The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

My Grant Cunningham Carry Gun Shall Never Be

A few years ago I just happened, by chance, to get on Grant Cunningham's list for some custom work. I had a 1974 Colt Detective special that I had picked up for $320 at Bass Pro that I had elected to be the recipient of the work. I was going to have him bob the hammer, work over the trigger, refinish it and add a gold bead front sight if possible.

Well, things kind of got messed up with his scheduling due to a computer glitch. I received a couple of emails explaining the situation and that things were running a bit behind due to this and he would let folks know when there turn came.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the extra money to do this any more, so, I sold the Detective Special this weak so I wouldn't be tempted to pay for the work with a credit card.

I was really looking forward to this as I have never had any custom work done, but this dang economy has me going backwards instead of forwards.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
drail

Mr. Cunningham is a very good smith but he simply cannot keep up with the demand and besides, there are plenty of good revolversmiths around besides him. I also feel he is a little overpriced for some work. One thing to remember is that the number of smiths who are truly qualified to work on Colt revolvers are becoming rarer every day. Most of them are either retired in an old folks home or are dead. If you must have a tweaked out Colt it's going to cost you and you'll probably get to wait a long time for it. A Colt revolver is an entirely different machine than a S&W.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

Well, as of this week I'm strictly a S&W revolver guy. I've only had three Colt revolvers, but I sold the last of them this week.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
orionengnr

Well, you can get one of your S&Ws done by Hamilton Bowen.

I bought an M-25 (4", 45LC) with work done by Hamilton Bowen. I think I got it for a reasonable price. It was a beautiful revolver with beautiful action. Trouble was, it was too dang pretty and too valuable to carry. I shot it a few times, but couldn't bear the thought of putting holster wear or a scratch on it.

So I ended up selling it about two years ago.
Talked with the new owner recently. I don't think he's shot it yet. Told him if he ever gets tired of it...Will I never learn?

In the meantime, I bought a used M25-13 with the ILS removed by the previous owner--price was right, too. This one, I can carry without guilt.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:14 AM   #5
seeker_two

Too bad you sold your DS.....a phone call to Cylinder & Slide might have made you a happy camper. IIRC, they also do great work on Colts.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Joe_Pike

It's all good. It all boiled down to not needing to spend the money. And, I know that C&S is not inexpensive either for their custom work.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
saltydog452

It was me that rec'd the M25 from orionengr.

Sorry about the need to cut loose the DS. Stuff happens. Somewhere out there is a happy owner of a .44Spcl New Frontier that used to be mine.

My bride has a Colt Cobra. Other than possibily installing a Hammer Shroud, there is nothing that need be, or should be, done to it. With the addition of Birami Hip-Grip and Tyler adapter, it can be carried on body in unconventional locations w/o leather.

Bad things can happen to good people.

salty