The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 6, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
JohnH1963

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a 4-6 cell Maglite/pistol?

In the distant past, officers and other folks used a large 4-6 cell Maglite when drawing in a low light scenario. The Maglite is a durable flashlight that is much brighter then a conventional flashlight and can blind the attacker. However, the primary purpose of the Maglite was as a weapon in the event the pistol could not be used or lets say 2-3 bullets did not stop and you needed something to hit the charging attacker with...Today, I see people going with the smaller Surefire lights. I do not doubt these lights are bright, but do not have the same intimidating or self-defensive effect as the large Maglite. As well, Mag produces Xenon bulbs for their lights which increase the brightness and there are aftermarket LED bulbs which really pump up the light output. Im certain, the regular bulb in the Mag is plenty enough to blind someone though.

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a large Maglite? If you were to use a Maglite, which configuration would you get and why? 4 C cells? 3 D cells? 6 D cells? What tactics can be used with the Maglites and what materials are out there? Why go with a Surefire light?

I have a 6 D cell Maglite that I use on rare occasion when I need to go look in a dark area of my house for something and I also have another one for my car. They are great all around lights. I like to use them mainly because of the light, but in the event someone sneaks out of nowhere then I have something...
Old April 7, 2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Dwight55

I may be wrong, John, but I could be convinced easily that the 6 cell mag light was a star wars answer to the city council nerds getting all huffy over their LEO's carrying night sticks.

I do know that this IS THE CASE in at least one instance a few years back in central Ohio. The guy carried a 6 cell, . . . day, night, evening, . . . and I sometimes wonder if he didn't have an IWB for it when he was undercover.

I have a couple of the small AA cell mag lights, a 3 D cell and a 6 D cell. I actually use my yellow cased 2 D cell if I need a simple flashlight at night. The others were "impulse buys" and once I got to training with them, . . . nahhhh, . . . not for me. The little ones are very convenient though.

I saw a 300+ lumen light advertised some time back, . . . would love to have one of them, . . . about $200.

The smaller lights have some serious hoods around the bulb that would make a definite impression on someone's skull or face if held and used in a stabbing motion.

Anyway, . . . just my take on it all.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 7, 2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Mannlicher

6 cell or rechargeable MagLIte is heavy and bulky. Thats the down side.

Up side is that it makes a great club

Pretty simple when you analyze it like that. If all you need is light, there are smaller, lighter options.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 7, 2010, 08:07 AM   #4
JohnH1963

I like the 6 cell because its about the size of a shortened baseball bat (20 inches), but much heavier. If you carry it in your vehicle, then you can articulate in court as to why you carry it around. Its a bright light that comes in handy when stranded on the side of the road. It looks better to a jury then a sawed off baseball bat. If you are carrying around a bat in your car or in your home, then it looks like you are a hoodlum. The large maglite is a flashlight and, to males, appears as a friendly useful gadget. When you think of "baseball bat", you think gangs or street fighting. The bat or night stick serves no other purpose but to wound people where as the Maglite is a friendly instrument used for illumination. The jury will more likely be kinder to you when you use the Maglite in defense of yourself rather then the sawed off slugger...

However, handling the 20 inch 6 cell mag and the pistol at the same time proves to be challenging. The 3-4 cell C models seem to provide a good amount of light, provide good secondary protection and can be handled more effectively. If I had to choose which light to be stranded with on the side of the road, then it would definately be the 6 cell D model. If I was in my own house and confronting someone then I say go with the 4 cell C model. The 4 Cell with the Mag-Star Xenon bulb provides 2-3 times the illumination of a regular 2 cell from the hardware store so I am not worried about the brightness...

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures, links or manuals on the techniques of handling a maglite and pistol at the same time.

Last edited by JohnH1963; April 7, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

I read a study once that the most widely used weapon by the law was the mag lite. Might be different now - it was about 10 years ago.

Bop!
Old April 7, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Ian0351

I like the 3D, more as a defensive weapon. Also a much more manageable size for a nightstand or a car, not to mention carrying around on a duty belt.
You can certainly still put a pretty good whomp down with a 3 or 4D if you're doin' it right.

Semper Fidelis
Old April 7, 2010, 09:35 PM   #7
ProjectCamaro

I can't speak for other departments but for myself I carry a Pelican: M7 flashlight on my belt, a small two double A flashlight in my cargo pocket and my maglight normally stays in my utility bag in my sqaud car. The maglight only comes out if I'm going to be outside in the dark for a long period of time or when doing a traffic stop at night. Most of the officers in my department feel the same way, those lights are just to large and to heavy to carry around everywhere. Try chasing someone with that thing knocking against your thigh with every step.
That said it is a great weapon if and when you are forced to use it as such. I prefer to use my baton as it has a larger reach and I can strike the person fighting with much higher accuracy but in a pinch the maglight is more that strong enough to bring an atacker down very fast.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I used to work at the Houston airport, and the cops there carried Maglite 5C flashlights instead of night sticks. I bought me one; still have it 30+ years later. The 5C is about the perfect size (for making an impression) but I'm not sure if Mag still makes em
Old April 8, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
JohnH1963

So which model does everyone feel is the best for having the pistol in one hand and maglight in the other? What techniques are used when carrying in this manner?

Like I said, the 6D seems more like a shortened baseball bat then a flashlight. I wouldnt mind having it in an emergency situation, but it may be too big for pistol/flashlight routines...
Old April 8, 2010, 03:17 PM   #10
raimius

For most people, it would look a little odd to have one with them on a daily basis. If your daily attire does not include a tool belt or a duty belt, people might stare...

The idea of running with a 3-6 cell Maglite isn't exactly pleasant either.

For most people, something along the lines of a Mini Maglite or a surfire is much more practical.

(I have a 3D Maglite in my car, but I can carry a Surefire G2 on my belt. They are fairly similar in capability, for my uses.)
Old April 8, 2010, 03:26 PM   #11
qcpunk

I keep a 5D Maglight in my truck at all times. Used mostly if I just need casual light in the dark for extended periods of time. Say, towing somebody out of the sand, camping, or roadside emergencies. I find that the 5D has plenty of light output and has a long battery life.

When I go out at night I carry a Surefire 6P Defender. VERY bright, and has a blinding effect if you were to shine it in somebody's eyes. However, the battery life is rather short, even with 2 CR123 batteries. I accept that as the trade off between extreme output and battery life.

If I were in a situation in which I needed a flashlight and firearm at the same time, I definately turn to the Surefire. I have practiced with both in camping scenarios with my pistols, and the Maglight is just too heavy and cumbersome while trying to aim and fire my pistols.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 8, 2010, 03:56 PM   #12
JohnH1963

Of course I am not going to be running around town carrying a long Maglite wherever I go. I mean in the context of home defense. Your pistol is the primary tool, but the maglite is the secondary. Some of us live in remote places while others may live in a more urban setting. Whatever the setting, its nice to have a long bat-like tool that serves a dual purpose like the maglite to backup the pistol. Sometimes we have to go outside our homes and get something in the dark, but carrying the pistol outside may not be appropriate. So the utilization of the maglite is nice for the dual purpose of illumination and self defense in the event a stranger were to walk up behind you in the dark.

Also another use is for the car. Lets say you get stuck on the side of the road. Its nice to have a long maglite with you for both illumination and personal security. Who knows who might pull up and try to "help" or lets say you get a flat in a neighborhood that is not too friendly...nice to have a long maglite in the car

For general emergency situations, its nice to have a multi-cell maglite because it is very durable and on full batteries with a regular bulb can run for 10 hours straight...
Old April 8, 2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Glenn Dee

In the distant past?... Was it that long ago?... LOL Anyway, I am from the mag-lite equiped police generation. First a few things... One avoids running. If you have to run... your doing it wrong. If you must run with a mag-lite, you dont leave it on your belt, or pocket. You hold it like you would a baton in a relay race... It actually helps you giddy-up n go. As far as using it as a weapon... First of all... you shouldnt be in a fight. If your fighting... your doing something wrong. But if you MUST fight... The mag-light was used as a defensive weapon only. Yep... it works that good.

At the end of the day... It's a flashlight. Good for finding lost coins, lost keys, lost kids, lost minds, and other such things.

We wore them opposite the firearm as a counterweight. Made the duty belt a little more comfortable. But back then we were naked compared to the Bat-utility belt's I see todays officers wearing.

I personally recomend that everyone keep a well maintained mag-light in their automobile.

Enough of my meanderings, and reminicing.

Glenn Dee
Old April 10, 2010, 01:02 AM   #14
Bill DeShivs

With today's LED lights, the Mag Light is a dinosaur as far as light output. My single AA Delight puts out far more light than a 3 D cell Mag. My 3 AAA Delight surpasses all of them as far as output-even the Surefires.
But, I do have a 3 C Maglight in my car in case I need a club.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:20 AM   #15
sylathnie

I use a modified mag 3D light for things that go bump outside. It comes on at about 60-100 lumens (much brighter than a standard mag) but if I press and hold the button it jumps to about 4000. The little lights just don't have the power and the throw that you can fit in a big package. I also like the side switch when using the light outdoors. It's just easier to carry for long durations.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Dwight55

Quote:
I use a modified mag 3D light for things that go bump outside. It comes on at about 60-100 lumens (much brighter than a standard mag) but if I press and hold the button it jumps to about 4000. The little lights just don't have the power and the throw that you can fit in a big package. I also like the side switch when using the light outdoors. It's just easier to carry for long durations.
Sylathne, did you do the mods or did you buy it that way? I'd sure love to have one like that to light up my 10 acres when the night goes bump.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 10, 2010, 11:54 AM   #17
sylathnie

It is heavily modified:
3D Mag (Red)
Borofloat glass lens
Light orange peel textured metal reflector. (No cam)
Osram 62138 12V 100W bulb with axial filament (better throw from an axial filament).
AlanB Programmable hotwire driver. Running custom firmware that I personally coded for ease of use under stress.
LuxLuthor 15.6V 13 Cell NiMh battery pack.

It has a great balance between crazy bright, longer runtimes at the lower levels, and the nice hefty 3D package that would certainly be acceptable to thump someone with if required.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:01 PM   #18
JohnH1963

The original Police flashlights were the garden variety ones that you can find at any hardware store. They did not provide much light, cheap and poorly constructed. Good for when the power goes out in your home, but bad for getting tactical.

Originally, police would have the cheap flashlight in one hand and if anything took place then they could not react with enough force to counter the threat. For example, going into a dark house or into a warehouse. Lets say someone was waiting for them in the dark corner. With a lightweight flashlight you could not put up a proper defense...however, with a heavier baton like light then you could put up a proper defense. Then there was another issue of durability. Lets say you depend upon your flashlight. If the flashlight slips and drops to the ground, then it might break and now what do you do?

The solution in 1960s was the baton-like flashlight by Kel-Lite. This flashlight was demonstrated by salesmen of the product by hammering nails into wood while the light was operating, throwing the light across the concrete sidewalk as far as it could go and dropping it into an aquarium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Lite

There are plenty of LED flashlights out there that are both lighter and have better output then anything that MAG sells. However, a small lightweight flashlight does not solve my defensive needs. Im not out patrolling around the neighborhood, but at times I do need to go outside around my household and there might be a time when I am out in my car. In those situations, I prefer to carry the Maglite 6D flashlight with Xenon bulb. That is plenty bright to meet my illumination and self-defensive needs.

I found some upgrade LED bulbs for the MAGs. This one provides 600 lumens (a 6D Mag with XENON bulb or Magcharger provides about 240 lumens):

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300m-ex.html

I also found a light that is 17 inches long and has the LEDs:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-90-Heavy...f=pd_sim_hi_10

I have not tried, but can I really throw my maglite across the concrete or dump it in a fishbowl and have it still work? I am not going to try just want to know. I also wonder how the police will get along without a baton like flashlight like the mag. The problem back in the 60s before the Kel-Lite was self defense. In a low light environment, they needed to be postured appropriately in low light environments should someone jump out of nowhere. You can't maintain a good defensive posture while holding a cheap flashlight. I think once there are a few incidents where police are overpowered holding the small lightweight led lights then they will go back to the Mags. The Mag seems like this evil baton-like device slammed in the media until you actually need it for self-defense then its a useful serious tool that demands respect.

Last edited by JohnH1963; April 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:28 PM   #19
JohnH1963

I thought I might add this link to this thread...something I found:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...chart_manu.htm

This person has reviewed a lot of led flashlights and regular flashlights. The Magcharger has a throw of "173" where as the majority of led lights do not seem to be nearly as much. In fact, I only found one LED light on his list of maybe 100 reviews which had a throw of greater then 100.

I am assuming that led lights probably make good area lights and have more light then an incan bulb, but are probably not very good as search lights where you need a beam of light that really throws.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:47 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Not so. Delights will out-beam any Maglight, except the extremely expensive heavily modified models. They also have adjustable focus for floodlight mode.
They are brighter than the LED Surefires.
But, they are simple flashlights, not batons or waterproof weapon-mount lights.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:10 AM   #21
sylathnie

That page, although wonderfully useful and well done, is fairly out of date. Flashlight technology has come a long way in the last few years. Although it is interesting that a light that throws will is also uniquely suited for up close and personal engagements.

If you are truly interested in flashlights themselves rather than simply the defensive/offensive capabilities of a light head over to www.candlepowerforums.com. Those folks will be willing to debate how bright and how far all day long.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:13 AM   #22
Blue Steel

I've been in public safety since 1995, and my earliest training cautioned us to use the flashlight only as a weapon of last resort. The days of hitting people with large metal flashlights (especially hitting them in the head) are behind us.

I think initially these lights were popular because of battery life, brightness, and durability. The fact that officers often have their flashlight in their hand lends itself to the lights use as an impact weapon. As technology improved, officers have enjoyed smaller, lighter, brighter flashlights with better battery life. The loss of a "last resort" impact weapon that was demonized by civil lawsuits was not much of a trade.

I personally would prefer a weapon mounted light, used in conjunction with a hand held SureFire or Streamlight.

Here is an interesting article about the use of flashlights by police:

Excessive Use of Force - The Evil Flashlight
Old April 11, 2010, 10:20 AM   #23
ZeSpectre

Quote:
The Maglite is a durable flashlight that is much brighter then a conventional flashlight
Wow, not anymore. The Maglight is still a decent and inexpensive light, but they live at the low end of the light-output spectrum these days (unless you are comparing them to the $5 crap at the drug store or whatever).

Have a look at the stuff available at Brightguy http://www.brightguy.com/
or the Fenix line of lights http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp

Or if you have the money....the old standby of Surefire http://www.surefire.com/
Old April 13, 2010, 09:48 AM   #24
Greg

Quote:
I have not tried, but can I really throw my maglite across the concrete or dump it in a fishbowl and have it still work? I am not going to try just want to know.
Buy the maglight and relax. After following this thread I have come to the conclusion that you are making yourself miserable obsessing over a flashlight. No offense intended, just re-read your posts...it's a flashlight for goodness sakes.
Old April 14, 2010, 11:58 AM   #25
JohnH1963

I was looking at my Maglite and thinking how I would improve the product if I had the authority. Here are my suggestions:

- Make a 7D model to give the unit a full nightstick-like 22 inches and to make it just a little bit brighter.

- Make the body of the unit a little bit thicker so it makes a better handle for fighting.

- Enlarge the head and optimize it for illumination

- Re-make the switch for 3 illumination levels.

- Optimize the bulb. Maybe include a combo led/incand light. The led for low illumination / low power occasions. Need more candlepower...

- Optimize the end of the maglite. I suggest a pointed end to have the ability to penetrate objects like windows.

- Do not make the head round to prevent it from rolling.

- Weight the business end so it makes for a better striking tool...