ANIB -- for $175. (They obviously didn't know what they were selling.)
Old January 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #36
militant

How much do they go for?
Old January 4, 2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Skans

Walt, thanks for the information about the Starvell finish - I always assumed it was chrome because it is hard, durable and doesn't discolor. Looks more like a brushed chrome too, but it's really hard for me to visually tell the difference between some chromes and nickel finishes.

Regarding the mag disconect - it's an easy part to take out and re-install. My gun came with it uninstalled and I reinstalled it just so I wouldn't lose it. I think there is too much worry about spare parts. These things are tanks, at least my Megastar is. About the only spare part I would want would be a spare recoil spring, and I could probably find a Wolf spring that would work. Maybe a firing pin too. For what I've seen spare parts kits selling for these days, I could probably have a gunsmith make a part if it broke.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:34 AM   #38
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
How much do they go for?
With the exception of the one I found very cheaply, mentioned above, I've seen a lot of them selling in the $250-$325 range... not just the Firestar Plus, but the Firestars, the Megastars, and the Ultrastars. You could do worse for the money, if you find one in that price range.

Extra mags would add a little to the price -- as they're rare for some of the models.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #39
Dashunde

A quick run through Gunbroker shows a couple in the upper $200's with many around $400+.
Way too much for these guns considering similar Smith's are under $400.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:40 PM   #40
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
A quick run through Gunbroker shows a couple in the upper $200's with many around $400+.
Way too much for these guns considering similar Smith's are under $400.
I agree that the S&Ws are better value -- but you can't find many semi-autos selling for less than $300 unless they're absolute junk.

(I spent about $300 new for my Kel-Tec PF9, which is my most frequent "carry" weapon, and I wouldn't swap it for a Firestar Plus...)
Old January 4, 2013, 07:48 PM   #41
militant

I got to actually hold and look at the gun today. I got it. Heavy you say? Not to me at all. It is indeed the Firestar Plus,. It holds 13 rounds. Only thing I don't like about it thus far is the trigger pull is somewhat harder then I expected from a SA.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:54 PM   #42
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Heavy you say? Not to me at all.
Not the Firestar Plus -- it has an alloy frame. It's the STEEL guns (the original Firestar upon which the "Plus" model is based) that are notoriously heavy. Very similar top ends but very different frames.

Any local competent gunsmith can fix the trigger very quickly and easily.