The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2013, 01:09 PM   #1
mjes92

Alliant Reloader #7

I'm looking for opinions on working with Alliant Reloader#7 for .223 using 55gr projectiles. To be fired from AR rifles.
I tend to avoid stick powders because of slight metering inconsistencies on my progressive. With the current powder shortage its pretty much my only choice. I prefer CFE223 and Ramshot X-terminator because they meter very well and both state "clean burning" on the bottle. Have Not seen a jug of either of my preferred powders for three months.

How clean burning is #7?
Any other pros & cons working with #7?

Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old May 7, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
rlc323

I use RX-7 in 7.62x39 with 123 grain bullets, so a lot of my experience may not apply to your .223 and 55 grains.

The first thing I noticed was more muzzle flash than cheapie Wolf ammo. It burns clean compared to the Wolf stuff but I would not exactly call it clean burning, there is some soot on the brass, but nothing outrageous.

Meters real well, within a couple tenths as a rule. Loading for an AK and a mid-range load, I am not hand weighing each charge. Checked the first few then one in 10 and good to go.

The price on it is not bad, I paid $92 bucks for the 5 pounder pre-panic. It also works in several other calibers that I load but have not yet tried.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Farmland

RL 7 is what I use for my AR. I actually got the load info from my Nosler Reloading book. I use Hornady FMJBT and Nosler ballistic 55g.

To me it is a very clean powder. I don't have a cons and it ,meters very well with my Dillon 650.

In any event I have been using RL 7 for 7 plus years in my AR. I use it with Remington small rifle bench rest primers.

Give it a try I am sure you will like it.

I just picked up two 5lb jugs for $93 each.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
mjes92

Thanks Gentelmen, that's the kind of input I was looking for.
NRA - Life Member