The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 1999, 03:22 PM   #1
Rob62

Well my shotgun (sent in for the $169.00 rebuild) made it to the Wilson plant, in the transfer of guns/equipment from Scattergun Tech. in TN. (In case readers don't know, Scattergun Tech. was bought by Wilson Cbt.) Wilson will not give me any idea of when my gun will be returned. Although they are very friendly and nice, all they tell me is that "your gun is being worked on, we'll get it back to you ASAP , but unfortunately we can't tell you how long it will be before we ship it out". Personally I'm just a little bit PO'd. I can't understand why they could not at least tell me; hey its gonna be at least 90 days, or something like that. But now I fear the worst and that it may take a lot longer than 90 days. Maybe they are having problems getting equipment for the shotgun line set up?!?!

So, anybody here know anything about the Wilson/Scattergun Tech merger and when I might get my shotgun back?

Regards,
Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 5, 1999, 11:25 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Really bad PR by the Company, you have my sympathy...do not give up and fax them constantly...!

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 6, 1999, 12:06 PM   #3
Rob62

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Wilson/Sacttergun Tech. fan. (Though Wilson guns do seem to be somewhat overpriced) I'm just mad about them not giving me an answer to a question that I feel should be easy to answer. It makes me question *why* they can't tell me what I want to know. Are they having machinery problems, labor, parts, etc? All in all it seems like a bad deal for those of us who's guns got caught up in the transition process. I'll give 'em another call tomorrow and see what they say.

------------------
-----------------

Old September 7, 1999, 12:15 AM   #4
bk40

me thinks Wilson has over-extended their gunsmithing capabilities.
About a year ago Wilson was advertising for 12 'smiths, no experience necessary! I'm assuming they are assembling the 1996A2 series...
In last years catalog they had packages offered on Kahrs & Hi-Powers. Those disappeared.
Also, Wilsons sent two of their better (over $2,000) custom pistols for T&E to 2 different gun rags (one was AH, can't remember the other) and both pistols had problems. Not Good!
I prefer to stick with the one man shop...I can wait.

Good luck with your shotgun!
Old September 7, 1999, 12:07 PM   #5
Rob62

FWIW, talked to Wilson's customer svc. folks today. Was told that their Parkerization tanks were up and running and that they were basically in "full swing" as far as the shotgun side of the business goes. The technician I spoke with again was very friendly and promised to call and leave an answer on my machine about when my gun might be shipped/ready. He did say that he wouldn't be surprised if my gun already shipped out to me. We'll see..

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------

Old September 7, 1999, 01:24 PM   #6
fubsy

Im sorry to see your having problems with scatterguns, I have a familarization with roger, we also share mutual friends and untill this had been posted I hadnt know he had sold the business, I know that one of his main gunsmith is in business here out of his home and has been for some time. I also know for a while now its been hard to get quantities of products, primarily there propritary sight. It must have been just too much to continue. I hope the wilson shotgun is what you hoped for, wilsons have had an excellent reputation........best of luck to ya,,,fubsy.
Old September 7, 1999, 02:29 PM   #7
Joey

I called them about sending in a 870 last week. Was told to wait at least 2 weeks and then call back to see if everything was up and running as they were still un-packing from the move. I was told that it would take at least 12 weeks from the time they started work also.
Old September 9, 1999, 11:54 AM   #8
Rob62

Follow up on my previous posts. The Customer Svc. Rep from Wilson/Scattergun called me back as promised. He said that everything IS up and running smoothly. The problem appears to have been setting up their Parkerization tanks. Was told that my shotgun would be shipped out NLT next Wednesday. So far, I am overall happy with my dealings with Wilson/Scattergun.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------

Old September 20, 1999, 08:09 PM   #9
Rob62

Final follow up on this thread. I received my shotgun from Wilson/Scattergun today. It arrived in a white cardboard box surrounded by foam peanuts. I would have wrapped the gun in a plastic sleeve (trash bag)first as the barrel/action had peanuts in it.

I noticed some type of a "grit" in the action. I have no idea what it was but it cleaned out very easily with WD40 (PLEASE no one start flaming as to WD40 being bad for guns) The safety is very stiff to manipulate to the point it is difficult to easily switch off/on, and will be replaced with a jumbo head one. I will also cut a coil or two off of the spring. They replaced the shell follower with a standard Remington grey plastic type. This will be replaced with a hi-vis solid type. The bead was installed right into the bbl no ramp was installed as I thought it would. The stock used is a Remington marked black synthetic. Finally, the mag tube cap was replaced with a new style that has a sling swivel stud. Unfortunately this new cap does not have the detents in it for the old style bbl. I will call Wilson tomorrow and ask them to send me my old style back, as these new style just do not seem to be compatible with the old style bbls. The parkerization overall was OK.

In short I can recomend the Wilson/Scattergun shotgun re-build. The price that they charge (about $178 including return postage)is fair for the what, and the quality of work that they do.

As a note I have seen 870 Express' in fair/good condition selling for around $180-200. It may have been smarter to just pick up one of these guns and cut the bbl myself and re-install the bead (just an afterthought).

Lastly, Today I picked up a Browning (A5 style)Light Twelve, 12ga, 2.75" chamber, black synthetic stock, made in Japan, in about 98-99% condition. If someone could look this up in their Fjestead (sic)Blue Book and post the value here I would appreciate it very much. I'm also looking for a last years issue of the blue book (cause I'm too cheap to buy this years) any body have one they want to sell inexpensively.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------

Old September 22, 1999, 04:42 AM   #10
Woody

Rob 62 the eighteenth edition blue book price
FN model $375.00
FN-vent.rib $450.00
W-Invector chokes $485.00
Old September 22, 1999, 06:21 AM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'm planning on getting another 12 Gauge before this year is out. I am going to send it the the shop at GUNSITE. The VANG shop looks good - but I like what the Gunsight shop does.
I'm looking at either an 870 or 590 when the time is right...
One thing its going to get - another Folding stock like my first 590 - I hate banging the barrel getting it in and out of vehicles!

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 22, 1999, 09:13 AM   #12
Rob62

Thanks Woody,
Unfortunately I didn't do as good as I hoped to on this trade. Oh well the trap range is open today. I can't wait to see how she shoots.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
-----------------