The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Joe Rush

Pro-1000 Conversion

I have been given a Lee Pro-1000 that was set up for 45 ACP. I need to reload 9mm. I have parts ordered to convert it, (shell plate carrier, small case feeder, adjustable powder charge slide bar). Is there any tricks that would be good to know before I tear into this conversion project. Any information would be helpful since all my reloading experiance is with a RCBS Rockchucker.

Thanks
Joe
Old July 17, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Scorch

Converting the Pro1000 from 45 ACP to 9mm should take you about 10 minutes max. The shell plate carrier is held onto the arbor with an Allen-head machine screw. Make sure the turret is out of the press, loosen the Allen head screw, push the handle down about 1/2 way (raise the shell plate carrier), put a block of wood under the shell plate carrier and lift the handle (lower the shell plate carrier). The shell plate carrier will come right off. Remove the cam rod from the old shell plate carrier and put it into the hole in the new carrier from the bottom. Put the new shell plate carrier on the press arbor, push it on firmly, and tighten the Allen screw. Install the proper turret and get to loading.

Just a few tips:
* Keep the primer feed chute clean (I use cotton swabs). If you spill any powder, stop and clean out the primer feed and the crimping station.
* Remember to keep the primer feed full, the priming system is gravity-feed.
Old July 17, 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
McClintock

Yup, as Scorch said, should only take you about 10 minutes.

+1 on the "keep the primer feed clean and the tray full of primers", Scorch. I usually use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean it when (not if, but when) it gets fouled.

Here's a link I used when I first started disassembling my Pro-1000. It helped me out while I got accustomed to the process:

http://www.geocities.com/leereloadin...roautodisktips

There's a specific section on 'Changing Calibers' there that you may find useful.

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
McClintock
Old July 18, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
kostner

Pro 1000

+2 on the "keep the primer feed clean and the tray full of primers", I used graphite and pipe cleaners to mine running smoothly. The priming is the only weak link to this machine. It is much fast then the two square deals I have. The case feed works great too. Jim