The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 12, 2013, 07:38 AM   #26
ChaperallCat

the deal is easy. its a go from home to work, to store, to home again kind of car. its not fancy but it gets you around.

there is no big club, you wont find 130 dollar books on the amazon shelf devoted to the history of Charter like you will for colt or sw. youll never have to pay an extra 3-400 dollars just because it says colt or sw, or was made in a particular year or decade.

its the hi point of revolvers, as long as you treat it well, keep it loaded, it shoots.
Old July 12, 2013, 09:59 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

I saw a 38 SPL snubby do just fine in a two day revolver class.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:15 PM   #28
psyfly

I've never had a bothersome problem/malfunction with any I've ever had and I've owned eight or ten (I've given most of them away over the years to friends and family; a definite plus for their relatively low cost).

My bulldog is a frequent carry. Here in a Don Hume slide at about the 4:00 position, easy carry, easy conceal. BTW, the .44 Bulldog at a bit less than 22 oz. loaded weighs less than 4 oz. more than the .38 undercover.

I like mine.

Will
Old August 3, 2013, 11:00 AM   #29
cwmoss

Just received my new Bulldog yesterday. I will be going out this afternoon and running some mild reloads thru it. From my first impression, it will be a very nice carry gun. It's fit and finish are nice for what it costs. Timing is dead on, trigger pull is a bit heavy, but from what I have read, will get better. I was looking for a small 44 that I could carry in my pocket, and the Bulldog fills the bill.
cwmoss
Old August 3, 2013, 12:15 PM   #30
Bezoar

They are usuable budget level guns. Its like the person who buys a pietta SAA clone, you want a gun, that works, and doesnt have a price tag like a colt does.

Sure they may not be robust as say a ruger, but 90 percent of the people who buy a small handgun of this size, dont do much shooting period.

SW warranty stipulates 50 years or 50,000 rounds. and they estimate 1,000 rounds a year through a gun. Sure not everyone is going to say that their scandium jframe will survive 50,000 rounds either. but they both should get past 3,000.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:55 PM   #31
LewSchiller

We - my wife mainly - have put around 500 rounds through an Undercover we bought last February.

A week or so ago it acted up on her - hanging up. She needs it next weekend for a live fire class, I called CA service and explained the situation. They turned it around in their shop in less than a day and had it on its way back to me.

Companies can talk about their warranties - but CA has demonstrated their dedication to service - at least as far as we're concerned.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:19 AM   #32
kahrguy

With any revolver keep all the moving parts cleaned then lubed and they tend to work fine for many years. I have seen the star and paw dry on some newbes revolvers at a range stop working. A couple drops of breakfree and some function checks tend to clear up the problems.

My daughter has a charterarms undercover for a few years as her CC handgun. Its not had many rounds fired , maybe 800 but works fine .
Old August 4, 2013, 07:58 AM   #33
Leejack

I'd buy one.
Old August 5, 2013, 02:03 PM   #34
franco45

I just picked up a 3 inch Bulldog Classic and put a 2 1/2 inch dao Bulldog on layaway. The Classic looks just like the first generation Bulldog and has a much nicer bluing than the other modern CA offerings. The classic will do hd duty and the dao will be carried owb this winter.
Old August 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #35
Ferretboy

I am in the market for a .357 Mag Pug, and am considering selling my S&W M36 to get one at this point. My better half has the Lavender Lady in .38 Spec and we have never had an issue with it, it fires great and goes where you point it. She uses it as her CCW.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:59 PM   #36
GuateShooter

I have the off duty DAO .38 spl, its simply great, its the perfect partner for my glock, everybody must have one!!
Old August 25, 2013, 01:31 PM   #37
BillCA

As others have said, the company has gone through several incarnations and gone by various names. The current company seems to be doing things right, as evidenced by one local gun shop owner saying he's sold a slew of them, yet only had one with a problem.

Of all their guns, I like their .44 Bulldog and their .32 Undercoverette in .32 H&R magnum. The .44 makes for a formidable defensive gun. What the cartridge lacks in energy it makes up for with pure mass. One owner I knew loaded his with a 200 grain full wadcutter pushing about 840 fps. I pictured one big hole left behind. Or as is fashionable to say today, Oh, that's gonna leave a mark.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:17 PM   #38
BubbaBlades

I had some very favorable dealings with Charter Arms this week so I thought I would share some info. I broke the hammer block on my .40 Pit Bull and was not looking forward to being without the gun during the shipping and repair process associated with my returning the gun to Charter Arms. I called Charter Arms and explained my problem to the head of their customer service Dee Ecker. She sent me a replacement hammer block within a few days and I repaired the gun 15 minutes after the part arrived.
This .40 revolver makes a perfect back-up to my .40 STI and .40 Glock. Charter Arms has not only produced a CCW sized .40 revolver but one that works without moon clips.

As others have stated, Charter Arms makes a good usable product at a reasonable price. I will add my personal comments that their customer service and design innovations are outstanding.

Mark
Old August 25, 2013, 03:20 PM   #39
lee n. field

Quote:
The .44 makes for a formidable defensive gun. What the cartridge lacks in energy it makes up for with pure mass. One owner I knew loaded his with a 200 grain full wadcutter pushing about 840 fps. I pictured one big hole left behind. Or as is fashionable to say today, Oh, that's gonna leave a mark.
Same ballistics as a .45 ACP. On paper, anyway.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 25, 2013, 03:55 PM   #40
overkill0084

I've owned a Charter Undercover from about 1990. It was my first SD handgun. It's not pretty like my Colt. It's not a tank like my Dan Wesson. It has however, served just fine since I've owned it. You want refinement or a great aesthetic experience? Great, prepare to pay accordingly. I'd recommend Charter Arms before Taurus (I've got one of them too.) For those that care, they are US built as well. Thankfully, Charters seem to function better than they look (The opposite of Taurus IMHO.)
This thread got me looking at their site. The Pathfinder series might need a closer look.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 25, 2013, 04:34 PM   #41
lee n. field

Quote:
Thankfully, Charters seem to function better than they look (The opposite of Taurus IMHO.)
That's one thing I noticed with my vintage 2013 Undercover. Where it counted, the metal work is good. Places where it doesn't matter, like the sight trough, a little rougher.

Compare the ejector star area of a Charter to that of a Taurus.

(Yes, I own both.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 25, 2013, 06:41 PM   #42
Toney

I see charter and the cheap h&r as bottom of the barrel.