The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #1
JD Powell

Anyone here use the muzzeloader barrel for the mossberg 500.

Looking for some feedback on the Mossberg muzzel loader barrel conversion. Mainly wondering what they go for used? I have been researching them for a while. Planning on either buying a used one, or trading for it. I have a like new 24" smothbore "Slugster" barrel 12ga, 2 3/4 & 3". Ported barrel w/rifle sights. That I would be willing to swap.

I do understand it will require full dissasembly and cleaning to remove the BP residue. This is not a problem for me.

I also understand that it will still look like a Mossy500, so it may spark conversation with local F&G officials. This is also not a problem.

I realize for not much more money I could buy a dedicated muzzeloader. But I only intend to use this for ML hunting seasons, and space in my cabinet is already at a premium.

Were there any known model changes made to these? Did any of them come with a removable breech plug?

Any problems/defects to be aware of?

Really would like to hear thoughts/concerns from those that have this barrel.
Old January 13, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2
jrothWA

Haveing computer prolems today , after all its Friday the 13th!

Should be good for hunting, but not for match / competition.

This was my observation, I shoot a sidelock.

Last edited by jrothWA; January 13, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: using invisible font!
Old January 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
PetahW

I can't help, since my state specifically bars muzzleloaders, made from converting modern firearms via adding a muzzleloading barrel, from use for hunting.

Old January 13, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Pahoo

Ghosts of the past !!!

These were common a few years back and a friend of mine hunted with one. I don't recall that it had a removable breech plug.

Quote:
so it may spark conversation with local F&G officials.
Yes, this happened to him one time and it took a few minute to sort it out with the local DNR officer. Even at close distance, it still looked like a Mosberg 500. This one was fairly accurate. Don't know what became of them as you don't see many these days but I'm sure they are still around. Cabelas use to sell them. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #5
g.willikers

Shotgun barrels don't usually fit the receivers as tightly as rifle barrels.
If the rear sight is on the receiver, (a ghost ring, or a scope), every time the barrel is removed and replaced, the point of aim / impact might change quite a bit.
For that reason alone, a muzzle loader rifle might be a better choice.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
JD Powell

Sights are on barrel. Shots will be within 100yds. No scope needed.