The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

A gun to go in cargo on a plane?

It is starting to be summer time and we tend to do a lot of traveling down to Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi this time of the year. I started thinking I need to get a gun that I can check onto the plane that I will not be too upset about it it gets stolen or damaged. I could not bare losing my Seecamps, Rohrbaugh, or to a lesser ectent my Smith j-frames.

A family member informed me that the biggest threat is not theft but damage. He checked his Colt 1911 on a flight to Ohio one time and someone opened and inspected the box (they left a little official piece of paper saying they inspected it inside the case). The bad part was when they repacked it they did not bother to pack it properly. They left the gun unwrapped and just threw the lock and extra mag back inside on top of the gun. He said by the time the gun got to him the lock/mag beating against it made a once pristine gun look like it had been drug behind a car on a gravel road.

So today I went looking for a gun I could carryn while I am out of state (have borrowed ones from my brother-n-law before but I feel funny carrying someone else's weapon). I wanted something very reliable that did not need a lot of maintenance and that I would not get at all attached to emotionally...something that I could care less if it gets a blemish and that I will not feel like I lost anything too valuable if it gets stolen.

I walked into my dealers today and he had a used-like new Glock 26 on the wall and he said he needed to get $369 for it. It looked like brand new and judging from the barrel it looked like it had hardly, if ever, been fired. It came with two extra mags (two of which have finger extensions) and the original box and paperwork. I have no idea what Glocks usualy run new or used but this seemed like a good deal to me and the G26 fit the bill perfectly because I know I will never become attached to it.

Long story short...I am now the not-so-proud owner of a functional and reliable but completely ugly Glock 26.
Old April 2, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Traitor

WildshouldhavegotawebleyAlaska ™
Old April 2, 2008, 08:26 PM   #3
svilla

I have checked guns onto planes before. My expirence has been good, I opened the case for TSA they don't even want to touch the guns. After TSA inspect they let me lock the case back up. Just be sure to read and understand TSA's rules. Print out some extra copy's in case the local TSA dosen't know thier own rules, you can let them keep a copy after you correct them.

Quote:
$369
Not bad!
Old April 2, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
karen429

There is nothing to it. You can put your locked case inside your larger clothing bag for extra protection. Just let TSA inspect and off you go. I've done it many times. Just make sure where you are landing is not somewhere where handguns will get you put in jail with no questions asked.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
noahlewis

When you check a gun on a plane it's in a locked case with one key that you maintain. Noone will be able to get in this box in the absence of you. It sounds like a story to me, or a long time ago.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:09 PM   #6
B.N.Real

"I will never get attached to it."

he-he-he-you wish.

Where's that guy that always says,"Come to the Darkside." lol.

$369 for an almost new Glock?

Shoot,you got a deal!
Old April 2, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
kristop64089

How about an XD 9sc, those are about as ugly as they get!.......

Oh, nevermind
Old April 2, 2008, 09:13 PM   #8
DonR101395

PBP,
I fly with guns all the time. I use a pelican case for a suit case and master lock pad locks. I check in a little early and wait to see if they want to open the bag other than the visual when I declare the firearms at check-in. If they want it open they page me and I go open it for them. I've never had a problem. At some airports they have a TSA inspector outside of the check-in counters and just have you take it to them. They have always let me check to make sure it's re-locked.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:15 PM   #9
ElectricHellfire

Let me say it before Glockeroo gets here...... Welcome to the Dark Side brother. LMAO

Just kidding. Congrats! ugly guns need love too..
Old April 2, 2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Officer's Match

Too bad Gaston doesn't make them in green and stainless.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:20 PM   #11
kristop64089

and for those monitoring stupid, irritating posts, should of got, a G33....oh, and EXCELLENT PRICE!
Old April 2, 2008, 09:25 PM   #12
squarepeg

I was looking at the little locks for my hard case, for general transport and saw special "TSA Approved" locks. Since you say that only you have the key, I take it you don't need the TSA locks? By the way, for those of you who don't know what these special locks are, they have a serial on them and a TSA agent can look it up to get a master key to open them for a "random check" They might only be for the outter regular lugage, but I don't know.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:29 PM   #13
DonR101395

Quote:
I was looking at the little locks for my hard case, for general transport and saw special "TSA Approved" locks. Since you say that only you have the key, I take it you don't need the TSA locks? By the way, for those of you who don't know what these special locks are, they have a serial on them and a TSA agent can look it up to get a master key to open them for a "random check" They might only be for the outter regular lugage, but I don't know.

I never use TSA locks. It kinda negates the reason for having it locked.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:33 PM   #14
David the Gnome

Playboy, you got the dates wrong, April Fools was yesterday!

Seriously though, have fun with it.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I never use TSA locks. It kinda negates the reason for having it locked
Neither did the person in my story. They cut his locks.
Quote:
When you check a gun on a plane it's in a locked case with one key that you maintain. Noone will be able to get in this box in the absence of you. It sounds like a story to me, or a long time ago.
It was actually not that long ago. They claimed the bag was misdirected at the Atlanta airport. He had flown through Atlanta to get to his final destination. He says he does not believe it was misdirected but instead some over-zealous TSA agent decided to mess with it. He found it funny that all his other bags made it fine but this one somehow did not and that they then decided the bag was "suspicious" and searched it. In the end the TSA violated their own rules and then refused to accept credit for the mistake and would not even reimburse him for damages.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:12 PM   #16
DonR101395

Quote:
Neither did the person in my story. They cut his locks.

I've never had a problem with it, but since it's against the law to ship a gun in an unlocked container the inspector would have some splainin' to do.
Federal regulations prohibit them from putting a case with missing or broken locks on an ailiner; they are also prohibited from putting it on the airline if they can not contact you to open it. Yes, I would push the issue.
Old April 3, 2008, 01:04 AM   #17
Socrates

PPP:

Want to come visit Kali and sell that gun? I'd rather have a
G39, but, everytime we ask for an accurate glock it's always a 9mm.

The gunshops around here usually want 650 for that same gun, and, I won't pay that for a POS tupperware with a horrible trigger...But, I'd pay 380.
that's what I think they are worth, or a little less...
Old April 3, 2008, 02:59 AM   #18
ThieF

So, you gonna take one of your awesome pictures of it?
Old April 3, 2008, 03:40 AM   #19
Playboypenguin

Quote:
So, you gonna take one of your awesome pictures of it?
Sure...here ya go.

Old April 3, 2008, 05:31 AM   #20
blume357

Now that is FUNNY playboy!

I'll be flying to Reno in just under two weeks and plan to check a gun for the first time... we'll see how it goes.
Old April 3, 2008, 06:05 AM   #21
Deegle

Love the pic. Good choice for a gun you will never love - far too ugly.
Old April 3, 2008, 07:13 AM   #22
Officer's Match

Quote:
Love the pic. Good choice for a gun you will never love - far too ugly.
IMO the baby glocks look like Halle Berry compared to an XD.
Old April 3, 2008, 07:19 AM   #23
Silvanus

I gotta agree with OM. Glocks are not "beautiful" (they do look good imo) but they look far better than XDs...
Old April 3, 2008, 07:48 AM   #24
MLeake

"sounds like a story"

Sorry, it's not an old wive's tale.

I'm a pilot, and a lot of my buddies are FFDO's. (I'm not because they make the program too painful... two weeks NOT PAID by the airline, then when you finish it other pilots must be notified that you are carrying and many will opt not to fly with you... then, you have the now notorious locked holster... I resigned myself to having to use the crash axe, if need dictated...)

Anyway, the reason the FFDO program changed to the stupid padlock holster is because when they first started, and were requiring the guys to CHECK THEIR FEDERALLY ISSUED PISTOLS during deadhead legs, the FFDO guns were being stolen from baggage with some frequency.

Personally, I've only checked weapons on two flights, and they made it through ok. But the locked and marked cases were packed inside regular luggage cases.

Buying an inexpensive and easily replaced gun was a good move, PBP. Good luck with your trips.

Cheers,

M
Old April 3, 2008, 10:07 AM   #25
xrocket

PBP ... Well, what does this make, three plastics in a month or so?

Kind of reminds me of Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown when the bands played "The World Turned Upside Down" as the defeated British army marched out of their battlements.

Ah ... but the price of a cheap surrender is ... forever.

Oh well, life does go on.

Good shooting.

Last edited by xrocket; April 3, 2008 at 11:05 AM.