The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

A question for NRA Certified Instructors

I'm a newly minted NRA Certified Instructor and plan to teach the BASIC PISTOL COURSE in my area. Do all you instructors have separate liability insurance for teaching? If so, do you get it through the NRA or have you found a different source. I realize there is some risk without it, but do you think it's a big deal to go without?

And, another question. Do you, as an instructor go armed during the class? I know the training says no live ammon in the class, but I will have a dozen or so guns for display and handling. Also, there is the range portion. I do not know these students and feel responsible for the class. Thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Major

Last edited by RetiredMajor; March 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:25 PM   #2
GuyMontag

I don't have it set up yet, but yes I will be carrying insurance on myself for the class. I am actually calling the NRA today to discuss that. I'd be happy to share what I learn.

I agree with your concerns regarding being armed, but I think the safety aspect of the class is most important. With the amount of guns that are being passed around, handled, etc, it would be inexcusable to grab your loaded firearm forgetting it's the only loaded gun and have an issue. I'm voting to stick with the NRA instructor rules of no ammo in the class.

If you distrust the class with the much hardware around, I'd suggest having a smaller class that you can make sure isn't overwhelming or get other instructors to help with the class. As an example, I am helping at a class that is at a local gun shop / range for a bit as I am also new to being an instructor. In this class, that makes the main instructor, an assistant that has been helping, and now me.

I'd be interested in sharing stories and thoughts if you want to take this offline?
Old March 3, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
oldkim

Understand your concerns but no ammo

For the class no ammo is allowed at all. That's the official word.

Insurance: carry your own via your homeowners or seperate. Do know if you teach the whole NRA course, NRA does cover the material you teach if you teach it to the full extent. If you divert from the coursework then your on your own.

Also, remember for a proper class you really need help via other instructors or aids if you are teaching a large class.

Good luck and I hope you find a good locations you can teach out of and it's all about advertising now.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old March 3, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4
RetiredMajor

Thanks for the responses. My class size will be 8-10, 10 maximum. I will have one assistant for the classroom portion and then one more for the range portion (so me plus 2 for the range). I'll bring half the students (4 or 5) to the firing line with the 3 of us working with them. Then, the other half later.

I think I have a good location, and am finalizing that now. I may get the NRA Insurance, my homeowners won't cover this, I already checked.

I'm learning and moving along. There hasn't been any such classes in my area for years.

Major
Old March 4, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
TINCUP AL

I have the NRA Instructors insurance. They have a couple of different levels of coverage. I have the one that also covers you from being sued later on down the line. It runs about 375.00 a year. I would not want to be teaching without some kind of insurance. Good luck