The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2011, 05:30 PM   #1
darkgael

Two shotguns - possible buys - reactions/advice

I was milling today. In a gunshop.
I saw and handled two shotguns new to me, though I have read a review of one.
Are these good buys? Both are older guns in very good condition.
Marlin model 43 pump gun - $225 - comes up to my eye like it was made for me.
The other is a Winchester model 59 - a very nice and very light gun. $495. Mounts nicely. I can imagine walking the upland with this gun.
I don't "need" another gun but, gosh......
Pete
Old February 18, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
zippy13

Pete, of the two, you'd probably get more use from the unique Model 59. (I thought your were looking for a trap gun.) Does it have a selection of screw-in chokes? As you know, the hi-tech barrel is unique, to say the least. The price seems high; but, our fearless moderator, Dave McC, is known to have said about the W-59, "If one turns up for sale, snatch it up….." Perhaps he has a better idea of what's the present value.
Old February 18, 2011, 08:59 PM   #3
darkgael

OK

Zippy: I am looking for a Trap gun......that's why I should stay out of gun shops.....there's always something that calls to me. There's a dilemma there.
The Trap gun is a continuing quest.....probably I'll end up with a BT-99. (though my shooting buddy did score a nice B27.) On the line the other night with my Mossberg Country Squire, I was the poor relation to the other four guys ( Two Perazzi, a K80, one Ljutic) ...and that's ok, I'm not threatened by that....just don't have that kind of cash.
This store had no...not one....Trap specific gun. They had plenty of used SGs - SXSs, singles, Pumps, semis....a single O/U and that was that.
The M59 - seems to be a nice gun. Haven't read anything really bad about it....Trap? Only the occasional round or two if I have digested the readings properly.
I read that "snatch it up" comment when I was searching.
Pete
Old February 19, 2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I wrote something about the 59 over on THR. To summarize, they make great brush guns due to the muzzle light balance and low O/A weight.

I know of several that have been "Woolnernized', made lighter and with the balance moved a bit forward that delight their owners. Think of a 12 gauge that handles like an M1 carbine. Recoil can be a bit stout, but the light loads now common are MADE for the 59.
Old February 20, 2011, 06:43 PM   #5
jackpine

more and more shotgun ranges around me are headed to steel only and most of the state hunting land is non toxic shot only so I don't buy those older shotguns anymore.