The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
loganclj

comments on benelli super nova

I am considering getting a new pump and of all the research ive done i think im gona go with the super nova. Does anyone have one, or have opinions on it ?
Old April 27, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
billfrombyron

I love my super nova. Its my primary Zombie defense tool. It works well on everything else too!

To give a reference I will compare to my Rem 870 express.

PROS:

I have the Tactical model with pistol grip and the fantastic ghost ring sights. It fits me great, handles quick and shoots easier than my 870 which I also love and will never be parted with.

My Super Nova is butter smooth and flawlessly functioning. Just remember its a shucker not a shaker, USE that pump with authority you won't break it. (Just a reminder that I like to give everyone who is looking at buying a self shucker.)

My 870 is the standard express and compared to the Super Nova a plane Jane, but is a wonderful shot gun and to compare the two I have a slight preference to the Super Nova due to its sights and stock configuration.

Trigger on the Benelli is great for a shotgun, My worn in 870 has a usable trigger by comparison.

You cannot go wrong with this purchase.

CONS:

The downside is that if you want to tacticoolize it like a 870 you cannot do so as easily as aftermarket parts are hard to find and not made by many. It is however improving regularly.

It will digest any 12 gauge load that you can handle and will do it in spades. It throws a nice pattern, and with the ghost rings makes a good slug gun as well.

Try it, you will like it.

Center mass were Breneke slugs, the shots out of the black are Remington slugger.(Note I was running out of time and they were shot hurriedly. This is a flash sight picture at 50 yards) It will shoot MARKEDLY better with deliberate aiming and breneke KO 2 3/4" rifled slugs

With 00 buck you can see the spread at 20yards, and the shot pattern was with #6 and #4 game loads at 30 yards.(00 is the big holes 3 rounds 1 at 7yards, 1 at 15 and one at 20)

Not pictured is the extension tube I added, and there is a side saddle and light for it in the future.

Check out Cactus Tactical for Benelli accessories at reasonable prices.

Hope this mini review helps.

-Bill
Old April 27, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
jmr40

The Nova and Super Nova come close. I like them from a mechanical perspective. The ones I've owned and shot were dependable and tough guns. But none of that means anything if you cannot hit what you are shooting at.

I've found them to be thick, and awkward handling as a hunting shotgun. They are the heaviest of the common pump actions. As a self defense platform or a turkey gun they may be just perfect.

If I had never used anything else and were just starting out I might learn to like them just fine. They have not been out long enough to say, but they may end up being the toughest, longest lasting pump ever made
Old May 1, 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
arizona98tj

I've had a SuperNova for a few years now and have done a few write-ups during that time. They can be found at the links provided. They may provide you with a little more information.

SuperNova shotgun

Mesa Tactical side saddle

Nordic Components magazine extension

Tactical sling
Old May 1, 2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Hank15

The Supernova is one of those guns that look perfect on the commercial and on the forums.

The Supernova is well balanced and the large fiber optic front bead almost makes the gun one size fits all. Although it is polymer, it does not have that cheap handling characteristics you get with the Remington Express models or the Mossberg 500s.

However, polymer is still polymer. And the handling characteristics may not appeal to everyone. Also, the pump action is rather rough compared to other shotguns. It is not something that will loosen up with use. And the trigger is god awful by my standards.

Since you are in the Supernova price range, you may consider other shotguns such as Browning BPS, Remington Wingmaster, or one of the Ithaca 37s.

I would recommend you handle a Supernova at your local store. And if the owner permits, dry fire it and see how you like the trigger.

If you are comfortable with the pump action and the trigger, then go for it.
Old May 2, 2010, 09:11 PM   #6
arizona98tj

I haven't found a perfect gun yet....in a magazine ad, in a forum, or in person for that matter.

I've shot a SuperNova Tactical for the past couple of years. I was surprised to hear the pump action described as being rough. Perhaps I was just so accustomed to mine it was one of those things one overlooks after continued use. So, I pulled mine out of the safe, verified it was unloaded, and then held the shotgun vertical while depressing the action release. The bolt dropped and traveled two-thirds of the full stroke distance by mere gravity alone. With just a little bit of a bump start, it traveled the distance. Maybe mine is the exception? I'm not sure....but my range buddy has one also and his action seems to work equally as well last time I tried it.

The trigger....well, it's not as good as the custom one I have on one of my AR platforms. However, compared to both of the OEM triggers that my last two S&W rifles have had, I would rate it better that those. My SuperNova trigger is neither gritty nor does it exhibit the creep that the S&W factory triggers displayed. I realize triggers can certainly be different things to different people. I just wouldn't rate my SN trigger as being all that bad.

Am I a SuperNova fanboy....no, I am not. I have one....I have shot it extensively during practice and in two tactical shotgun training courses....and find it a solid performing firearm for the price. It doesn't even come close to comparing to my FNH shotgun....but then again, the price was about 40% of the FNH too.

As I said before....I haven't found a perfect gun yet....in a magazine ad, in a forum, or in person for that matter.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7
sks

Love my Super Nova

Just bought a Super Nova two months ago and love it. Have shot skeet with it and piddled at the range a bit. It handles well for me and has been reliable thus far. I only have 200 or so rounds through it thus far which I know is only beginning to break it in.

I like that after a shot the Benelli automatically just slightly releases the slide for you, making it easier to pump again. It also has the magazine override feature that some prefer (you can rack it without chambering a round).

I like that it will take from 2.5 to 3.5 shells. I've shot both through mine with no problems. Also, as it is a pump there should not be issues with cycling certain shells.

For the price it is in my opinion definitely worth the buy.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:14 AM   #8
grubbylabs

I have a Nova and the only diff is that the super came with the recoil reducer already installed. I paid an extra 50 and the guy put it in for me.

I have had my gun for about 5yrs now and I can say I have never had a problem with it that I did not cause. I even clean it once every couple of years and the thing just keeps going. I cleaned it for the first time in 3 years this winter, I was out duck hunting at -3 when the action got a little stiff, so when I got home I cleaned it up some. I can bang 3 1/2 shells in the thing all day and not have a problem. I took a duck at 40 or 50 yards this year so I guess it shoots good enough. Bottom line for me is this, it goes bang and what ever I have a bead on falls out of the air. I have probably put a few thousand rounds through it. Good gun will hold up and take any abuse you can dish out.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 3, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
sks

grubbylabs is right, the Super Nova comes with the special stock while the Nova doesn't. Generally about $80-100 difference but I've shot some 3.5 shells with no problem. Also, the Super Nova has the enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves and the Nova has the regular size. Might be an issue for some.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:33 PM   #10
liberty1743

Great gun

I have a SuperNova and like it. I bought a right-handed one, however, but I shoot lefty. I bought a couple of extra barrels for my Browning BPS and now use it instead. It's only a 3" but that's all I need. I'm probably going to sell my SuperNova. I've put less than 200 rounds through it. It's a great gun, but I like the bottom eject of the BPS.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:30 AM   #11
mathman

I have a Super Nova with the 18" barrel and rifle sights (slug gun). I like how it shoots and it is absolutely bullet proof, but I don't like how thick it is...and polymer is polymer as previously stated...and although I don't mind that polymer feel in a pistol, I don't like it in a shotgun. Go figure I guess...

I'm actually looking to sell it.

To be fair, I've gotten so used to Benelli semi-autos that I don't know that any pump will feel right to me now.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:57 AM   #12
publius

i have one and although a good shotgun I find it bulky and somewhat awkward. My 870 is quick and fits perfectly, plus I have complete confidence in 870's.