The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 29, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

New Florida bill(s), changes to gun owner(s) SOPs/mental health...

Media reports in Florida say new bills pushed thru the state elected officals will modify/change some Florida gun-2A laws re; mental health issues.

The topic has been a sticky subject for some TFL forum members but not for me(and frankly a few other TFLers who could understand the point).
New FL gun laws would deny ownership/licenses(W/G) to those have serious mental health issues(even if the person requests treatment/mental health therapy: voluntary).

The new Florida bill(s) have strong support from both the 2A/NRA groups(Marion Hammer) and mental health professionals/gun control supporters.

I do not want to re-charge the "what is a mental disorder" debate or go in circles again, I just want the TFL members to be aware of these new FL political actions which IMO are prudent and deserve support by the general public.

CF
www.myfloridalegal.com www.myflorida.com www.floridafirearmslaw.com
Old March 29, 2013, 07:33 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I am in Florida and would like to know more about this. Do I have to be worried if I'm treated for anxiety or depression? What about something a little more severe like bipolar? And can you regain your rights at some point after therapy?

Links to where you found this would be great.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Links to where you found this would be great.
Yes. Unless we can read the actual proposed legislation, there's really nothing to discuss.

The links in the OP go to various Gov./non-Gov. home pages that have no information about this.

Please provide us with a link to the proposed legislation, ClydeFrog.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:42 AM   #4
JimmyR

I am only guessing, but i think the law Clyde is suggesting is in this article:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...apons-f/nWxjs/

From my understanding of the article, this applies ONLY to those who have been ordered to a psychiatric facility for a 72 hour observation admission (I assume this is a Baker Act; Kentuckians know it as a Mental Inquest Warrant, and Hoosiers like myself know it as an Emergency Detention Order. Each state has their own laws about what constitutes criteria for an involuntary admission, but, in general, if someone is considered an imminent threat to themselves or to others by both a physician and a judge, the person can be admitted without their consent.

Personally, I would only support this if someone were able to earn their right to own a firearm again after such an event had happened. We had a lady that had an EDO taken against her by a co-worker who happened to be a nurse, and convinced a doctor to sign on and got approval from a judge based on a loose interpretation of a statement made by that person. It should never have happened, but it did. I don't know how many times this has happened, but I am sure this was not the first time it has happened.
Old March 30, 2013, 02:47 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Gov resources...

The Florida public websites I posted have open source access to the bills & govt actions related to the post(s).

If you want to check more media sources, see; www.orlandosentinel.com www.wftv.com www.clickorlando.com www.cfnews13.com .

As stated, these new laws will prevent violent or unstable persons from buying or owning firearms.
The NRA & other Florida gun rights groups support it. It's not saying a person seeking mental treatment will be subject to denial but a violent or unstable person in FL won't be able to buy a firearm w/o being cleared.
People should not fear the govt. This new law is practical & a good way to prevent active shooters/unstable people.

It's not perfect but no law ever is.
Old March 30, 2013, 04:11 AM   #6
JimmyR

Clyde, you are giving us lots of places to look but nothing to look for except "new bills pushed thru the state elected officals" concerning restricting the mentally ill's access to firearms. It would help if we knew what bill you were talking about, or even if the article I posted above is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
I am only guessing, but i think the law Clyde is suggesting is in this article:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...apons-f/nWxjs/
Old March 30, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
The Florida public websites I posted have open source access to the bills & govt actions related to the post(s).
In that case, please provide a direct link, on one of those sites, to the bill in question. You're the one who wanted to discuss it, so it would be polite not to make the rest of us spend time figuring out just which bill it is, and trying to find it.

Without this information, there's nothing to discuss, and the thread will be closed.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #8
JerryM

I would have to know more about it before I would support it. It is easy to say that
" It's not saying a person seeking mental treatment will be subject to denial but a violent or unstable person in FL won't be able to buy a firearm w/o being cleared."

My observations of the govt enforcement of such non-specific statements is that when the "wrong" person has the authority to deny purchases he will greatly broaden the definitions and conditions so that many will be declared to be "likely violent or unstable" and will abuse the original intent.

Beware of the law unless it is so specific that it cannot be abused by some anti who comes to power.

"People should not fear the govt."
Are you kidding me???

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Details...

The FL elected offical is Rep Barbra Watson(D-Miami Gardens) www.Myfloridahouse.gov . Her new bill is 1355.

CF
Old March 31, 2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

The page for the bill in question is here.

It seems to cover involuntary commitments, which is a bit redundant, and implies a venue by which rights can be restored.