The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 3, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Olibobwa

Just got an interesting phone call

The police department one town over just found a gun that was stolen out of my vehicle in 2005. I actually wrote about it here in 2010. Post #68 in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...20#post4019620

"It's titled "Who likes J frames"

My Post:

"I like them a lot. bought another one for myself last december and bought one for my dad about 3 weeks ago (first hand gun i ever owned was a S&W airweight that was about 25 year old which he gave me. I guess I was bout 12 or 13 at the time. Once I graduated high school that gun went everywhere with me. one night it got stolen out of my jeep. Oh man i was sick. That was several years ago. a couple of weeks ago I was shopping around for some buckshot and ended up at a gun store i hadn't been to yet. There it was beat up and banged up like the one i lost. Came home realized the shells were for 3in mag not 2 3/4. The next week I went back to trade them in and ended up buying the pistol for my father I actually heard rumors about who had stolen it and some time later got word the guy got 15 years for B&E. I don't hang out at shady places anymore)

anyway, coming back off of a tangent, I think they're great. The best choice out of anything less than or equal to their size."

I get to pick it up tomorrow
Old December 3, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
SaxonPig

I had a rifle recovered by police 200 miles away 17 years after it was stolen. Came back without a mark on it. Wish I could be so lucky with the 19 other guns that are still missing.
Old December 3, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
357 Python

I hope it is still in good shape. I also hope it doesn't have any unknown crimes on it. It might be bad news if a few months from now someone finds out that there is a bullet fired from that gun at a convenience store robbery. Make sure it is absolutely clean and it will not come back to bite you later.
Old December 3, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

gives me hope got burglarized 5 years ago, they took my first handgun a Sig P226 in 9mm...
Old December 3, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
filthy phil

I got a call about a gun in my name I didnt even buy!
evidently some dirtbag found my id (or it was when my wallet was stolen)
And used it to buy a .25. even changed the dob
Cops wanted me to go to houston to id the gun. I lived in galvez at the time.
I sure as hell didnt want to make a 100 mile round trip for a $40 pos that could possibly have been used in a crime
Old December 4, 2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Nickel Plated

Quote:
I hope it is still in good shape. I also hope it doesn't have any unknown crimes on it. It might be bad news if a few months from now someone finds out that there is a bullet fired from that gun at a convenience store robbery. Make sure it is absolutely clean and it will not come back to bite you later.
it really can't bite you int he ass. If they ask, show them the police report that it was stolen and the date when. Then the receipt from when you got it back and when. If the crime happened between when it was stolen from you and when it was returned.
Then you are not responsible for what that gun was used for.

At worst they will take the gun as evidence until the case is closed. Then return it.
Ofcourse it was run through the system when it was recovered before you being notified that it was found. If it was a hot gun, then they wouldn't be returning it to you in the first place until the case is closed.
Old December 4, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

There's a lesson here on so-called "car guns." I may not be legally responsible for what happens when a gun is stolen from my vehicle, but I really don't want to hear that it was used in a crime of violence.

There are situations in which I have no choice but to leave my gun in the car at times. For those, I have a small safe bolted the floor board under the passenger seat. Cars are frequent targets of opportunity, and finding a gun is the jackpot for a petty criminal.