The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Morgoroth

Coyote Calls

So deer season is almost over and there is no closed season on coyotes here so I am planning on doing some coyote hunting this winter/spring.

Anyway, I need a call and I got a gift card to Dick's for $40 so I am trying to figure out which one to get. I have no experience with calls so any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the predator calls they have:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...92591&view=all

Thanks!
Old December 30, 2010, 11:00 AM   #2
PawPaw

For late winter a dying rabbit call works good. I've called in bobcat and fox to within feed of my hide. I never got a coyote to respond, but I don't know if they were in earshot.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 30, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Morgoroth

Thanks PawPaw. Is there a particular brand you like?
Old December 30, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't know if Olt is still in business; I bought one of their rabbit calls about 40 years ago, and it seems more "appealing" than any of the others I've used.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Morgoroth

Olt is still around. http://psolt.com/

But I don't think Dick's carries them.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:10 PM   #6
L_Killkenny

Three calls I recommend and all three should fit into your budget:

Johnny Stewart PC-2 Mini Predator Call - Closed reed and small but still has plenty of volume. So easy to blow you can't screw it up.

Standard Critter'R'call - Open reed so it takes a little practice but still pretty easy. 1/2 hour or so and you should be good to go. You can do anything from rabbit to coyote sounds with this. Even heard raccoon sounds done on em.

Sceery Coyote Howler - Comes with an instuctional DVD.

LK
Old December 31, 2010, 02:01 AM   #7
5RWill

I get my calls from Greg Hood he lives in my area and is the former owner of southern gamecalls, now working on Hoodwinked. I bought a predator call today went out in the blind where i saw a coyote the other day and couldn't get anything to come. Any tips on coyote calling? The call i have is very versatile, but i'm not a professional like the maker. Is there anything to vocalize? The call isn't a specific sound call, it can be many things from, fox to woodpecker to cottontail etc.

If anyone is wondering about greg or his calls here is an example of what he can do and somewhat what they sound like. It's not predator but it's still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_-jB9YAr-8

Last edited by 5RWill; December 31, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old December 31, 2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

When it comes to mouth blown calls I have several I use, some home made, some custom calls made by THO; I've had good results with all of them.
That being said, when I go out predator calling there's two I never leave the house without them in my pocket. They are my "Little Buddies" predator calls, they don't look like much but they sure call in the coyotes.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; January 1, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old January 1, 2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Morgoroth

I appreciate the replies, and I will have to check out the ones you guys suggested. But, I kind of need a suggestion from the website since I have a gift card there.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

Just a little something to think about if they don't have a good selection of calls. Maybe the gift card could be used for other items you can use while predator hunting such as camo face paint, camo face net, camo clothing, ammo, a nice cushion or small stool of some type to sit on.

The "Little Buddie" calls come two in a package. One's a cottontail the other is a jack rabbit, you should be able to buy them for about $12.00 for the package of two.

We don't have any jack rabbits in our part of the country, but I've used both calls and they sure kick butt on coyotes.

Good luck on your predator calling, it's a blast.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 1, 2011, 01:58 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

I looked at Dick's website and they don't have much on there. Are you going to order thru the web or are you going to a store? I ask because I can't imagine the calls they list are the only ones they stock on the shelves. The ones I listed are very, very common by some of the biggest names in predator calls. If Dicks don't have any of them I will be sadly disappointed and be glad we don't have them around here.

LK
Old January 1, 2011, 07:07 PM   #12
hooligan1

I used to have an Olt #22, with the mouse squeeker, it was totally bad--- on fox dude. The dying rabbit was pretty loud but the squeeker always brought in a fox, almost money , no foolin!
Old January 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Morgoroth

I looked at the store and was not totally impressed.

I got a distressed fawn call at another place that was having a good sale. So I will try that.

But I may just get ammo and a Limb saver pad then look around for some of the calls you guys mentioned.

Thanks!
Old January 19, 2011, 03:38 AM   #14
BUTCHER45

Primos Cat-Nip is a must have. Other than that, I make my own.
Old January 26, 2011, 07:31 AM   #15
Steve_in_SEMich

I recommend the Primos Catnip mouth call - easy to regulate pitch and volume. Along with a Hunters' Specialties PC-1, we've had some success getting coyotes to come in (not always close enough in the heavy woods we hunt).
Old January 26, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Daryl

Closed reed calls all use the same type voice, and they're all pretty easy to learn to use. Circe and others make decent ones, and I've used most brands.

Open reed calls are harder to master, but are more versatile once you do. For late season calling, you'll likely want a howler of some sort. Reason is, coyotes stop paying much attention to prey sounds by about early to mid-February, and get more territorial.

My best advice is to pick one that looks to be of good quality, and learn to use it. It's not the call that will get you the results, but your own calling and hunting skills.

I'm still using an old Weems Wildcall from back in the 60's. My dad used it for several years before I started, and I still use it. As back-up or alternates, I also carry an old wooden Lohman from before they teamed up with Circe, and an old plastic Circe from the same era.

For howlers, I use a buffalo horn and a cow horn howler, each made by a man I consider a master of call making. Rich Cronk may or may not still be making them, but his calls are top-notch.

Daryl
Old January 26, 2011, 03:00 PM   #17
k31

i can email you a list of sounds if you want that way you can burn it to a cd
i dont have a cd burner (i thought i did) so they arent doing much for me