The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
new_camper

20 gauge choke tubes

Just got a 20 ga 870 pump and only have a modified choke for it. I plan on using it for rabbit, squirrel, home defense, and possibly turkey. I would like to get into dove and grouse hunting, but that is currently beyond my abilities I think. I would also possibly use it for groundhog/woodchuck extermination around the barn where range is limited. What choke tubes would I need for the above?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Pahoo

Trust your Modified

Quote:
What choke tubes would I need for the above?
Well, I guess I would have to ask if you really want to get caught up with switching choke tubes, in an effort to fine tune your shooting? With all that you want to do, the tube you have would give you fairly good performance, just change your shot. I would get a FULL and as a stretch, X-Full or Turkey. One good polnt, is that Rem chokes are readily available and resonable. ...

I can recall, when money was tight, that I shot everything with a Modified. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 19, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
new_camper

Changing doesn't matter to me but if modified would serve most purposes then I will just keep it in the barrel. So the rem chokes are good for extra full, that was going to be my next question but you beat me to it .

One more thing, can steel be shot through a extra full? I know lead is preferred for its density, but just in case I get in a pinch and don't have lead.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Skeet or IC for close work, Light Mod or Mod for medium work, Improved Mod or Full for distance.

Then, focus on your target, NOT the bead

"Head on the stock, eye on the rock", and keep the gun moving - success is yours
Old May 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Bake

Pattern at the distances you will be shooting at...
Old May 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
BigJimP

You cannot shoot Steel ....in any choke tighter than a Modified...or you risk damaging the barrel.
Old May 19, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
new_camper

Thanks BigJim.

In general do extra full chokes preform better than full with lead shot, or are they too tight and deform the pellets too much?
Old May 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Depends on your gun and the ammo - many will start to have more open patterns - the so-called " doughnut effect" where the core is non-existent and the pellets go wider; others can pattern very tightly.

The pattern plate is your friend in that regard
Old May 20, 2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Virginian

If the choke tube says Full - Lead or Steel, you can shoot steel safely thru it. Remington makes a Full flush tube - they were the very first to do that - in 12 gauge, and I have shot a many a steel, tungsten-iron, you-name-it thru those. Steel does generally pattern a little better than lead because it is harder, but it responds to chokes exactly the same way.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:49 AM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Steel does generally pattern a little better than lead because it is harder, but it responds to chokes exactly the same way.
Somewhat - typically, a choke that throws a Mod pattern with lead, will throw an IC pattern with steel - been this way since choke tubes and steel shot have been around
Old May 20, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
BigJimP

You have to go to a pattern board to see what you're getting for a pattern out of a specific brand of shell with a specifc load (1 oz of 8's may pattern differently than 1 1/4oz of 4's ) - with your gun - and that specific choke.

It makes no sense to me, that any company, could market one choke that says its Full with Lead or Steel .../ and expect it to perform the same ( I'm not saying they didn't do it )....I just don't believe one choke will give you that kind of performance when Steel will not compress going thru the choke in the gun the way lead will.

Most of the literature on choke usage ....will tell you that shooting Steel thru a choke tighter than Modified...(because steel will not compress going thru the choke ) could result in a barrel bulge just to the rear of the choke. In effect what they're saying is a Modified Choke is to be treated as a Full choke for Steel. Some gun mfg's like Browning will mark their Modified chokes ( as Mod for Lead / Full for Steel)...some won't .../ but that's the guideline I've always used.

Remember - back in the day - we hunted waterfowl with Lead ( before we really understood all the risks of lead shot )...and put lead in paint, asbestos in pipe and vent insulation, etc..../ now we know better..

Browning first introduced - changeable screw in chokes ( old Invector System in 1983 )...so this whole screw in choke's concept is relatively new...and that's why you still see a lot of older guns with fixed chokes.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:15 PM   #12
new_camper

Ok, so a good rule of thumb is no steel through anything tighter than modified regardless of what the choke tube is rated. Thanks
Old May 20, 2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Steel won't be a problem unless you are shooting water fowl or are in certain states (California comes to mind), where lead is restricted in some areas. Modern chokes have a longer gradual taper and will accept steel so it's not a big concern. My latest shotgun purchase was made in 64 and has a full choke so lead is contraindicated. My 20 gauges come in M, IM and F and the best all around shooter is the one with the IM choke. I use it for everything from squirrel to turkey to deer. From #7 1/2 to #4 to slugs I can't ask for a better choke for the way I shoot. Not so good with 00 but your gun may differ. Only way to tell is stick one in and try at 15, 30 and 45 yards and see how it does at normal shooting distances. It will also narrow down your shot choices when you find the one that works particularly well in your gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 22, 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
chewie146

OP, I sent you a PM. I have a turkey choke for an 870 20 gauge that you can have. It was an accidental order that I never bothered to send back. I needed the 12 gauge, and picked the wrong one on buds.
Old May 22, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
new_camper

Thanks Chewie, I sent you a pm