The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2002, 08:26 PM   #1
dick w. holliday

New AA's hard to reload????

i understand that the new Winchester AA 12 ga hull is not as easy to reload as it's previous hull---a buddy tells me that the inside of the hull has a collar in it that goes up high enough to make seating the wad hard enough that it buckles or creates a bulge on the side of the loaded shell....we split one open length wise and sure enough the bottom of the hull which used to be one molded piece is now made up of two pieces.......Anybody else noticed this????????? Dick
Old June 5, 2002, 08:39 PM   #2
dfm

The new AA is a two piece design hence the ridge. You might be using a wad that doesn't particularly work well with the new case. WW says not to make any changes unless needed. Might just want to try another wad. Might solve the problem.

dfm
Old June 5, 2002, 09:13 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

my buddy was using either a WAA-12 or the Claybuster equivilant---if they won't work then Winchester needs to let us know.....
Old June 6, 2002, 04:18 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

I started reloading right after Winchester switched to the new hull. I gave up on AA's and went with the paper basewad Federal High Power hulls and the high capacity Remington hulls.
Old June 6, 2002, 07:54 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I just started in on some of the new two piece fake AAs. They loaded and shot ok, but take a harder pull on the handle of my MEC. I will try to isolate just where the resistance has increased and adjust for it if necessary. Mostly I will change to Remington RTS.