The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2014, 08:01 AM   #1
rdtompki

Reloading reman cases

I've decided to get into reloading for our 9mm and 40 cal handguns so I've begun saving cases. We generally shoot Freedom Munitions new (9mm) or reman (40 cal) ammo at the range. I understand in these calibers the cases can be reloaded quite a number of times, but should I avoid saving the reman cases not knowing their history?

I've got a number of questions of course, but most of the answers will already exist somewhere in the interweb.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:05 AM   #2
spacecoast

If they aren't split and they ran through fine the first time, there is no reason not to reload them.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:37 AM   #3
jtmckinney

I don't do 9mm but I use lots of range pickup 40S&W which has even a more sketchy history. If everything looks good it probably is, it has already withstood the pressures of being fired at least twice. If you are reloading on a single stage or turrent press pay attention to the effort needed to seat the bullet. If one is much easier than the others then it should get extra inspection before firing.

Hope this helps.
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old August 5, 2014, 10:04 AM   #4
mikld

The key is inspection. I have given up on trying to keep count of my semi-auto case reloadings. I have mebbe 1,000 9mm cases and know the history on only 200 of them (from factory ammo I bought, the rest are range pickups and purchased "once fired" brass). But I inspect every case I reload. I've been reloading for a long time and made it a priority/habit to look at each and every case I reload, from my .380 to .44 Magnum, and .223 to 30-06...

Inspect them, re-stuff 'em, shoot 'em

BTW; the cases aren't re-manufactured, they are just refilled...

Last edited by mikld; August 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old August 5, 2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The general rule is that you will lose handgun cases before they ever "break". Most folks don't bother to count reloads with handgun brass. It just doesn't matter. Inspect and destroy if cracked. Otherwise, load until the grass monster eats them.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:46 PM   #6
G_P

I reload handgun cases until they split or the primer pockets get so loose they wont hold a primer anymore.

Most of what I load is range pickup so I have no idea if its once fired when I get it or 10x fired.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:54 AM   #7
skizzums

Yes, just watch for the mouth splitting when you seat the bullet. I can say most of my 9mmm is on 4-5 loads and have only had this happen to 5 cases, usually due to me stuffing oversized lead bullets into them. You'll be good, especially with 9mm/38spl cases
Old August 8, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8
g.willikers

Like the others have said, for most handgun rounds, use 'em 'till you lose 'em.
Or they show obvious signs of expiration.
Of course, some cases last longer than others, depending on the pressure of the loads and such.
So, range donations are perfectly acceptable, especially since the fact that they are there, just laying on the ground, might be good evidence that they've never been reloaded before.
No respectable reloader would walk away from their brass.