The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Shell Holder Problem

I have a Lee single stage press to augement my progressive press. I use the Lee when I am reloading a dozen or so rifle rounds. It has never caused me any problems until this evening.

I am having a very difficult time getting a shell holder inserted into it. Once it is in, I need to use a hammer and punch to remove it. I have tried several different shell holders with the same results. I have look into the recess where the shell holder fits. I can not see anything out of the ordinary.

Has this happened to anyone?

Any suggestions?
Old May 2, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
dogfood

l-dog:

I have a Lee turret press, but I believe the ram set-up is the same for all non-progressives. There is a wire retainer (sort of like a wire c-clip) that snaps around the ram. It is the edge of this clip that keeps tension on the shellholder while it is the ram.

If the clip is severly bent or broken, it may be jamming up the shellholder. Theoretically, you could also have some other debris stuck inside (like a piece of spent primer that worked its way in).

You'll need to pull the shellholder back out and check the ram. A flashlight will help. And if you don't already have one, download a manual for your model from www.leeprecision.com. I think the retainer clip simply snaps off, but check the manual first.

Let us know what you find.

dogfood
Old May 2, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Could be the shellholder, too, if it's not one you have used before.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:39 PM   #4
lizziedog1

I sprayed the area with WD-40. It seems to have cured the problem. The shell holders slip in and out easily again. I guess it might have gummed up with stuff. Thanks for your help.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
MADISON

Tight Shell Holder

Tight Shell Holder...
I have a Lyman T-Mag that I could not get a shell holder installed. I took a file and filed the top of the ram off just enough to get the shell holder to work.