The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Need Reloading Data for 7.5x55 swiss

Hello,
After searching for a while and sifting through the heaping piles of bad and incomplete data, I have failed to find the remaining reloading data I need for this cartridge. The data I have so far is as follows:

168 grain Hornady BTHP
.284 Winchester Cases (Sized to 7.5 and trimmed to 2.180)
Winchester WLR Primers
IMR 4064/IMR 4895 (haven't decided on which to use, would like measurements for both, please [please don't give a powder measurement unless the reloading data specifies it as IMR and not Accurate or some other brand])
Cannot nail down an OAL, a GP11 round measured out to 3.043, but that is too long for the bullet I'm using.

That's about it, cases have been deprimed/resized in a Lee Full Length Sizing Die. The bullets will be seated in a Lee die as well. Thank you for any information you can provide.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 09:02 AM   #2
ligonierbill

Well, Hornady lists a max load of IMR-4064 at 43.2 gr for 2,600. They don't list IMR-4895. I loaded 165 Hornady Interlocks over 51.4 IMR-4350 (also Hornady max) a few years ago and got 2,539 avg out of a K-31. I am getting ready to try some Speer 150 HotCor over IMR-4320.

A couple of notes:

Hornady tested in a 1896/11 and noted a concern about unsupported case heads in the 1911. This is not an issue with a K-31, but their loads are pretty conservative. Look at a few sites on-line, and you'll see this.

Watch out on COAL! The profile of the GP-11 round is long and pointy. After testing a dummy round in my K-31, I'm loading those Speers to 2.85.

If you look around, you can find new cases. I got some from Graf's a couple months ago.

Good luck. Wonderful rifle.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
chiefr

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
Also agree on COL difference. COL is different between K31 & 96/11.
I load to the "starting" loads and stay there on the 96/11.

Also have dedicated reloads for every Swiss rifle. The K31 action is much stronger. I have no reason to approach max loads.

PPU brass is around and still manufactured. It is great stuff and beats forming.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

I got 100 .284 winchester cases that are easily sized and reformed along with a full length die set for $58. It seemed like a better deal than getting 100 PPU cases for $51. Needless to say I won't need to buy any PPU cases anytime soon, as my dad already uses .284 win brass for his 6.5/284 and It's pretty abundant around here.

As for OAL, what would it be for Hornady's 168 grain BTHP? Is there a minimum load for IMR 4064 with that bullet listed? A trim length of 2.180 would be good? And 2.175 as a minimum?

Also, I don't have a 96/11. Just a K-31.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 10:57 AM   #5
ligonierbill

Hornady lumps their 168 in with 165's - same max. Regards COAL, I suggest you make a dummy round and test it in yours. Just load an unprimed case to the spec max, soot the bullet with a candle, and do a gentle plunk test in your rifle. Keep setting the bullet further in until you're off the lands. When you think it's right, chamber the dummy and close the action just to be sure.
Old July 31, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

Is there a video you can recommend on this process?

And as for the dummy round, after I get the COAL I want, I can just put it in the shell holder, pull the lever all the way down, and run the die in until the bullet contacts the seater snug? Also, would I have to put a crimp on it? I'm not sure if my seating die crimps or not.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 02:30 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Just run your seat die down to the tip of your dummy round, tighten it in, good to go.

For H4895, your starting load for a 168 grain jacket is 39.0 grains. Max is 41.0 grains, so just stay at the start point, or down to 37.0 grains for recoil. With that powder you should be miking OAL at 3.060 per the books, but K31s have a short runup to the lands, I'm using 2.950 for my 1947 K31, you will want to check yours as mentioned by using soot or lampblack around the bullet to see where it sits in the chamber.

I'm guessing you're getting a lot of reload data from the net, if you don't have a manual, you need to get one.

The Lee manual is pretty good, and includes the 7.5 Swiss and 7.62 Russian.

Last edited by kilimanjaro; July 31, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old July 31, 2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

Okay, thank you for your assistance.

Also, you said H4895, is that the same as IMR?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 03:14 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

You're catching me in between edits ! Had to check my reload notebook for my OAL.

IMR and Hodgon are the same powder, IMR was bought out by Hodgon, hence the two names.

Modern H4895 is a little hotter than the older IMR, so you can drop a grain or grain and a half from a .30 caliber rifle load and no worries.

I use the load data interchangeably, myself, unless min-max is really tight, then I drop the grain so as not to push it. I'm one of those folks who uses the minimums as a rule, I'm shooting 75-year-old rifles, or older, and I'm not going to stress them too much. Not to mention, the additional pressure vs. velocity gained is so disproportionate as to be not worth it, to me.

The soot test just transfers a mark from your bullet ogive to the chamber, you see where that lies in relation to the lands. Put some tape around the bullet, smear some lampblack on the bullet, pull the tape for a clean line, and chamber the round. Then visually see where the soot ends in the chamber, and where the lands begin. You want to be 0.015" back of the lands, maybe 0.020". Change your seat depth as required, until you get there. Then mike the OAL of your custom round, WRITE IT DOWN in your loading notebook, and set your seat die with the dummy.
Old July 31, 2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
The soot test just transfers a mark from your bullet ogive to the chamber, you see where that lies in relation to the lands. Put some tape around the bullet, smear some lampblack on the bullet, pull the tape for a clean line, and chamber the round. Then visually see where the soot ends in the chamber, and where the lands begin. You want to be 0.015" back of the lands, maybe 0.020". Change your seat depth as required, until you get there. Then mike the OAL of your custom round, WRITE IT DOWN in your loading notebook, and set your seat die with the dummy.
Okay. So, no offence, but that just confused the heck out of me.

Is there a simpler way to get the same result? I've heard about a plunk test? What is that?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 04:37 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

Never done a plunk test, couldn't tell you. If it's just pushing a sooted bullet into the lands, no cartridge, could be lots of room for error. Let us know what you find out about it.
Old July 31, 2014, 04:55 PM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

From what I've seen, bits taking a dummy round and dropping b into the chamber. And if it plunks and chambers without effort, the OAL is good. Atleast, that's what I've gathered.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Mosin-Marauder

Okay, so, as I said, the guy that sent me the brass and dies also included about 15 loaded rounds. The original rounds were 2.890. I got my seating die out just so see if I could make one chamber any better. I made contact with the bullet, made it snug, backed out the round, and turned the die 1/4 of a turn more. I pushed the bullet in approximately .020 more and they it chambered great. The OAL of that cartridge was 2.870. I'm going to ask the fellow what bullets he used and see if I can get a few more of them. Hopefully they're fairly common. Also, there's nothing wrong with using this as an OAL is there? And lastly, would the OAL need to change if I got a different brand bullet with a different brand bullet with the same grainage? Just in case they're not common? Thanks in advance.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 07:10 PM   #14
kilimanjaro

I'm at 2.950, so you're not far off if any. Talk to him, did he set the OAL for a K31? If so, might be just fine, set it and forget it.

You don't want them too short, I'm leery of the Plunk Test in that regard. Take one of those rounds and run some soot on the bullet, chamber it. If you see the rifling in the soot, you're too long, if none, either just right or too short.

The OAL is good for the rifle chamber, once you get that, you're good to go. You set your bullets to the depth required to meet the OAL spec.

Unless you're switching from Spitzer to Round Nose, your bullet lengths should remain generally the same between makers for the same weight.
Old July 31, 2014, 07:17 PM   #15
Clark

7.5mm Swiss, K-31, 284 brass sized with Lee die, CCI200

1) 168 gr Sierra .308 Match King

a) 42 gr IMR4895 ok, kinda wimpy
b) 45.5 gr IMR4895, ok, primer starting too flatten, 4" group open
sights

I never made a scope mount for it, and with my bad eyes, never took those Swiss rifles back to the range.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 31, 2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Mosin-Marauder

Never mind, I put sharpie on one of the 2.870 cartridge and no rifling were visible. Also, does not matter if the seating depth is off by 1-3 thousandths in either direction?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; July 31, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:52 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

0.001" to 0.003" is not going to be a concern.

Just make sure that's not 0.100" to 0.300".
Old August 1, 2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Mosin-Marauder

Okay, I found out the bullet he was using. I put a loaded round on the scale, subtracted the powder charge, put a primed/resized case on the scale, subtracted it's weight and got a 149/150 grain bullet weight. I compared it to some other bullets and it turned out to be a Hornady 150 grain FMJ with a cantelure. I have to say, this reloading stuff is fun. Next step is to get some bullets and trim some cases.

Also, kilamanjaro, what would be too much over/ under OAL? Just to make sure. Because last night I had some that when I put them in the first time they seated to like 2.880 and I had to put them back in. What could be causing this?

Thanks again.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 1, 2014, 10:32 PM   #19
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Marauder
Okay, thank you for your assistance.

Also, you said H4895, is that the same as IMR?
No. H4895 and IMR4895 are different formulations made by two different companies. Their load data is NOT interchangeable.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/7555swiss.htm
Old August 3, 2014, 12:01 PM   #20
lonniemike

No, there are minor differences and were made by different companies once. A grain or two might by critical when sticking a bullet in the barrel or bursting something other than a cap. Reloading is an experiment. Load low and work up and be safe.

Totaldla, Did you notice that the RealGuns Swiss data is showing a K-31 using 180 grain bullets generaly running about 100 fps faster than GP11? Gp11 with the 174 grained projectile is running about 2550fps out of a K-31, according to the Swiss.
The US and NATO both use a(.308) 175 bullet that travels at 2550fps from a 26 inch barrel. 7.5X55, 308Win, and 7.62X51 All very similar ballistic twins!!!
Best
Old August 3, 2014, 12:11 PM   #21
lonniemike

Mosin, You might benefit from some time exploring around at SwissRifles.com There is plenty to sift. I reread your early post. Did you cycle and chamber your brass in your action(s) to ensure function before you loaded the 284 brass? OAL isn't the only thing that can hang up people. Maybe this helps.Best
Old August 3, 2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Mosin-Marauder

Thank you for all the advice, everyone.

I've come along way from when I didn't know anything (if that makes any sense).
I've got a load worked up and plan to shoot them ASAP. They chamber fine and the OAL is not too short as far as I know, and I know they're not too long. Thanks again.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 09:48 PM   #23
kilimanjaro

Shoot your shots.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:22 AM   #24
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonniemike

No, there are minor differences and were made by different companies once.
WRONG. Not even close. Go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

Get educated before dispensing "advice" on a forum.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:15 PM   #25
lonniemike

totalda, The only difference from your post and mine is that you say absolutely do not interchange Hogdon and IMR 4895 data. And I still say they are very close and only matter at the extremes. So educate me more about how much different IMR and H 4895 are. I don't think there is usually more than a couple of grains difference with any load that I've ever seen listed. We are talking about experimenting from a lowpoint and working up safely for an accurate load, and not swapping max loads between say 46grains or more of 4895.Best